If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by nomko »

Agree with you Nightstrike2009. I can't be bothered with Ubuntu neither. I tried 12.04 but damn..... that Unity is so ugly!!! Can't get used to it. Not my cup of tea :!: Debian....tried that too....always had issues with really ugly font rendering! Couldn't fix it and don't want to spend no more time on that issue. And i don't think Debian will ever fix this. I used to work with Ubuntu from 7.04 up till 10.04LTS but never had any issues whatsoever! Debian can't compete with Ubuntu's font rendering.

Xubuntu is a good distro to try. But i don't like that menubar at the bottom... Could be fixed.
Fedora...Gnome 3....gives me a bad taste in my mouth, an Unity taste...

KDE based distro?? Maybe. Not sure which one to try. OpenSuse?

I think if the development continues regarding Gnome3 and Unity, i might even go back to (yuck :shock: :oops: ) Windows.

No, don't know what to do without MInt. Although Mint has its drawbacks, as example the (in my humble opinion) crippled/stripped Caja and/or Nautilus. Many features for Nautilus which i used under Ubuntu doesn't work or isn't available under MInt. Bloody shame....
Last edited by nomko on Fri May 18, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

nomko wrote:Debian....tried that too....always had issues with really ugly font rendering! Couldn't fix it and don't want to spend no more time on that issue. ... Debian can't compete with Ubuntu's font rendering.
+1 to this. I love Debian, but I don't like the font rendering... If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, I'd probably switch to something safe like Xubuntu or Lubuntu, possibly go adventurous with CrunchBang or Arch Linux (but I'd prefer to keep a Debian base I think).
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Don't want to use Ubuntu so I'd use Xubuntu, Mepis,Kubuntu,or Bodhi..Maybe SoulOS.
Last edited by Goz on Wed May 30, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Windows.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

/dev/urandom wrote:Windows.
Well, that certainly puts pressure on the developers :D "I'll only use this Linux thing as long as you guys make it!" :wink:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

I don't intend to put pressure on them. I just answered the question. ;)
nomko

Post by nomko »

/dev/urandom wrote:Windows.

In a world of Linux, who needs windows and gates...
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

In a world of BSD, who needs Linux?

Etc. etc.
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

probably Ubuntu, or Debian based SolusOS which is shaping up to be the coolest Debian!
Debian 11 Bullseye Xfce: HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I'd use SolusOS, Debian Testing, or something of the sort. I could probably install the wheezy SolusOS alphas, which I presume point to testing, and use them to run solusOS based on testing. I've given up Ubuntu for now (I'm starting to transfer to LMDE), so I don't think I'd use any Ubuntu based distro, although if I were to come back the choices include PinguyOS and ZorinOS.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

If Mint disappears, I'll use one of probably three choices.

1) Ubuntu - Since Mint is pretty much Ubuntu with a few tweaks, it wouldn't feel too unfamiliar to me in terms of how it functions underneath. The Unity interface might get me, but it is usable. If I couldn't get used to the Unity interface, I'd use MATE, or Cinnamon (if someone is still maintaining it).

2) Mepis Linux - I used it for a few months before. It's a pretty good operating system, and it's not too difficult to use.

3) Windows - It is very possible that I would go back to Windows if my first two options didn't pan out well for me. Chances of this happening if Mint goes away are next to non-existent at this point.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

I would use Sabayon linux 9 with gnome shell, a friend of mine is using it and it is very cool and is a rolling distro!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Agree. Sabayon 9 is gorgeous. I have the KDE version. It's nice and quick, though.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Adelante wrote:Agree. Sabayon 9 is gorgeous. I have the KDE version. It's nice and quick, though.
Same here. To my eyes, it's the most beautiful KDE desktop I've ever seen. I've only had it running here for a few weeks (well, the release date was June 9), but it sure looks like a nice distro!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Sabayon? Oh my God! Probably not, no thanks. Fedora, Mageia... With probably exclusively KDE, at least currently. Windows 7, a relatively good OS, even if some can think the contrary... :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
dholz

Post by dholz »

Actually BackTrack5 is kinda fun, although u might want to add a user for everyday use. Otherwise I really think the phone/tablet will be the most used when this laptop croaks so I'd be looking to port an alternative OS on the tablet at least....
ardchoille

Post by ardchoille »

If I couldn't install Mint I'd be using Debian.
Iurydice

Post by Iurydice »

I hope the scenario never happens, but I'd probably resort to Debian, maybe even Arch. Actually, I've never had a single-boot system, so I'd definitely sport two distros - Debian AND Arch, possibly Fedora as the third option. No going back to Windows, tho. :mrgreen:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Iurydice wrote:I've never had a single-boot system, so I'd definitely sport two distros - Debian AND Arch, possibly Fedora as the third option.
Debian would be a great choice.

And, I'll never go back to running only one distro. The way I figure it, I didn't like being tied down to only Windows, so why should I tie myself down to any one Linux distro?
Iurydice

Post by Iurydice »

MALsPa wrote:And, I'll never go back to running only one distro. The way I figure it, I didn't like being tied down to only Windows, so why should I tie myself down to any one Linux distro?
Exactly :D Having just one distro gets boring pretty quickly, at least to me :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”