Debian Squeeze

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Debian Squeeze

Post by exploder »

I installed Debian Squeeze today after running it for some time in a virtual machine. I must say, this is the most resource friendly distribution I have ever ran! I did a net install so everything was up to date out of the box. I installed flash, added the multimedia repos and have all multimedia playback working perfectly. I was surprised that Apple Trailers played by default and there was no double buffering or full screen issues of any kind! (I always have trouble with Apple Trailers) I used the icedtea plugin because I really wanted to stick to open source applications as much as humanly possible and it has always worked all right for what I need.

All my hardware was supported and I decided to stick with the open source drivers for my NVidea graphics because they work fine and I don't care about Compiz and the issues it tends to cause. Squeeze boots really fast and the default artwork looks pretty nice to me. I did switch the theme to the included "Dark Theme" but the default looked fine as well. All in all, Squeeze is the best release I have tried in a long time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Debian Squeeze

Post by willie42 »

Well so far its a winner with many on here. I have had no issues with it. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am surprised at how many problems I have dealt with in the past are not problems in Debian. :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Did you go with the Gnome DE exploder?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Did you go with the Gnome DE exploder?
Yes, I went with Gnome because it is the default and I wanted to see a system as bug free as possible.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Exploder, it is about time you showed up in Debian-land. What has been keeping you? :wink:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Exploder, it is about time you showed up in Debian-land. What has been keeping you? :wink:
Glad I saw the light! :D Seriously this is a very good release!

Edit: Also, Lenny did not play well with my 25" wide screen monitor. Squeeze works fine with all my hardware.
colyn

Post by colyn »

I was just reading here http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20101215 that Debian is stripping the kernel for Squeeze of all non-free bits. If you want these bits you will have to download from their unsupported archive.

I wonder does this include flash as well as video codecs?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I found a deb for flash and added the multimedia repos for everything else.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There is a bug with "Software Sources" not opening. I had to manually add the multimedia repo and add the public key. I would guess this is one of the bugs holding up the final release.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I downloaded the weekly build of Debian-Squeeze-Beta2-Xfce for Nov 29th.

Agreed ... the easiest and best Debian release and install I have ever done.

I kept up with the updates/upgrades, and now have an awesome Debian 6.0 Squeeze OS.

Also, placed an order for an Official Debian 6.0 DVD, to be sent to me, soon after the 'official release' of Squeeze.
I have a DVD of Debian Lenny (that I've had for almost 2 years now)

The 'official' Lenny DVD has everything on it (3.7Gb) ... Gnome, KDE, Xfce and Openbox, as well as, most every App. and driver pre-installed - that you might ever need.
You don't have to do a "net.install" ... it's all there. I expect the same and more from the upcoming DVD of Squeeze.

Return to “Chat about Linux”