my linux project

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acithium

my linux project

Post by acithium »

Okay, I'm going to undertake a project and I need some help.
I need a linux live CD that boots quick, has read only access to the HD, has wine installed along with a windows program (i will have to install this before I remaster the live cd). It must run on a laptop. I don't care about netowrk connectivity(actually, it would be better if it didn't work at all). I also need to lock down the system. I can't have anyone messing with the contents on the HD. Just read pdf files and fun a simple windows application (that i have already tested on wine).
Any suggestions on how to go about doing this.
My linux experience isn't extensive, but i'm not a noob (so I know what I'm getting myself into).

-Acithi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: my linux project

Post by bobcollard »

Might try oem-config-remaster in Synaptic Package Manager, (see attached) Another application called Remastersys, see this link: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-cust ... ersys.html
acithium

Post by acithium »

what would be a good distro to start with?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

acithium wrote:what would be a good distro to start with?
It depends upon too many factors to come up with something off the top of your head like that. How simple do you want it? What hardware are you using, etc. If you like Mint, stick with it and find one desktop that suits your needs. From simple LXDE to fancy KDE and everything in between is at your fingertips right here. Use something you are familiar with and add or remove whatever applications you feel necessary. I like XFCE, I slim it down to one Application per use and keep it light and fast with some convenience like Cairo-dock and GKrellM (a system Monitor) When you get everything just right make your CD.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

acithium wrote:what would be a good distro to start with?
Several light, quick distros come to mind.

Peppermint One, Peppermint Ice, Crunchbang 10 alpha.

Puppy Linux 5 may be a good choice.

I would not choose Sidux. Although it meets the light and fast criteria, it is not the best distro for users not completely at home in a terminal.

Any of the ones above are very fast and light on ram usage when installed and, if stripped down, could really fly. All are Debian or Ubuntu based so you have access to the Debian/Ubuntu repos as a source for applications.
jesica

Post by jesica »

PeppermintOS

Return to “Chat about Linux”