Ubuntu Becomes First OS To Get Automatic Epson Printer Drive

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
/Zoran\

Ubuntu Becomes First OS To Get Automatic Epson Printer Drive

Post by /Zoran\ »

I search but i didn't see this news anywhere else. Does this mean that Mint will have the same support, at least the Main edition?
And does it mean that we will have Control panel for the printer, where we can see the ink levels, change cartridges, clean heads etc?

http://www.muktware.com/news/12/2011/97 ... er-drivers
Seiko Epson and AVASYS are adding making lives easier for GNU/Linux users. The company is working on a service that will enable the automatic downloading of printer drivers by simply connecting an Epson inkjet printer to a personal computer running ang GNU/Linux operating system such as Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has become the first GNU/Linux based OS to get this function. The upcoming version of Ubuntu, 11.04, due to be released at the end of April 2011, will feature this function. Ubuntu users will be able to automatically download the driver just by connecting the printer, enabling much simpler set up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zero Prime

Re: Ubuntu Becomes First OS To Get Automatic Epson Printer D

Post by Zero Prime »

I love any news that shows manufacturers giving more support to GNU Linux.
colyn

Post by colyn »

I wonder how well the writer did his research..

PCLinuxOS had that feature in their current versions which was released well before Ubuntu 11.04.

I'm running PCLinuxOS E17 on one of my computers. This version was released last December and has the feature..
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

colyn wrote:I wonder how well the writer did his research..

PCLinuxOS had that feature in their current versions which was released well before Ubuntu 11.04.

I'm running PCLinuxOS E17 on one of my computers. This version was released last December and has the feature..
Yes but it doesn't work for newer models of printers, at least not on my epson dx4450, if you are referring to mtink application, and printing is supported on almost every distro only it can be kinda wasteful to much paint is consumed and it's kinda slow. For my scanner it was also necessary to install separate drivers from the internet which didn't work in pclinux os. Maybe now all that will work out of the box, better printing, control panel and scanner....at least i hope that's what the article above is talking about.
colyn

Post by colyn »

[quote="/Zoran\"]
Yes but it doesn't work for newer models of printers, at least not on my epson dx4450,[/quote]

You may not have had task-printing-scanning installed..

Works fine with my stylus photo R2880 in fact the printer was setup during install and I can check the ink levels and do head cleaning etc.

I believe HP was the first to do this with their hp-gui

[quote="/Zoran\"]it can be kinda wasteful to much paint is consumed and it's kinda slow.[/quote]

I don't follow what you are saying here but my printer is not working slow nor is it consuming too much ink.

[quote="/Zoran\"] For my scanner it was also necessary to install separate drivers from the internet which didn't work in pclinux os.[/quote]

My perfection V700 works out of the box which was not the case with Kubuntu or Mint.

[quote="/Zoran\"] Maybe now all that will work out of the box, better printing, control panel and scanner....at least i hope that's what the article above is talking about.[/quote]

One of the things I like about PCLinuxOS is they get up to date software quicker than any of the Ubuntu clones but then it is a rolling release..
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

Your printer looks newer than mine, maybe that's why it's working better, i just know that mine didn't work under pclinuxos, i mean it was recognized and i could print, but scanner didn't and i didn't have a control panel. Do you have control panel for changing cartridges and checking color levels?

Maybe something changed i tried pclinuxos about the time that mint 10 came out. :D
colyn

Post by colyn »

[quote="/Zoran\"]Do you have control panel for changing cartridges and checking color levels?[/quote]

Yes I can check ink levels etc. It has a gui somewhat like the hp-gui which lets you check levels, clean heads, print test sheets, etc..

Return to “Chat about Linux”