gOS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

gOS

Post by 900i »

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/1 ... _linu.html

Here's a link to a review of Googles new OS, based on Ubuntu running E17. Going to be pushed by Walmart for $199. No love lost between MS and Google, and if Walmart and it's UK arm Asda can get this into stores before Xmas, MS could be in for an Xmas arse kicking.

P.S. Have downloaded the Iso and am dual booting at the moment, wireless working out of the box, just entered WPA passkey and online. E17 is certainly different, but usable for all net stuff, which I think is where this distro is aimed

http://900i.blogspot.com/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

This seems like too much of a toy to me. I think the Eee PC is in a much better position to change the way the market works.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

My point being, this product could potentially get a lot of exposure to a non-Linux savy audience. It could be a case of, if it gets me on the net,Myspace, Blogger, Msn and can use Googlemail and other net based apps, then why should I pay $100 more just to use windows? Eee Pc is a good piece of kit, but it's about exposure to new markets.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Sorry but I just dont see this taking off. People want to buy what they perceive to be a real computer, this thing just comes across as a stripped down thing that isnt a real computer.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

gOS? hmm... Who really needed gOS? :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

This is not from Google but has Google integrated apps.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

D-EJ915 wrote:That thing is twice as expensive and a piece of crap :lol: hardly competition for this thing.
With all due respect I'm more willing to believe the several mainstream technology websites that gave it positive reviews including Ars Technica and Cnet rather than your opinion which I'm guessing isnt even based on hands on use.
dracorX

Let me give my 2 cents

Post by dracorX »

Let me give my 2 cents:

- I hope eee pc will change the landscape a bit
- I hope gOS will change the landscape a bit

If only 2000 pieces are sold, that are 2000 people more having not to use windows and getting used to linux, perhaps for the next pc considering a more fullfeatured, less web-based linux

just my 2 cents
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The Wallmart GreenPC for $197.00 is an affordable pc for people with simple needs. Why should people pay for things they do not need? This is a great idea and the timing is right.

I have read the reviews of people that have purchased the pc's and the reviews are very positive.

Although not a powerhouse the pc uses less power, looks nice,and e17 gives the user a good experience and is not resource hungry.

I have read that there are problems with the modem not working. The manufacturer has stated that the problem is being addressed.

The mainboard has a serial ata controller and can handle 2 GB of RAM.

I like the system for the money!
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Blu3ness and Exploder, exactly the points I was trying to make. :)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I dont disagree that for a certain audience this PC is a good by, but I dont believe its gunna be result in "some WupAss Pie" for MS, it just doesn't have enough mainstream appeal for that.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

I think they will, because people are going to realise they don't need Windows on a PC for it to be useful.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Downloaded GreenOS(gOS) and it's nice and easy to use, but it was buggy on the livecd.
I had a few things crash but they didn't bring down the system.
I haven't use E17 much so their is a learning curve for that.
It was very well done and like how it looks. :)
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Been using it on and off for about a week, loaded it onto a base unit I am selling on Ebay tomorrow, better than selling it without an OS. :D
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

The Walmart hardware is definitely overpriced and underpowered. Any second-hand computer from Ebay or Craiglist would run circles around this Walmart POS.

That said, the gOS is a step in the right direction. The mainstream computer market is NOT aimed at us (geeks, enthusiasts, etc). Plenty of people simply need to check email, do some web browsing, etc. And RIGHT NOW they get to learn how to use Vista in order to accomplish those things. A bit of overkill, don't you think?

gOS fills the "this is all I need" niche. Load it onto a second-hand system, give it to grandma, and she's good to go...

--Akshun J
molom

Re: gOS

Post by molom »

I have tried gOS, elive and geubuntu. I found the most stable and usable to be geubuntu 7.10, which came out yesterday. Linux Mint e17 edition beta is coming out this friday, and I know its going to be the most polished one of the lot. I found gOS very badly put together. The file manager is horrid (Why not just use thunar), The network manager was a pain (To set wep keys etc has to be done manually through the network file) and I found it in my opinion very ugly. I hated to google search bar and many of the apps chosen (But thats my opinion). But then again, its an alpha. But that even confuses me more, why would you dell pc's on wallmart for $200 with an OS which is still considered to be an alpha?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

The new Geubuntu is out? Wow! Thanx I'm keeping an eye on that project, I'm going to download it now!
molom

Post by molom »

kanishka wrote:The new Geubuntu is out? Wow! Thanx I'm keeping an eye on that project, I'm going to download it now!
The sites been updated, the iso can be downloaded by the link below.
http://download.tuxfamily.org/geubuntu/ ... p-i386.iso

Cheers molom

Post by Guest »

when i do wget http://www.thinkgos.com/files/gos_repo_key.asc,gives this error:

$ wget http://www.thinkgos.com/files/gos_repo_key.asc
--23:12:36-- http://www.thinkgos.com/files/gos_repo_key.asc
=> `gos_repo_key.asc'
Resolving http://www.thinkgos.com... 63.165.1.212
Connecting to http://www.thinkgos.com|63.165.1.212|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
23:12:37 ERROR 404: Not Found.

what i do wrong?

Return to “Chat about Linux”