distro testing

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

distro testing

Post by donec »

I hope this is the proper place for this topic.

I am running Linux Mint 10 and want to keep using it while at the same time testing other distros. Every time I install a new distro to my testing partitions it overwrites the MBR and starts using the grub boot configuration of the new distro. Then when I decide I am not interested in that distro I have trouble getting the grub boot configuration back to Linux Mint 10.

Is there a way to install a distro that allows you to keep the configuration of the grub boot file with Linux Mint 10?

I hope that makes sense.

PS I want to test beyond using a live CD/DVD/USB by actually installing the distro as sometimes that makes it work differently.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: distro testing

Post by nunol »

Don't install the boot loader of the distro you want to test or once installed reinstall grub2 in Mint 10:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... ng%20GRUB2

As an example, once you have the test distro installed boot into Mint 10 and if the boot disk is sda run from the Mint 10:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Now Mint 10 grub is again installed and you can use StartUp Manager to chose the Menu default choice and time.

If you find yourself in the most basic grub2 prompt use this:
1. set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub

Use the values determined earlier. Example: If the Ubuntu system is on sda5, enter: set prefix=(hd0,5)/boot/grub

2.* set root=(hdX,Y)

Example: set root=(hd0,5)

3. insmod normal

Attempt to load the normal module.

4. normal

Activate the normal module. If successful, the GRUB 2 menu may appear.

5. set

(Optional) Review the current settings.

6. ls /boot

(Optional) Check for a vmlinuz and a initrd.img entry.

7. insmod linux

An error message usually means the path is incorrect.

8.* linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdXY ro

Selects the latest kernel. Example: linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 ro

9. initrd /initrd.img

Selects the latest initrd image.

10. boot
Check the link above for more information.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Thanks Nunol for your reply.

If I don't install the boot loader of the distro I want to test how will I boot into it?
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

You don't need "the" boot loader for the distro you are installing. ONE grub or grub2 can handle all your installs. You simply are setting up grub to link to all of them and allow you to choose between distros (or distros AND windows) at startup. Grub is a boot loader that can handle having many distros installed at the same time and booting them all, plus it's not necessary to install it each time you install a distro. Just go back, as posted above, and setup grub to recognize the new install.

I just did this all today. I changed my HD config and reinstalled my distros I like to play with on separate partitions, one boot loader.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Yes, like TBABill said.

I use Mint Grub2, you have already installed the StartUp Manager (check the Administration menu) when you open the StartUp Manager it automatically looks for others distros (and Windows) and setups Grub2 to boot them. So when you install a new distro you have to go first into Mint, open StartUp Manager and only then can you see the new distro on the Grub2 menu.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Cool I didn't know I could just run startup manager and it would find all the distros making it so I don't need to install the boot loader for the distro.

Do all distros offer the option to not install the boot loader?
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

donec wrote:Do all distros offer the option to not install the boot loader?
Not all. Usually I test them in a VM first to make sure they behave properly but most installers have a option where you have a choice to install none, LILO, grub or other boot loader.
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

I test distros with with VirtualBox too and recommend it. Another good way is to use USB stick and Unetbootin to test distros.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

If you install a new distro and use that distro boot loader and want to control with Mint StartUp Manager do this:
1) boot into Mint
2) run (where X is your disk, a or b, etc):

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
This will reinstall Mint Grub2 menu and you don't need to look for the boot loader on the other distro installer.

See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... ng%20GRUB2
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

nunol wrote:If you install a new distro and use that distro boot loader and want to control with Mint StartUp Manager do this:
1) boot into Mint
2) run (where X is your disk, a or b, etc):

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
This will reinstall Mint Grub2 menu and you don't need to look for the boot loader on the other distro installer.

See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... ng%20GRUB2
I tried

and the results were that grub quit working at all just gave me the grub prompt. The way I got back into Linux Mint 10 was to reinstall Linux Peppermint 2 and using grub from it. I also tried to use the Boot-Repair Graphical Tool found through the link you posted and while it ran it did not seem to change anything.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Do you have enough free disk space in the /boot partition?
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

nunol wrote:Do you have enough free disk space in the /boot partition?
How can I find out?
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Run:

df -h
And check if the boot partition is full.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

nunol wrote:Run:

df -h
And check if the boot partition is full.
Results
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 14G 4.9G 8.3G 38% /
none 1.8G 336K 1.8G 1% /dev
none 1.9G 372K 1.9G 1% /dev/shm
none 1.9G 316K 1.9G 1% /var/run
none 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /var/lock
/dev/sda7 41G 15G 24G 39% /home
/dev/sdb1 16G 2.8G 13G 18% /media/16GSDHC
So which portion tells if the boot partition is full or not?
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

If that "df -h" was made from Mint and your "/boot" is on "/" it's not full, you only use 38% of the available space.

If sda5 is your Mint partition (and /boot) the command

Should install Mint grub2 Menu on that disk, don't know why didn't work.

From a Grub2 prompt is possible to boot most linux OS but for some reason Grub2 is not playing nice with that Mint install.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

I'm feeling confused. I have tried using the code

sudo update-grub
and what I have is when I boot I get some text and no menu unless I hit esc and then I get a menu of just Linux Mint 10 as the only available OS.

However! I have Mint 11 and Win 7 on the computer.

If I reinstall Mint 11 I will get the complete (including Win 7) Grub that is packaged for Mint 11 (my testing distro) but the MBR will look at the files in Mint11 instead of Mint 10 (my working distro).

I want to be able to reliably to install a test distro and then do a couple easy things and have it so if I delete the testing distro partition, I can just reboot and go into Linux Mint or Win 7.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Hit Esc to get the Menu was Grub Classic way, not Grub2 that uses the "Shift" key. That's odd. Are you using mint4win?

If you reinstall Mint 11 or other Grub2 distro you should get a nice boot menu to chose the OS you want to start.

That code should work if your boot drive is sda.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

nunol wrote:Hit Esc to get the Menu was Grub Classic way, not Grub2 that uses the "Shift" key. That's odd. Are you using mint4win?
I don't even know what mint4win is, I think it may be something like Wine but I know I have not loaded it and it does not show up in Software manager.
If you reinstall Mint 11 or other Grub2 distro you should get a nice boot menu to chose the OS you want to start.
Yes that is what happens but when I try to get grub to use the configuration I have setup in Mint 10 grub quites working. I can setup the grub configuration in Mint 11 but then if I delete Mint 11 I have to boot from a live USB stick to try and get booted up again. So I want to keep my grub configuration running from Mint10.
That code should work if your boot drive is sda.
My boot drive is sda.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Mint4win is used to install Mint inside Windows.

For some reason Grub2 from Mint 10 doesn't work properly. That means your best bet is to use StartUp Manager from Min 10 to create a Rescue Floppy from the advance Menu. I never used that feature in Mint or Ubuntu but used to use that a lot a decade ago. After making that rescue disk or floppy you should test it to make sure it works.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

nunol wrote:Mint4win is used to install Mint inside Windows.

For some reason Grub2 from Mint 10 doesn't work properly. That means your best bet is to use StartUp Manager from Min 10 to create a Rescue Floppy from the advance Menu. I never used that feature in Mint or Ubuntu but used to use that a lot a decade ago. After making that rescue disk or floppy you should test it to make sure it works.
I don't own a floppy drive anymore or any floppy disk.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Chat about Linux”