Ubuntu's Unity will save Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Ubuntu's Unity will save Linux

Post by exploder »

Thanks exploder. Intriguingly, it seems as best distros are done by the smaller teams :shock:
Your welcome and I think you are right. The smaller distros do not care about the press and hype, they just want things to work as good as possible.
Arenalgarden

Post by Arenalgarden »

exploder wrote:
Thanks exploder. Intriguingly, it seems as best distros are done by the smaller teams :shock:
Your welcome and I think you are right. The smaller distros do not care about the press and hype, they just want things to work as good as possible.
You guys nailed that one !
Actually, Debian proper is huge too but the developers aren't concerned with the latest numbers and release dates. They want a solid foundation to stand on. The aforementioned little guys just use their experience to give it a little tweak which the average user might find daunting.
It's a beautiful thang.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

My feelings on buntu are pretty clear by now.

Haven't tried Unity ... Only ever tried a couple buntu releases. Based on the experience and impression I got. Think ubuntu is overall hurting linux. Am a newb atm ... while not the avg comp user. Having spent many years submerged and exploring PC tech.

If Unity is as bad as the rest of buntu I've encountered. Then think ubuntu should be credited with hurting linux, not saving it. Mint is much more user friendly out of the box. Other distro's clearly put ubuntu to shame when it comes to ease of use, performance, features etc. That's setting aside other probs they must have. With exploder and more experienced folks noting the lack of bug fixes and persistence in sticking to a release schedule. Apparently whether their software is ready or not.

I've gotten to the point now ( for various reasons) of disliking ubuntu so much. I'll never have anything buntu, ... or even anything that's a derivative of it, installed again. The ubuntu I've tried was a massive let down after all the hype.
Gozzin

Post by Gozzin »

dawgdoc wrote: In it he said he wanted Ubuntu to have 200 million users in four years. He
I am at a loss as to how he plans to do this,I really am. Unity was the last straw for me.
mindmint

Post by mindmint »

exploder wrote:
So what are the good linux distros ? All Ubuntu derivatives inherits upstream bugs, and Debian causes more problems (see LMDE section in the forum) than Ubuntu.
PCLinuxOS ? OpenSuse ? Fedora ? Pardus ? They don't provide as much softs in their repos as Ubuntu, but are they less bugged ?
I think PCLinuxOS has fewer bugs and regressions than Ubuntu. No software is perfect but I think these guys go above and beyond to fix and deal with bugs and regressions. Mepis is also heading in the right direction too. Mepis is not a rolling release but their community repo does provide updated packages for popular applications. Both these distributions are small compared to Canonical but they release when ready and I think they try harder than most distros to have good hardware compatibility.
What I don't understand is, if there are upstream bugs - and there are fixes available - why don't we have some downstream fixes ?

I'd say... there's a need for a centralized something, that enables distros to collaborate better.
Also, a map of distros, with features and goals, so that we don't spend effort over and over for something that someone else already had sleepless nights over, and is done, and avaible in a different distro. I am worried time, talent and a lot of effort is being wasted inbetween the hundreds of distro's available. I'm not against diversity, I'm saying smarter forking, would do linux a lot of good. Efforts could go into bugs and such instead of being wasted. Better colaboration, that's what would save linux.
mindmint

Post by mindmint »

lmintnewb wrote:My feelings on buntu are pretty clear by now.

Haven't tried Unity ... Only ever tried a couple buntu releases. Based on the experience and impression I got. Think ubuntu is overall hurting linux. Am a newb atm ... while not the avg comp user. Having spent many years submerged and exploring PC tech.

If Unity is as bad as the rest of buntu I've encountered. Then think ubuntu should be credited with hurting linux, not saving it. Mint is much more user friendly out of the box. Other distro's clearly put ubuntu to shame when it comes to ease of use, performance, features etc. That's setting aside other probs they must have. With exploder and more experienced folks noting the lack of bug fixes and persistence in sticking to a release schedule. Apparently whether their software is ready or not.

I've gotten to the point now ( for various reasons) of disliking ubuntu so much. I'll never have anything buntu, ... or even anything that's a derivative of it, installed again. The ubuntu I've tried was a massive let down after all the hype.
I could say the same word for word. But, I'd still like to ask, what other distros ?
h8r

Post by h8r »

I was expecting the OP to be about how Ubuntu would save Linux by drawing in the mainstream (this time with Unity) who would be inevitably panic and bail to a distro that doesn't completely suck, whereupon they would learn the awesome openness and endless options that is Linux.

Return to “Chat about Linux”