Linux is Not Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Linux is Not Windows

Post by carlos »

This is an excellent article geared towards those coming from Windows. Please read this first it will help set your expectations of linux and hopefully help you stick it out through the times when things are just not working out.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

It really helped me out when I first started using linux. I hope that you can find it helpful. :)
You'd be amazed how many people make this complaint.
They come to Linux, expecting to find essentially a free, open-source version of Windows.
- Quite often, this is what they've been told to expect by over-zealous Linux users.
However, it's a paradoxical hope.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sticky bit set :wink:
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Bump!
Read the article till the end. Had lots of two sided analogies.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Maybe it'll help my brother (avid Windows lover) understand why I enjoy Linux so much? Awesome article though.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

I like the 'Lego' example ... it's spot-on :D
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Yeah I always did play with legos a lot growing up :D.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

jbaerbock wrote:Yeah I always did play with legos a lot growing up :D.
Me too ... hmmm, thinking of it I'd still love to :lol:
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Well my wife and I plan to have a lego party someday so if you want to come to Mankato, MN USA you are welcome :D
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

An excellent read indeed! Great analogies all around. Now for the Lego party. Can you make it in August? Gets pretty hot here in AZ that time of year. :)
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Hey if you're in this general area sure why not :D. Not many registered Mint users in my area sadly :(
dracorX

A nice POV explaining defective views around.

Post by dracorX »

I like that article too. I think there goes a trend to make some distris too windows like, which I - honestly - don't like too much, although I'm involved in one.

But they can be a good intermediate step, till someone learns to love the freedom and - sometimes - even begins tinkering round with the system.

Me for my part am GLAD that Linux isn't like Windows ;-)
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Yeah I love linux and the ONLY reason I keep windows around is for games. But come the next release of Mint I may do a clean sweep and go Linux all the way :D.
dracorX

windows

Post by dracorX »

Hehe

I swiped my windows install some time ago. I have - however - still a virtual box with windows in it ;-)

That is enough for my needs...

You might want to check it out... and a feedback on gaming on it would also be nice, as I only need it for pokerstars.com
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: windows

Post by scorp123 »

dracorX wrote: and a feedback on gaming on it
For 'real' gaming things like VMware and VirtualBox are way too slow because they have too much overhead (they simulate an entire PC). For such stuff WINE or Cedega are better suited (they just emulate the API; games think they're running on Windows + DirectX).
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

True but some games just refuse to work on wine and cedega. And until ATI makes a Linux driver for my 200M card my card doesn't perform to is potential.
thyultimate

Re: Linux is Not Windows

Post by thyultimate »

Thanks man for the link, it was a wonderful article esp. since I just switched to Linux :D
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Good reading!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fred

Post by Fred »

BadFish wrote:
I think Linux should model itself after Windows (without the flaws) just like Ford is like Chevy. It is different, but like it. Linux will not be serious challenge until it realizes that Windows is the standard and Linux needs to meet its rival on its playing field.
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more! Unix and Unix like OSs were around before Windows came onto the scene and will be around after Windows has faded into the sunset.

Windows is a one company, one pony, proprietary mess. There is nothing "standard" about it. It might be your standard but it certainly isn't mine.

Linux was never intended to be a better Windows, and I hope it is never reduced to that. Linux is only in competition with Windows in the media's and some companies' minds. It certainly isn't in competition with Windows in most developer's and user's minds.

Linux is what it is; A better way of computing than some of the other OSs available, in my opinion. For those that wish to learn and use it, I applaud them for their good judgment. For those that are happy with whatever Microsoft dishes out, I wish them well. :-)

Microsoft might be in competition with Linux, but Linux is not in competition with Windows. And it shouldn't even try to be. I am reminded of an old saying, "never play another man's game unless your intent is to lose."

Fred
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

BadFish wrote:I think Linux should model itself after Windows (without the flaws) just like Ford is like Chevy. It is different, but like it. Linux will not be serious challenge until it realizes that Windows is the standard and Linux needs to meet its rival on its playing field.
Windows compares to Ford in the context that good ol' Henry once said: "You can have a T-Ford in any colour as long as it is back." which I feel sums up the windows philosophy pretty good :)
Fred wrote: Linux is what it is; A better way of computing than some of the other OSs available, in my opinion. For those that wish to learn and use it, I applaud them for their good judgment. For those that are happy with whatever Microsoft dishes out, I wish them well. :-)
Agree'd
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

BadFish wrote:Linux is not Windows but Ford is not Chevy, which is not Dodge, which is not Ferrari which is not Datsun. Yet if I am blindfolded in a Ford, I can probably find the radio, back seat and truck even if I am used to a Dodge I think Linux should model itself after Windows (without the flaws) just like Ford is like Chevy. It is different, but like it. Linux will not be serious challenge until it realizes that Windows is the standard and Linux needs to meet its rival on its playing field.
I understand where you are coming from, and I used to think like that 8 months ago, then 3 months ago, I just decided "screw it all. linux all the way", and all I've used in Linux. As someones signature said earlier "Learning Linux isn't hard. Unlearning Windows is."

Return to “Chat about Linux”