If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chris Weimer

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by Chris Weimer »

bigBuckets wrote:Crunchbang 10 "Statler" is now Debian based and very fast. It's in Alpha 2 but pretty stable.
I have 9.04 still on my gf's backup computer, it runs pretty fast as it is (especially compared to what I took off of it - Windows XP, which took 10 minutes to load and 10 minutes to shut down). I was thinking of something more user-friendly for her, though, so perhaps Peppermint. But unetbootin didn't install it properly on my USB drive (unless it's the hardware, but I'll figure that out when I burn the ISO to a CD tomorrow).
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Back to "plain" Ubuntu ... with some post install configuration I guess you could get pretty close, but what I like about Mint is, that they spare me that effort
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

At this stage? Prob Mandriva. Perhaps PCLOS. If Ubuntu could actually bother to clear up some of the annoying bugs that seem to be ignored, perhaps also them. Mint makes it bearable, and quite pleasant, but we still inherit some annoying bugs.

I've been quite impressed with recent releases of Mandriva, very nice, mostly lacking some of the software depth we currently have, and would miss some of what i've grown used to. The Mandriva Control Center is a def plus in it's favour, plus i've found it very stable, reliable, and fun to use. PCLOS is still "good", but it seems "over-loaded" with stuff of late from a default install. More apps/packages, but doesn't feel as "polished" as it once did.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

I would probably turn to Mandriva. I've always liked that distro and it was a tough choice for me to pick between Mint and Mandriva. Or I might jump to something of a different flavour and go with PC-BSD.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Debian
Progressor

Post by Progressor »

As an unexperienced user I would probably go to Mandriva, or Ubuntu.
But there's a chance Ill go distrohopping. Try annything from Gentoo to Arch Linux. :-p
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Midnighter wrote:PCLOS is still "good", but it seems "over-loaded" with stuff of late from a default install. More apps/packages, but doesn't feel as "polished" as it once did.
PCLOS has two additional editions: KDE MiniMe and Gnome ZenMini, both with a minimum of installed applications. :wink:
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

AndrewH wrote:
Midnighter wrote:PCLOS is still "good", but it seems "over-loaded" with stuff of late from a default install. More apps/packages, but doesn't feel as "polished" as it once did.
PCLOS has two additional editions: KDE MiniMe and Gnome ZenMini, both with a minimum of installed applications. :wink:

Yeah, I've used both, and liked the format. But the menuing for the KDE version is all over the place, and not consistent. At least Mandriva has the menuing more consistent and easy to follow, simple categories with everything under those, not spread out everywhere. Like I said, it's fine, but nowhere near as "polished" as it used to be. And the Mini versions also tend to be lacking a lot, with no way to be prompted for missing codecs when you go to play media files, such as in Ubunut/Mint, or even Mandriva or Fedora. A huge oversight. Only the full version has all your media needs, and it's bloated more than the Blob from the X-Men. I desperately want to like it, it used to be a fave for years, but despite requesting things, and pointing out the benefits, I've had threads requesting/discussing such things just deleted, with no explanation whatsoever. The forum over there is overly-regulated, and frankly, except for a lot of backslapping, and a few knowledgable members, mostly it's a pain to get anything out of there. In my eyes, it's nowhere near the height of glory it once took. And it's far from "radically simple", especially in this day and age, where, if it doesn't have what is needed installed already, there is nothing to guide you as to what is needed, you have to guess.

Meh, I'm just so over the fact they never listen, and delete threads without any explanation. They clearly don't feel any need to explain themselves. Claims of "community" don't have any weight when they simply don't bother to communicate with you. And community is what's important most of all. Is why I keep coming back here.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
vtired

Post by vtired »

I am writing this on Debian. So for now I can say that I would use Debian. I feel comfortable with any of the few distros that I have managed to install. I can comfortably use mandriva family and open solaris. One thing that I haven't managed to get working is Fedora. I know it's easy for those who have it. For me not yet easy.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I've used a few PCLOS versions, and it was pretty good. Haven't kept up with it. I had only one or two fairly minor complaints about the distro itself. I thought it was still one of the better distros out there. As Midnighter pointed out, it kinda bugged me the way they would delete forum threads. PCLOS was relegated to the back burner here, something I thought I might try out again sometime when I was bored.
Monarch

Post by Monarch »

i would use a beretta 9mm
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Sabayon.

Just tested the LiveCD out last night and worked right out of the box just like Mint and PCLinuxOS, but it's a true rolling release unlike PCLOS. If Mint doesn't do the Debian version, I might be tempted to move over to the dark side! -- their default colors are dark. ;)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Peppermint would stay as my primary system, Sidux would stay as my secondary. I would need to replace Mint 9 x64 on one of my partitions so I'd probably put Sidux there as well. Either that or I'd finally finish a 64 bit Peppermint build.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Kendall wrote:Peppermint would stay as my primary system, Sidux would stay as my secondary. I would need to replace Mint 9 x64 on one of my partitions so I'd probably put Sidux there as well. Either that or I'd finally finish a 64 bit Peppermint build.
HMMM a sidux user;) I'd use it, too (I was a satisfied customer for 5 years), tho I'd probably install gnome on it.
-Hinto
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

Anything that isn't a KDE release. Yucky.
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

Mandriva 2010.1 is an excellent very stable distro as is Fedora 13 and openSUSE 11.3.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Oh please, I hope this will never happen, maybe Debian or peppermint then

I have already switch 2 people over to Mint and counting
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

Two months, & several tomorrows since the question was posted, LinuxMint is still here, so the question is a wee bit daft :lol:

Even if Clem did decide to call it a day, there are many others involved in the project, so it would keep rolling. Besides this, as it's derived from Ubuntu, it would be easy to 'Mintify' one's own version, using all those useful customising tools.

Still, if it came to it, then I'd either use a version of Ubuntu, simply because it's compatible all my hardware & backed-up apps, or Debian Stable, or any other Debian-based distro, for the same reason.

If all of that went, then that would be THE END :shock:

I would abandon computers forever, & return to using a chalkboard & an abacus :mrgreen:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

An abacus.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
axel668

Post by axel668 »

I'd go back to SUSE KDE (from Mint XFCE)

Return to “Chat about Linux”