How does redhat work?

Chat about Linux in general

How does redhat work?

Postby nolag on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:49 am

I know Redhat is open source. I know redhat charges for a copy. How? Can't I download the source and compile myself a free copy? Also does GPL allow you to charge for a copy? I thought you can only charge for support? I wanted to try it in a VM, sine so many servers run it, but I don't want to pay for any linux!
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?action=register&uid=2
nolag
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How does redhat work?

Postby caf4926 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 pm

If you want free Red Hat - Then it's fedora
Red Hat is the business end

Like Novell Suse Linux Enterprise and openSUSE
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby MysticGold04 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Yep what he said.. grab the latest Fedora 14 and give it a try - it was released today.
http://www.linuxmint.com/img/signatures/donors/1210.png
Acer Aspire 4730Z/4GB/Mint 16 Cinnamon x64
Homebuilt AMD Phenom II 545/4GB/Windoze 7 x64/Pulling HTPC duty
MysticGold04
Level 2
Level 2

Postby nolag on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:43 pm

I have tried Fedora (did not like it), but I was more curios how it is not a violation of GPL to do what they do. Also I was more interested in the server stuff that red hat enterprise linux has. I found out that CentOS is, apparently, red hat but removed logos and changed repos :P.

Thanks for the replies :).
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?action=register&uid=2
nolag
Level 1
Level 1

Postby monkeyboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 pm

nolag wrote:I know Redhat is open source. I know redhat charges for a copy. How? Can't I download the source and compile myself a free copy? Also does GPL allow you to charge for a copy? I thought you can only charge for support? I wanted to try it in a VM, sine so many servers run it, but I don't want to pay for any linux!

You know I haven't seen any indication that you can't market market under GPL. Take at look at their website I am fairly sure there is a full copy of the license posted there. As to a RH alternative, take a look at CentOS. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby linuxviolin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:32 pm

caf4926 wrote:If you want free Red Hat - Then it's fedora
Red Hat is the business end

Like Novell Suse Linux Enterprise and openSUSE

NO! Fedora is NOT a Red Hat clone. CentOS and Scientific ARE Red Hat clones. You can also want to read my post here and also the one by FedoraRefugee just above mine in the same topic: "Fedora is not the free version of RHEL."

nolag wrote:I found out that CentOS is, apparently, red hat but removed logos and changed repos

Yes, CentOS IS Red Hat minus logos, branding...

nolag wrote:I know Redhat is open source. I know redhat charges for a copy. How? (...) Also does GPL allow you to charge for a copy? I thought you can only charge for support? I wanted to try it in a VM, sine so many servers run it, but I don't want to pay for any linux!

You know, it's not the only distro where one asks you to pay and no, this is not a violation of the GPL. :) http://www.redhat.com/rhel/benefits/
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Chat about Linux