What editor do you use for web development?

Chat about Linux in general

What editor do you use for web development?

Postby oblivion02 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Hey! Just out of curiosity: What editors are you guys using for web development? While trying Zenwalk linux, I discovered Bluefish, and I loved it. I already downloaded and installed on my Linux Mint ;) Anyone used NVU? Any recommendations? I want a powerful web editor. I come from making pages with Notepad, because I do not like the bloated WYSIWYG editors. I like lightweight powerful editors. Let me know what editors do you use/recommend. I'd be willing to give a try to a good WYSIWYG editor, as long as its not too bloated and slow.

*Note: Bluefish is available from the synaptic package manager, just search for it. *

-Oblivion
oblivion02
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby 900i on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:38 pm

I use Kompozer, which is an upto date NVU.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What editor do you use for web development?

Postby Ede on Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Nano.

Or gedit. If I have to.

I actually miss Windows Notepad for this..
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby clem on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:06 pm

I use "Carlos" :)

Ok, seriously.. I used NVU until I realized the kind of mess it was creating and I now use nano, gedit or other text editors.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby oblivion02 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Going to give Kompozer a shot. Sometimes I feel a bit lazy, and do not want to type in certain tags, but I like having full control over my code. I'll be using it this week setting up my personal website. I'll let you guys know how it feels.

@clem: Ever tried Bluefish? Its not a WYSIWYG editor, its a more speedy, note-pad-ish editor for experienced web designers to use. Has a few common tag inserts, but you still do the code. Might want to give it a spin. I personally loved it ;) Im still gonna give Kompozer a spin this week though. ;)

-Oblivion
oblivion02
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blu3ness on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:38 pm

Emacs, hands down the most powerful editor ever used.

Yes it is very complicated and takes a long time to master, but heck, if you mastered emacs, there's nothing u can't do in emacs, that thing is a freaking beast, you can achieve pretty much everything you ever wanted, all the features can be extended, and 95% extensions are readily available on the internet.

I use emacs for SQL, C++, LaTeX, CSS, html, php and everything that I'll ever do in the future as well. The only thing that's even remotely competitive to emacs might be netbeans IDE (which has code hinting, very nice for RoR), TextMate, and Dreamweaver.

I like bluefish, it still has a long way to go from being productive for me, I just can't stand constantly using mouse to click and look around. I like to concentrate on the thinking and let my cerebellum do the work for me :P
blu3ness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oblivion02 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:15 am

clem wrote:I use "Carlos" :)

Ok, seriously.. I used NVU until I realized the kind of mess it was creating and I now use nano, gedit or other text editors.

Clem

I saw the mess Clem was talking about. Found myself going back to Bluefish Editor. Eventually I'll hit eMacs, but for now... Bluefish will have to do ;)
oblivion02
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux