If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Theologian

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by Theologian »

Elisa wrote:BTW I do not like steroids :x and don't think Linux is a DOS on steroids.
I'd rather say Linux is like an eastern Guru's teaching practising in the 'western' or 'modern' aka commercial :roll: life... :idea:
I'd think of M$W as DOS on steroids: over-built & dangerous to the underlying 'physiology' of the system, & potentially leading to a heavy dependency.

While there are some Linuces that are like a certain type of eastern gurus doing the western way: 'I am the guru & if my distro doesn't work for you, then you can go elsewhere', the general ethos of Linux seems to be more along the lines of Osho/Baghwan Sri Rajneesh: 'What do you want to do?', or Don Shimoda: 'You're free to do whatever you want to do in life.'
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

Theologian wrote:
linuxviolin wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:Hard to say, but it would definitely be Linux. Fortunately there is little danger of Linux Mint going away. If Clem were to retire (sorry Clem, you're stuck with us for life) someone would pick up the torch and keep Mint going.
Yes, maybe, but the new person may not follow the Clem way or at least not follow a way you like... You know, one knows what one leaves but one doesn't know what one is going to have... :wink:
Absolutely true, but can anyone in the 'Linux Movement' really be expected to follow another's lead? They may do so for a while, until they get used to the system; but you can be sure that the flavour would be as different as one would expect from different chefs cooking the 'same' dish: this is evinced by the number of 'minority' distros, some of which seem to be 'one person jobs'.

Personally speaking, within 30mins of a fresh install, I will probably have removed at least 100MiB of apps that I don't want; THEN I will do the system update; THEN I will install apps that I do want. Within 1 month of installation, I will effectively have a different distro, apart from the core & the desktop, unless I change them too, in which case I should probably think about
I agree with you. I don't think I have ever used a distron in its default. Apps come and go and I like customized themes for my particular mood of the day/week/month. So if one would look at just my desktop, I think they will find it to be impossible to guess which distro it is. Mint 8 changed colors many times here...
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

Most likely fedora or RHEL as i more experience with them.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer
Stupidest thing I've heard in a while.
penguinuser

Post by penguinuser »

I'd just use Ubuntu and customize it myself.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Debian, stable and testing
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i think id try MoonOS. it looks good and pretty. kinda looks like mints baby sister
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Hi,

I would go for Parsix. In my opinion it is an underated Debian testing based OS.

I altenate between LMDE and Parsix - find the OS is impossible to fault!

Dyfi
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Dyfi wrote:...Parsix - find the OS is impossible to fault!...
Why do u think so? :) Reading this - http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/02/12/pa ... -2-review/ it doesn't sound very positive... :wink:

[2.] Okay :D The review URL is taken from distrowatch.com :)
Last edited by Elisa on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Hi Elisa,

Everything on Parsix that I use works and I have not been able to break the system as yet.

Have been using on and off for about two months now. The only program I was unable to install satisfactorily was Truecrypt. Apparently this is a Debian weakness. I use ccrypt instead.

Would have no hesitation in recommending the OS. The review in your link is not for the current release - a book should not be judged by its cover, but needs to be read!

Dyfi.
TuxNerd

Post by TuxNerd »

If Mint left us, I would probably go with Fedora. Good experience of it and never really had a problem. Everything in it is as simple as Mint. Great Distro, 14 is very impressive.
masqueofaghost

Re: Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you u

Post by masqueofaghost »

sjonesy wrote:Most likely fedora or RHEL as i more experience with them.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer
Stupidest thing I've heard in a while.
Considering Microsoft has built its empire on the back of other peoples ideas, that Balmer quote is kinda funny.

Back on topic, think I'd go to Arch. Not sure why, maybe because it's one of the more hardcore nerd distros. Gentoo is the only thing with bigger nerd factor really.

-----
Someone Swyped my idea.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

TuxNerd wrote:If Mint left us, I would probably go with Fedora. Good experience of it and never really had a problem. Everything in it is as simple as Mint. Great Distro, 14 is very impressive.
I installed Fedora for the first time a couple of months ago. Nice! So far, looks like one of the better distros that I've got installed here.
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paulo.delavega »

Changed my mind.

Installed MoonOS 4 on my sister's PC and I'm loving it.

Simple, good looking, fast... it's my new choice after Mint :D
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

Changed my mind too.

If LM disappeared tomorrow I'd crawl under a rock and cry. None of the other OS's are any good and Canonical is a *censored* for what they did to Mint with the Software Center recently.
timmer1240

Post by timmer1240 »

Ide either go back to ubuntu or go to open suse gnome desktop theres a new one I just tryied thats cool is Trisquel that was nice also So MANY GOOD Choices!
Robin

Post by Robin »

Probably Xubuntu, PCLinuxOS, or Debian Squeeze (Xfce). However, there's no rule that says you ever have to upgrade or even update your OS if it's working perfectly and doing what you need and want it to. So until it stopped doing what I need and want it to, I'd just keep using Linux Mint 9 Xfce!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:
TuxNerd wrote:If Mint left us, I would probably go with Fedora. Good experience of it and never really had a problem. Everything in it is as simple as Mint. Great Distro, 14 is very impressive.
I installed Fedora for the first time a couple of months ago. Nice! So far, looks like one of the better distros that I've got installed here.
Quite right. But the XFCE spin for me because with 15 you'll have the shi*** GNOME 3 and all its "technologies"... :twisted:
Robin wrote:However, there's no rule that says you ever have to upgrade or even update your OS if it's working perfectly and doing what you need and want it to.
You really think you should/could use any version of a distro, even if this version is no longer supported? :roll:
Last edited by linuxviolin on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Tigre[BR]

Post by Tigre[BR] »

In my case, if Linux Mint disappeared, I would probably use Big Linux because it a brazilian distribuition of Linux totally in portuguese.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow I would use Debian as my main OS however I would install Ubuntu/Lubuntu on other peoples computers because it's easier than Debian.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Robin wrote: However, there's no rule that says you ever have to upgrade or even update your OS if it's working perfectly and doing what you need and want it to. So until it stopped doing what I need and want it to, I'd just keep using Linux Mint 9 Xfce!
Way to go, Robin. Best answer yet.

As long as Mint still works ... keep using it until it doesn't. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”