Best distros for Linux newbies

Chat about Linux in general

Best distros for Linux newbies

Postby jhsu on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I am a satisfied user of antiX Linux. antiX Linux has the rare combination of lightweight operation, a superior repository (gives users access to the Debian repository), and user-friendliness. Other distros can match or beat antiX Linux on one or even two of these criteria, but ALL other distros fall short in at least one area. Thus, in my opinion, antiX Linux is the gold standard. That said, I think there is room for antiX Linux to improve in the area of user-friendliness. I didn't have much difficulty figuring out how to do things, but I can see some things that a Linux newbie wouldn't like.

I am about to replace my current computer with a newer one that's powerful enough to run heavier distros like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I plan to temporarily use several other distros as my main distro. I learn distros best by using them for everyday use (web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.). After I purchase the newer used computer, I will install not only Puppy Linux (which I use for the CD burning programs) and antiX Linux (my preferred distro) but also a few others.

In addition to Ubuntu and GNOME-based Mint, what Linux distros did you find to be most user-friendly when you were a newbie? What Linux distros have proven in your observation to be the ones that newbies have the fewest questions about? I know that Ubuntu and GNOME-based Mint have won over many Linux newbies. I have tried Debian and know that this would NOT be a first good distro. In terms of user-friendliness, how do the special versions of Mint, OpenSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Sabayon, MEPIS, DreamLinux, and Peppermint compare to Ubuntu and GNOME-based Mint?

My plan from all this is to suggest improvements to antiX Linux. Just think of all the old computers that would be saved if more people used antiX Linux. I'm not sure how much time that the distro developers spend using other distros. I think every distro could learn from other distros.
jhsu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Best distros for Linux newbies

Postby thetank on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 am

I suggest going every day or hour to...;

(a) http://www.osnews.com

(b) http://www.distrowatch.com

(c)http://www.slashdot.com

Read the comments to each news post.
Ask the tough questions, but don't rely on the community to make your decisions.
This is a lesson I have learned the past 11 years.

Ease seems to be focused on package management and configuration.

Follow the money, or the code.

Read, which is worth every penny, Linux Format Magazine.

Research on distrowatch the upcoming Linux/Gnu/* distrobutions.

If you are busy with school and social life, download podcasts and listen to them, but don't forget to hear.

Study psychology.

I have found that after obsorbing as much info as I could, I would sleep in IT.

"The Earth does not belong to us, We belong to the Earth" Lynn McConnell
Ubuntu to Richard Stallman
thetank
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MALsPa on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:10 am

jhsu wrote:In addition to Ubuntu and GNOME-based Mint, what Linux distros did you find to be most user-friendly when you were a newbie? What Linux distros have proven in your observation to be the ones that newbies have the fewest questions about?

Personally, I think that Linux Mint, Mepis, and PCLinuxOS are the three best distros for newbies, with Ubuntu possibly being a fourth.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby tdockery97 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:36 am

MALsPa wrote:Personally, I think that Linux Mint, Mepis, and PCLinuxOS are the three best distros for newbies, with Ubuntu possibly being a fourth.

Wow, exactly what I would have picked, even in the same order. Great minds think alike.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Chat about Linux