What was the first linux distro u tried (Poll)

Chat about Linux in general

What was the first linux distro you have tried

Suse based
14%
Debian based
41%
Gentoo based
No votes
Mandriva/Mandrake based
19%
Slackware based
9%
Red hat based
13%
Fedora based
5%

Total votes : 101

What was the first linux distro u tried (Poll)

Postby molom on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:48 am

What was your first linux distro you tried. Sorry if I missed any out.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What was the first linux distro u tried (Poll)

Postby belovedmonster on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:54 am

Ubuntu (I think).
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Alpha-Geek on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:30 pm

My first was Corel Linux. It used the CFM file manager with an SMB network browser & had a nifty thing called Smartmove that let you transfer your windows settings to Corel LinuxOS. It eventually became Xandros, I think.

I just checked. I still have the boot disk, CD's & manual.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Postby molom on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:09 am

Alpha-Geek wrote:My first was Corel Linux. It used the CFM file manager with an SMB network browser & had a nifty thing called Smartmove that let you transfer your windows settings to Corel LinuxOS. It eventually became Xandros, I think.

I just checked. I still have the boot disk, CD's & manual.

It was bought by Xandros. Here's some good info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Linux . Thanks for sharing.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bigbearomaha on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:34 am

RedHat 5.1

Still have it. along with my Mandrake 7.1 disks also.

Big Bear
Saving the world, one bee at a time
http://bbe-tech.com/
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kenetics on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:02 pm

Knoppix was the first distro I tried, which I believe is based on Debian. Ubuntu was the first I installed, also based on Debian.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby BakUp on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Lycoris Desktop/lx 1.4 (formerly Redmond Linux)

The Lycoris corporation was founded in 2000 by Joseph Cheek with a vision of making Linux simple enough for everyone and pioneered the Linux based home-user desktop.

Lycoris ceased to be an independent distribution after it was acquired by Mandriva in June 2005

This system worked real well for me, I was extremely dissapointed when it came to its end. And I still have the installation disk.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4

Postby molom on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:47 pm

kenetics wrote:Knoppix was the first distro I tried, which I believe is based on Debian. Ubuntu was the first I installed, also based on Debian.

It is based on debian. Knoppix was also my first linux distro, which I tried. A person made me use Kate on the livecd to do C programming. I eventually got interested more in Linux than C programming because of that :). I still have the cd. It's Knoppix 3.1. I stuck with KDE for a while, because of that, but now I would want to chose XFCE, Gnome or E17.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby molom on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:59 pm

BakUp wrote:Lycoris Desktop/lx 1.4 (formerly Redmond Linux)

The Lycoris corporation was founded in 2000 by Joseph Cheek with a vision of making Linux simple enough for everyone and pioneered the Linux based home-user desktop.

Lycoris ceased to be an independent distribution after it was acquired by Mandriva in June 2005

This system worked real well for me, I was extremely dissapointed when it came to its end. And I still have the installation disk.

I have lycoris lx, which I got from an edition of Linux User. It looked very nice.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby 67GTA on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:57 pm

I got hooked after playing with a Knoppix cd. I eventually got brave and installed Mandrake with WIN 98. Dependency hell was still a problem then. Now I only use Debian based distros.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby NoClue! on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:50 pm

DSL earlier this year, which by the way I don't recommend for your first exposure to linux. It was interesting and I actually tried to install to hd................didn't work. Next OpenSuse 10.2, this experience was so horrific I should have ended my research into linux as an alternative to ms. After a mind numbing 2hr install the zen updater deleted the wm. Then I found Mint Bianca and there was hope for linux.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Kynan on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:54 pm

Linux Mandrake 7.2 with kde 2.0.1 it was crapola and i didnt go back to trying linux untill ubuntu edy eft and then since then used feisty fawn and now mint :D
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby molom on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:33 am

NoClue! wrote:DSL earlier this year, which by the way I don't recommend for your first exposure to linux. It was interesting and I actually tried to install to hd................didn't work. Next OpenSuse 10.2, this experience was so horrific I should have ended my research into linux as an alternative to ms. After a mind numbing 2hr install the zen updater deleted the wm. Then I found Mint Bianca and there was hope for linux.

What was wrong with OpenSuse 10.2? Was it too cluttered? Fluxbox definitely isn't a good choice to start off with linux. I would say start off with KDE, then Gnome, then XFCE, the e17 and then the complicated box WM (Black box, Fluxbox etc) and then if your radical enough you can start with Ratpoison and those others. I say if your a Windows user, you have to go with Linux Mint. Linux Mint (Gnome) is probably one of the easiest distros in the open source community. I haven't tried PCLOS (Shame on me for not trying every distro ;) ), but I heard it is very easy to use, but I don't like KDE.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bef on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:25 am

Wiped my HDD and let FC4 take over, experienced a number of problems but since I had wiped doze I was forced to learn how to resolve them rather than running back to doze.. Was a good experience.
member 675
bef
Level 3
Level 3

Postby deadguy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:57 am

my first encounter with Linux was redhat 7.2.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby macrohard1 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:58 pm

The first one I tried to install was Red Hat 6.2 (It ended up being a frisbee) back around 2000.

The first one I actually used was Lindows 3.0

But later on in life I moved to much better things....
macrohard1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:10 pm

The first distro I installed was Caldara.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby coder_ on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:49 pm

First distro I used was SuSE 9.1 Professional Edition. Still have the boxes+CDs+DVDs. I duel booted with Windows back then, until I got rid of it.

Next, my Linux odyssey continued with me upgrading to SuSE 9.3 (When I did 100% Linux). Then, openSuSE 10.0 ended up being released (I updated to 9.3 very late. I even started by installing 9.1 back when 9.3 was out), so I used it, and hated it. For some reason, it was sloooooooooow. So I say heck with it.

Now starts my :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Distro hopping :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: phase. :D Basically, I downloaded tons of LiveCDs and install disks, and used each one for no more than a week :P I remember trying Ubuntu Dapper Live, Fedora (Used this one for maybe two weeks I think), the newer openSuSE 10.1, and some small distros. Then, I decided to stick with Ubuntu Dapper, and happily used that up to the Gutsy period (but still running Edgy on my desktop [And in fact, I still do as of right now]).

Next, I started distro hopping and live CD hopping for my newly obtained laptop (It is about a month old now), and ended up having openSuSE 10.3 installed, and trying to get wireless working for a lonnnnnnng time, until I came here with Mint on my laptop, which found my wireless right out of the box.

And that's my 2 year long or so story from age 15 or so boxed into a few tiny paragraphs... *out of breath* :D
coder_
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:23 pm

Mine was Rehat 5. something but I didn't use it long.
Then Suse 8.1 was the one I actually used and screw it up a lot.(trying to get new software and media codes to work.)
I tried many of the others and tons from distrowatch.com and some not even on there, before using a Debian based distro(Ubuntu).
Wish I started with a Debian Based distros, I always seem to break any Redhat Based distros.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby mumbo719 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 pm

1st try - PCLinuxOS - Didn't like my hardware
2nd - MEPIS

MINT was still a young distro then so I think I tried seven or eight before it

Once I tried it though it became my main distro.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Chat about Linux