Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrHu

Re: Devices Lacking Linux Support Needed

Post by DrHu »

jeffreyC wrote:CD writers, many of them seem to only have maximum speed available in Linux.
It appears that more attention is given to burning Linux CDs in Windows than in Linux.
How can I get anyone to use Linux if I need to use Windows to burn a CD for them ?
How can I get anyone to use Linux if I need to use Windows to burn a CD for them ?..
Well, you couldn't but if they were interested, they wouldn't have as much of a problem, since one can purchase CDs for various Linux distributions at 1--2.00 per disk, sometimes cheaper..

I have used Linux with cd writers and even before that CD readers only and have never had a problem with brand names being supported under Linux, such brands as Plextor, Hitachi, LG, Pioneer, Sony etc.

It is up to the user and the application they are using under Linux to control the CD writer speeds
--if you have problems with CD writers producing toasters, you could invest the minimum amount needed to get a CDRW media, and use it as a scratch or test desk
  • I usually try MAX speed first for Linux ISO (bootable, live CD), and there is usually no problem, aprt from some distros that are sensitive to speed of burning, such as Ubuntu
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

jeffreyC wrote:CD writers, many of them seem to only have maximum speed available in Linux.
It appears that more attention is given to burning Linux CDs in Windows than in Linux.
How can I get anyone to use Linux if I need to use Windows to burn a CD for them ?
actually in apps like k3b or breasero there is a drop down box in the write window or next to the disc properties box to select the speed, and thats across LG, Samsung, LitE-ON, Sanyo burners i have here, and many other burners i have done installs on
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

The side scrolling feature on 4-way mice scroll wheels are not supported.

Some of the Tascam USB Audio-Midi interface controllers dont work. Some do, but not 'well'.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

The wifi drivers for some of the newer Toshiba laptops with 3d technology are missing.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite ... 960&sr=8-5
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The red/blue colour of the sound on/off button on my HP Pavilion dv6730, and some more HP's, does not work.
Last edited by AlbertP on Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Kodac 3000 series printer/scanners. There is a cups driver that will get it printing, but no scanning.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Ad Hoc wifi to tether with Android devices.
ausmuso

Post by ausmuso »

What's wrong with K3B? Beats any Windows app. I ever used. A must on every desktop!
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

What is wrong with K3B? Only 91 dependencies, total 241 megabytes.
241 megabytes to burn CDs ? I have seen whole Linux distros smaller than that !
I have two different Windows programs, which have to provide their own dependencies, and are only 5 megabytes.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That's on Gnome. On Gnome you could better use Gnomebaker if Brasero doesn't do the job and K3B pulls too much dependencies.
On KDE, K3B doesn't pull that much dependencies and MB's.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Actually that is on everything but KDE as K3B depends on most or all of KDE, even without recommends you only have three fewer
Gnomebaker is not in Debian testing only old stable (Lenny) and has not been updated in 3 years
Brasero only offers max speed
Tootler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tootler »

Zero Prime wrote:Kodac 3000 series printer/scanners. There is a cups driver that will get it printing, but no scanning.
I bought a Kodak PSC and had to take it back. Fortunately the shop understood the problem and let me exchange it.

Blackberry Smartphones. I got my Blackberry while I was still using Windows, but now I can't back up my data. The Barry Backup software for Linux is pretty useless as it backs up the user data in binary so I can't recover it and transfer it to another phone. At least if you have Windows you can back up contacts, calendar and notes in ASCII so you can easily recover and transfer them.

I do have a way out as my wife's computer uses Windows Vista so I will just have to use her computer to recover the data. A nuisance.

One of my pet Whinges is hardware manufacturers who only supply their software for Mac and Windows. Fortunately in a lot of cases the software is not really needed so no problem, but it is the fact that they do not recognise Linux, especially as the Linux user base is growing.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK
Mint 21.3
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Free drivers for Canon Pixma MP990 printer. Commercial one available for about $50 per computer, not good enough.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

This is a project from 2007. Many devices listed on the project's page are already having proper Linux support. For example, my cardreader and my TV tuner card are both working, but still listed on the todo page. And also the ath5k driver has been made for old Atheros chipsets.
As the page is that outdated, I think we should consider the project to be dead.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Needed Linux driver for Canon MP 990 Printer. Really only reason to keep Windows anymore. And I don't like the idea of shooting $50+ per computer to Turboprint, which does have a driver. Linux handles the scanning part of the MP990.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

As I said this project is dead. It's senseless to post which hardware isn't yet working.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Thread locked at OP's request

Return to “Chat about Linux”