Fedora 13

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
badmotor

Fedora 13

Post by badmotor »

Anyone had a go on this yet? Opinions? I remember someone said that they have been working harder on being more usable/stable?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Fedora 13

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I am on Fedora 14! :D But when I tried F13 RC a couple months ago it was already pretty good. I had no problems. You should probably try it if you have an interest, by all accounts in their forum this is supposed to be a pretty significant release.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I have the x86_64 DVD now, looking to try it out. Especially interested in using Xfce simply because I'm interested in trying Xfce (I normally use GNOME). I don't like KDE, it's too... pretty. The DVD at least lets me use any of them without having 6 different Live CDs :lol:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

My download of Fedora 13 Xfce (amd-64) via Torrent ... just completed a few minutes ago.

I'll share my review and impressions about Fedora 13 -Xfce ... shortly.

Of course, I'll install it via Virtualbox first. :mrgreen:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
FedoraRefugee wrote:I am on Fedora 14! :D
Hey!! I though you were a Fedora "refugee"

That had finally seen the light ... escaped ... and went "green" :mrgreen:
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Hey Badmotor,
Installed in yesterday night and have been running it since. Have the F13 Gnome x64 version and runs great. More work getting things to run like my music from iTunes, but did not take long to get that working. Everything seems to work out of box for your basic stuff. Video and Audio. Runs and boots quick. Initial updates post install went fine, no crashes so far. All and all seems fine for as long as I have been running it. Still will need to further test but seems failey bug free on my system. :)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I was browsing the "enemy" forum and came across a neat post in the "is Fedora ready for noobs" thread. (yes, they have one too :roll: )

This was written by AdamW, who is one of the developers and one of the decent guys over there. He writes:
Mostly I think of Fedora as being the 'concept car' of user-friendly Linux distributions. You wouldn't necessarily use a concept car as a daily driver, but concept cars exist _because the bits that get developed in them eventually wind up in daily drivers_. So it is with Fedora; we develop the cool stuff that goes mass market twelve months later. But because you get it early in Fedora, all the corners aren't necessarily knocked off yet.
He gets it. And many of the developers there still get it. Though many others want to be all tings to all people like another friend Scott says in the same thread:
Well, that's what I've always seen about the schizophrenic aspect of Fedora. It drives people away because it's gotten too much like Windows, making decisions for you, sacrificing performance, security and control for convenience and eye candy.....no more of those pesky passwords, any user can now update any installed package, so long as the update is signed.

So, seems a natural fit for the newcomer fleeing Windows or Apple. However, it falls short there too, as it puts in all the latest things and is often broken. So *that* group then tries something else, e.g., Ubuntu (or its derivatives), PCLinuxOS, or the like.

Somewhere on the Fedora project docs, they describe a few different types of target users, but it seems that they wind up alienating most of them, trying to do something for one of the others.
I think these two posts perfectly describe what Fedora is supposed to be and how it is being driven into being something that it should not. Fedora should NOT try to be all things to all people, it is a concept car. It is a test bed. It is a fun, exciting distro that is unfortunately being driven by internal politics lately. The end result is actually a much more stable yet more conservative Fedora. From what I have seen F13 may be the best "usable" Fedora yet, but just don't let the shiny coat and groomed mane and tail fool you, it is still a wild mustang underneath!

Vrkalak, I just cant stay away from it, I have Fedora blue in my blood! :D Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on F13 final, I have yet to DL and try it.
recent-convert

Post by recent-convert »

I'm been using F13 for the past three days. It's stable and usable; I can't see any advantages over Mint/Ubuntu for a user of my (in)experience level, but I can at least run it without any issues.

Hopefully a few months of F13 will teach me a lot about Linux.
gogogadget

Post by gogogadget »

I have read about a "Lucky 13" version which is claimed to have working Audio/Video, Flash, Java etc. out of the box. Is that true?

Also there is a rumor that proprietary Ati driver will not work at all and one must use the Open Source Radeon drivers instead. Is that true?
CDS

Post by CDS »

I have tried lucky 13, but unlucky. I installed in USB drive, boot from acer netbook. It doesn't show default softwares properly. Burn on a DVD, boot up from notebook. It seems promising, shows all the default software, seems snappy. Then I installed as 3rd OS, and I used grub2 from my previously installed Ubuntu 10.04. When I reboot, GUI has been changed exactly to Ubuntu GUI, no more looks of Mint interface. I played around with firefox, most of the website can't be opened. Disappointed! So far any variant of mint works well.
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

I installed the Fedora 13 Community Remix
http://fcoremix.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/lucky-13/

Here are my thoughts/criticisms/review

The installer wasn't as polished/colourful e.g. the partitioner has no colours and almost looks text based
Even though I had selected UK English (what other is there? :lol: ) for the Live CD, when I started the installer it defaulted to US English ( :cry: )
It put Vista in Grub as 'Other' and didn't even pick up Mint, but the GUI to add new entries and rename existing ones worked fine.
The Live CD uses the mintMenu, however, after installing the Gnome Menus were used :?:
The Default background is nice, however, the Default theme is very 'flat' and the overall feel isn't great.
MP3s and YouTube worked straight away.

The overall first impression was that it was a bunch of odds and ends thrown together.
There didn't seem to be any decision in what application to add and there were duplicates for the same task.
e.g. includes Chromium and Firefox, includes F-Spot, GIMP and Picasa

Fedora uses yum instead of apt.
I didn't try the command line, but the GUI is via PackageKit.
This feels neither as complete as Synaptic nor as detailed as the Mint Software manager.

You can't seem to restart/shutdown directly from your session. You have to log out first.

You keep being asked for the root password to mount your internal drives.

All in all, I couldn't see anything to distinguish Fedora 13 Community Remix from any other GNOME based distro.
There is no feeling of branding, that you are using Fedora.
It feels scrappy and, to be honest, I feel like I wasted of 1.4 GB bandwidth downloading it.

EDIT: There are some Admin Tools that look quite good and have some branding.
The Add Users/Groups, Services listing and Firewall all look quite good.
I guess this makes sense as Fedora is a test-bed for Red-Hat and Red-Hat is primarily server rather than Desktop focussed.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I just installed it, but had to reboot into Slackware to download my wireless driver.

I haven't played with it much yet, but there are a couple nice things I've noticed so far. It uses a hybrid ISO; I'm using a netbook with no optical drive, so that's very nice. And the installer automatically unlocked my LUKS partition and detected all my LVM2 volumes... Awesome :D

Time to play with it some more!
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Ya know what I like the most about new Fedora releases? The action in the forum. It is hilarious! You get a whole shi...truck load of noobs in trolling about how awful Fedora is. For me that was always great sport! Kind of like cyber-pheasant shooting. I will give an example by using a real thread over there, names have been deleted to protect the stupid:
I used the Fedora site to download 13. And to my surprise the default download is the "Live CD" What's this all about?? I installed it and it appears to be cripple ware. No openoffice, no file browser, and missing a whole lot of other things. I can't even find wget to download and install some files.

If the developers are trying to compete with Ubuntu, they have a long way to go. I suggest going back to the normal DVD download. I finely did find the full DVD, but only after some serious searching.

Not a good release guys.
This dunderhead downloads the wrong ISO so the release sucks? Then he is too stupid to find the package manager to just install what he needs? Then goes on a rant about how Fedora will never beat Ubuntu. Surprised he didn't mention Windows, a glaring omission... Anyway, it is posts like this that make me regret hanging up my hat over there. I am still a member but I quit posting.

But what is even more comical than these constant trolls are the responses! From all the regulars! It is the Fedora Forum party line that, "the developers are not here, we are just users..." Okay this is true... And you get constant replies to threads like the above similar to this:
/me sees more complaining in a venue the devs/website managers don't frequent
/me whistles and saunters along
I like the guy that made this reply, he is an old friend and one of the ones over there that actually has it together. But what the heck? Of course people are going to be complaining about the distro in the forum, the site is FEDORAforum.org!!! Why the heck do you think you exist? Continually telling people that the devs are not here and that they need to try to find the mystery link that actually allows them to communicate with developers (it does not exist! It is a wild goose chase, the developers DO NOT CARE what YOU think!) is not only unproductive, it is a huge turnoff! Better to just address the complaints yourself, that IS why you are there! The above post is an obvious troll, treat it as such! Make fun of the dude. Mention that he could have used yum to install his stuff. Bore him to death with a tirade on how Linux distros are not in competition with each other and if anyone wants to use Ubuntu they are more then welcome. Or mollycoddle him and agree with what he is saying and continue the troll. Whatever. But continually crying that the devs aren't here every time someone has a complaint gets older than the complaints themselves!

Sorry for this post, but I had to get it out. It is both sad and humorous and says it all about the state of fedora. It is a great distro, but do not expect much in the way of human contact. The forum is great for answering questions but keep your personal opinions to yourself. The developers are in a world all their own and really do not care what you think. The only time anyone wants to even hear from you is if you want to join their little project and work for free. It simply is what it is i guess.

That is why I like this distro. The developers ARE here and they are more than happy to hear from you, even when it is negative.
mack_guy911

Post by mack_guy911 »

fedora is my default distro ............indeed very good and one of best distro i wrote a short tutorial on fedora 12 same things work on fedora 13 as well so far very stable

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre ... ght=wicked
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Tried F13 LXDE spin because Ubuntu / Mint wouldn't install on an old HP box, and it's pretty good - still like Mint (LXDE) better, because it has out of the box multimedia support, a nicer theming and is .deb based (just can't get used to rpm), but otherwise differences are marginal ...

Return to “Chat about Linux”