What makes you want to try Linux in the first place?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perduta

Re: What makes you want to try Linux in the first place?

Post by perduta »

I was interested in Linux simply because I want to develop open source software.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

I got kind of tired of the "push the button get the pellet" windows experience...
HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahah!

You're killing me!
stereo555
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stereo555 »

I've used Windows since getting my first computer in 1998. Never had a problem or issue with Windows, things have gone very smoothly over the years. Never had problems with viruses, never experienced the slowdowns people mention, had no issues with Vista or any other Windows OS I used, and generally I was happy with it. I was looking forward to upgrading a desktop and a laptop to Windows 10, but then read more and more about how intrusive it was, and eventually decided to keep the desktop running W7 and upgrade only the laptop, since it basically wasn't being used anyway and it would be just to try out W10 to see what it's like. Did that, wasn't terribly impressed with W10, so all I do is turn on the laptop, do the current updates, and turn it off again for a couple of weeks.

Over the years I had heard about Linux of course, and always imagined that it would be "difficult" so I had never looked into any of the distros and had never seen a computer running Linux. Then towards the end of 2015 I read something that got me curious about what Linux was really like. I spent about a week reading different articles about Linux distros, decided that Mint sounded pretty interesting, and right around the start of 2016 I jumped in head first and, just to see what this "Linux" stuff is all about, I installed 17.3 in an old netbook, dual-booting with W10, which I had installed in it a month earlier just to get rid of the horrid W7 "Starter edition" that it came with. Loved Mint right from the start. W10 was an improvement in the netbook, speeded it up a bit so it was actually usable, but Mint (Cinnamon) was an even better upgrade and really opened my eyes. It didn't take long before I was using the netbook for almost everything I did online, I liked Linux WAY better than Windows. Using the netbook was frustrating though because it was small and relatively underpowered, so after two weeks I ordered a refurb Dell Latitude E6400 and installed Mint on that. It came with W7 Pro, that got wiped immediately since I knew I wouldn't be using it. Mint works beautifully on it, it's an absolute joy to use. After Mint 18 came out I installed that in the netbook, wiping out the Windows side of it since that was no longer wanted. 18 works great in it, and eventually I'll upgrade either the Dell or I'll pick up another machine to stick 18 into.

I've checked out different distros but always come back to Mint. The way I've described it to others is that Mint to me is just a perfect fit - it's the old comfortable pair of shoes, or the comfy clothes that you always want to wear. After first installing Mint it took me less than an hour to be totally sold on it. Besides the fact that it works so beautifully, I like that this is MY computer, it does what I want it to do and only that. It's not intruding into my privacy or "calling home" daily to report this or that to an overbearing corporation that doesn't need to know ANYTHING about me. The many people who have worked so incredibly hard over the years to provide a wonderful operating system for the world have done an amazing job, and I am truly grateful that it's here and available. And the smart, generous, helpful people in this forum are such a fantastic resource. Knowing that truly useful help is just a few keyboard clicks away is so reassuring. It all adds up to Mint being by far the best OS I've ever used. A computer running Linux (preferably Mint) will be alongside me for the rest of my days.
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

For me, it was either Linux or Windows ten. Simple choice, at least for me.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

all my software I use is in linux no need for windows
love creating my own desktop and designing it and being able to fork whatever I want
as everyone else tired of slowwwww systems and all the crap that goes with it.
only have windows long enough to do a back up just in case, double check hardware and bios upgrades then off it goes
despise dll files
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Three of our old computers came with Vista and XP, which are no longer supported. Linux became a necessity. End of story. Another PC, which was newer, came with Win 7 and upgraded to Win 10. No reason to replace the Win10 partition when you can dual boot with Linux with ease. All four computers will probably last another ten years.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

I was on a website commenting about something or other that had nothing to do with computers, where the proprietor had created an audio file using Garage Band. Someone asked about a Windows version of Garage Band and of course the answer was there isn't one. Then someone left a comment, "This is the 21st century. With all the alternatives available, why is anyone using Windows for any reason?" Someone else said they were using Linux Mint Cinnamon and had for years.

So I installed Mint 17.3 on this laptop. Best computing decision I've made in a long time.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

My initial motivation was free beer. XP was coming to an end and I didn't have the money to upgrade to a later Windows OS. After a few weeks, I found that I quite liked the free choice as well.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

After a few weeks, I found that I quite liked the free choice as well.
I knew that most Linux distros were free but that really wasn't my main motivation. I just wanted to try something other than Windows. I didn't like the Windows 8/10 metro desktop. It was fine for tablets but absolutely horrible for desktops. I wanted a real desktop environment. That's what drove me to Linux Mint. It will be a year in January 2017 and I'm glad I made the switch.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

TooMuchTime wrote:I didn't like the Windows 8/10 metro desktop. It was fine for tablets but absolutely horrible for desktops. I wanted a real desktop environment. That's what drove me to Linux Mint. It will be a year in January 2017 and I'm glad I made the switch.
I didn't like Win10's default start menu as well, but I have replaced it with Classic Shell.

My system, as mentioned before, is dual booted with Win10. Or should I say multi-booted, because I got Mint 18 Xfce and KDE, plus Win10. I spend 90% of the time with Xfce. I boot with Win10 just to do the updates.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

What makes you want to try Linux in the first place?
The voices in my head, man.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

For me

1. Curiosity
2. Learn something new
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

First tried gnu/Nix 2002ish, in the form of a couple live media, my brother gave me. Knoppix and Slackware. One of them found and auto-config the dsl connection right away and was off searching the net with Firefox.

Thought hey, this is cool but like most, already had an OS with everything I (thought I) needed. An Uber tweaked xp install, so shelved the gnu/Nix thing. Then came a day probably 2012ish when the pc I was using got hit by a rootkit.

After a 3dy running battle w the bastid managed to eradicate it but a light bulb came on. Remembered this gnu/Linux thing, supposed to be immune to most computer nasties. Fired up browser and started Googling for the best newb friendly distros w best ootb hardware support. Got it down to 4 and was just about to go ahead and install buntu, when came across some obscure forum comment.

Person said based on buntu, only better, Linux Mint. Installed Mint 10 and the rest is history.

Return to “Chat about Linux”