What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What is your favourite Desktop Environment or Window Manager

KDE
38%
Gnome
35%
XFCE
5%
Box Window Manager (Fluxbox, Openbox, Blackbox)
10%
Enlightenment 16
No votes
Enlightenment 17
6%
ROX
No votes
CDE
No votes
Nextstep GUI
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 223

Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Post by Helmut »

I like GNOME because it initially offers you fewer items to choose from to do a certain thing. Thats enough for maybe 99.9% of what I do. If that sort of control is not enough, I can always get more items to choose from in the context menu.
This is opposed to KDE, which initially gives an overwhelming load of stuff to choose from, right from the start. Much more than I want to see.
On the other hand, as far as applications are concerned, I prefer most of the KDE stuff.

Another option: A while ago I had Mandriva running, with both Gnome and KDE installed and apps from both. I chose from a boot to boot basis whatever desktop manager seemed best-suited to whatever I was going to do.

That's a bonus for us Linux users: We have the opportunity to choose!

Helmut (Windows-free since 2001)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Here is the conclusion of an article:
What, as desktop Linux users, do you think about this matter? Would you rather have an easy-to-use universal interface, like GNOME, which makes customizing the system harder? Or, the more power-user stylings of KDE?
For the moment, for me it's go ahead "the more power-user stylings of KDE"! KDE power! :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
dracorX

Post by dracorX »

KDE has more votes than gnome? WOW, I didn't expect to see that!!!

It might mean two things:

-Mint community loves KDE more
-KDE community is more active than gnome community

The message is clear: Keep delivering a good KDE edition (hello boo? until now you did good work, keep it up)

Whichever it is that made that result. I love to see that I'm not alone with my preference
molom

Post by molom »

dracorX wrote:KDE has more votes than gnome? WOW, I didn't expect to see that!!!

It might mean two things:

-Mint community loves KDE more
-KDE community is more active than gnome community

The message is clear: Keep delivering a good KDE edition (hello boo? until now you did good work, keep it up)

Whichever it is that made that result. I love to see that I'm not alone with my preference
I think its the second option. BTW I LOVE THE KDE EDITION. As many people know I really dislike KDE, but the Linux Mint KDE edition is UNIQUE AND BETTER than any KDE edition out there, ever better than PCLinuxOS. Boo has done an outstanding job.

Cheers,
Molom
NBSVieiraPT

Post by NBSVieiraPT »

I have tested most desktop environments and I must say I love GNOME the best. Its simplicity overwhelms me. And as some other user said before, KDE brings too much stuff I won't ever user while GNOME brings me what is enough :)
So my vote goes to Linux Mint GNOME :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”