Chat about Linux in general

PCLinuxOS vs Cassandra

Postby kanishka on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:23 am

Comparing the PCLinuxOS vs Cassandra experience:

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/ste ... /pclinuxos
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: PCLinuxOS vs Cassandra

Postby JAK on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:25 pm

kanishka wrote:Comparing the PCLinuxOS vs Cassandra experience:

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/ste ... /pclinuxos

Thanks for pointing out that article, it was an interesting read. I had been a dedicated PCLOS user for a while until someone mentioned LinuxMint. I then bounced back and forth for a while between the two before deciding that LM has a better repository and things seemed to work quite a bit more "automagically" than PCLOS. They're both excellent distros, but I like the more polished and professional feel of LM. I'm a closet Gnome user and didn't know it until I met Cassandra.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

pclinux...

Postby 4thwall on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:41 pm

When I first started using linux I tried pc linux, and I still try their new releases, still not satisfied, plus I love gnome too much to go to kde, so I'm a Ubuntu and Mint user mostly. I also use blackbox on the side.
4thwall
Level 1
Level 1

Postby baba on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:03 am

I am running both trying to decide which I will use to replace Windows. To me, unquestionably, these are the top two. I think I must have played with a dozen others. No winner yet. I think my choice will be driven by which has the worst/most problems. I have convinced myself either can do the job except for the bugs. Right now I am having a printer problem with PCLOS. I think there is a bug setting up third party drivers but no response on the forums. Mint broke the scanner use with Feisty (Ubuntus fault). There is a work around but that has issues too. Great... Printer or Scanner, choose.

Other than that, I find no real preference between KDE and Gnome. I do like Mint using Ubuntu repositories and the ease of installing almost any deb. If I had to choose today,it would be Mint.

Another fear I have is that when I pick one, what if the Zenmaster, Clem or Texstar, says no more. I have not evaluated the impact of switching distros. This may be my most important factor.

Actually, in spite of the fact I really, really want to replace Windows, the winner may be........arghhhhh! I can keep all this going because I have set up my configurations to share and synchronize all the data files I have so I can just flip back and forth.
baba
Level 1
Level 1

Postby psycosmyth on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 am

Put Bill and Clement in a blender?
OOOOO!
PCMintOs.
Like you guys, I have used these two the most with Dream being the third wheel. It comes down to the Mandriva support versus Ubuntu support, and then it's down to RH and Deb. I love Texstar's twist on an old distro but the Linux growth in the last few years has been through Debian.
I can't decide, just pick the one that can go the years.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Postby alexander on Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:51 am

Bah PCLOS sucks if only due to the name and it's try hard M$ feel.

really, what is this about? ---> Image

/end rant
alexander
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Chat about Linux