debian squeeze sucks!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
specmod1

debian squeeze sucks!

Post by specmod1 »

I installed Debian squeeze, The thing does not have any drivers to connect to the internet, and it don't have any way of installing software? there no software app? no system settings? they spent 6 years building this thing?? there noting here.. I don't think there is a sudo? No apt-get, No aptitude, No noting. :cry: :shock:

The could have incommoded some way of installing deb files.

Edited due to language.

tdockery97
Forum Moderator
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: debian squeeze sucks!

Post by ThistleWeb »

Posting from Debian Squeeze I may be a little biased, it may be more to do with your not understanding Debian. Debian has a very strong Free ethos, they don't include binary blobs in their distro, which can mean that stuff like video card drivers, or wifi drivers ain't there. Plug an ethernet cable in, and you'll have the internet, to let you install those drivers. Debian is also a more experienced users system, most of whom install, update etc from the terminal, there is no Synaptic or Gdebi preinstalled. One of the first things I did was:

Code: Select all

apt-get update

apt-get install gdebi synaptic
As root. After that it's not much different to any other distro. Sudo is not the Debian way either, it has a regular root account.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Just got off the phone with Debian squeeze. It said you suck more OP.

Messing around, been awake way too long it seems. Thanks to an irresistable compulsion to keep dinking with this OS. Have all night to get all the stuff I needed to get done addressed ... Sighs. darn you debian squeeze ... DARN U ! D:

Edited due to language.

tdockery97
Forum Moderator
Last edited by lmintnewb on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

ThistleWeb wrote:Posting from Debian Squeeze I may be a little biased, it may be more to do with your not understanding Debian. Debian has a very strong Free ethos, they don't include binary blobs in their distro, which can mean that stuff like video card drivers, or wifi drivers ain't there. Plug an ethernet cable in, and you'll have the internet, to let you install those drivers. Debian is also a more experienced users system, most of whom install, update etc from the terminal, there is no Synaptic or Gdebi preinstalled. One of the first things I did was:

apt-get update

apt-get install gdebi synaptic
As root. After that it's not much different to any other distro. Sudo is not the Debian way either, it has a regular root account.

I have the driver in a deb file...

how do i install Synaptic? with no internet .....
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

I have the mint dvd? I was going to try to grab the drivers from it, But there no Synaptic...
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

is aptitude installed? can it install deb files?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Straight Debian Squeeze should have dpkg for installing deb files. If you have the .deb file, the terminal command would be:

dpkg -i whatever.deb
Of course "whatever" is the exact name of the .deb file.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Dunno what you did wrong or whatever your problem is but Debian Squeeze runs just fine.

If you have problems with your hardware then try and download another netinstall cd but this time the one with the firmware and hope you get some things working.

The kernel in Debian Squeeze is 100% Open Source, no closed drivers in it this time.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

use the netinstall cd,

then apt-get install xorg xfce4 synaptic gdebi wicd

You 'll have a very lightweight basic install
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

malligt wrote:use the netinstall cd,

then apt-get install xorg xfce4 synaptic gdebi wicd

You 'll have a very lightweight basic install
Does netinstall have the non free wifi drivers?
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

specmod1 wrote:Does netinstall have the non free wifi drivers?
Think about that for a second, it's a basic ncurses UI, it connects to the internet to download the packages it needs instead of taking them from a static spun CD image. If you have no internet connection you can't do a net install. If you have an internet connection there's no problem in either a regular or net install, as you'll be able to go and get the drivers anyway. If you can, it may be easier to set it up with an Ethernet cable plugged in.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

specmod1 wrote:Does netinstall have the non free wifi drivers?
yes
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

specmod1 wrote:The could have incommoded some way of installing deb files.
It's Debian; you really think there's no way to install .deb files? That's a good one.

You should start off by finding Debian installation instructions and other documentation.

Or, if it would make things easier, install SalineOS, which is basically Debian Squeeze with Xfce. Comes with a manual right there on the desktop.

By the way, I have Squeeze as well as Saline installed and running here. Neither one of them "sucks."
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

MALsPa wrote:Or, if it would make things easier, install SalineOS, which is basically Debian Squeeze with Xfce.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Mint XFCE is pretty much Debian Squeeze with XFCE too now since the latest release.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

ThistleWeb wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Or, if it would make things easier, install SalineOS, which is basically Debian Squeeze with Xfce.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Mint XFCE is pretty much Debian Squeeze with XFCE too now since the latest release.
Yeah, but don't the repos point to Testing (not to Squeeze)? Also, is it like LMDE -- Squeeze before Squeeze went to Stable? (I don't know, since I'm not using Mint XFCE -- just asking).
kvv

Post by kvv »

Yes, but the ISO's version of packages available on Linux Mint website testing = squeeze. So to track stable, just change your sources.list from testing to squeeze and do apt-get update. Putting it your way, it is squeeze before squeeze went stable.

Return to “Chat about Linux”