Arch's programs stability

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mr. Alex

Arch's programs stability

Post by Mr. Alex »

Hi different distros' users!
Just wondering how stable is software in Arch? It updates too often. And mostly it is no good for stability. The distro might be pretty stable itself but what about programs from its repositories? You opinion (if you post it you probably have used Arch, right? :wink: ).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thenewguy

Re: Arch's programs stability

Post by thenewguy »

I'm not sure why you'd want to talk about Arch on a Mint forum, but I'll bite. I haven't used Arch for any amount of time, but I do get a lot of help requests from Arch users. Though the Arch team does pretty well putting together a rolling release, it does have the occasional breakage issue. Actually, they have enough upgrade issues I actually keep a response template to e-mail people that basically says, "It sounds like you're running Arch Linux. This error usually happens when a library is updated, breaking compatibility with your program. To fix this issue, you can.... "
Bill Gates

Post by Bill Gates »

I've only used Arch for maybe 15 minutes, so I can't really say much, but I remember seeing a similar thread on linuxquestions
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ux-782581/
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

thenewguy wrote:I'm not sure why you'd want to talk about Arch on a Mint forum, but I'll bite.
Because the forum is called "Chat about Linux & Other Distributions"? :lol: :wink:
Last edited by AndrewH on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

thenewguy wrote:This error usually happens when a library is updated, breaking compatibility with your program. To fix this issue, you can.... "
And what is going next? Is it as simple as "apt-get install -f"? Or more difficult?
xenobrain

Post by xenobrain »

This page offers a rough equivalent to that and other apt commands. However, in terms of fixing Arch, for me the easiest way usually involves the Arch Rollback Machine, then checking the updates advisories to find out if there are any special actions I need to take to enable an upgrade. This sometimes happens when there is some sort of updates that changes the underlying system architecture in some way.

In six years I've never encounter a large breakage that wasn't accompanied by an advisory of some sort. There were a couple small ones that weren't, but they were easy enough to fix by searching the forums.

Return to “Chat about Linux”