What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Chat about Linux in general

What is your favourite Desktop Environment or Window Manager

KDE
38%
Gnome
35%
XFCE
5%
Box Window Manager (Fluxbox, Openbox, Blackbox)
10%
Enlightenment 16
No votes
Enlightenment 17
6%
ROX
No votes
CDE
No votes
Nextstep GUI
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes : 223

Re: What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Postby Kynan on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:54 am

Looking back i guess i was a bit harsh ;). But at the same time i stand by my opinions. It is ugly (tho its changeable...). cluttered (well that just goes with kde in general i suppose) and not simple (well i guess its probably the best kde has, i do like its pre-installed drivers).

I just think i'm not a kde fan I dont really have anything against PClinuxOS but rather kde, as molom said it is about as good as a kde distro gets... for the time being.. cant wait to try out kde4 :)
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby molom on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:13 am

FastGame wrote:It's sad to see the Mint user-forum revert to PCLinuxOS bashing, I only hope the PCLOS user-forum continues supporting Mint as it has......

I'm sure Clem will be disappointed in some.

BTW, as a long time Mint user I applied the so called "PCLOS hack" and voted for KDE.

I didn't want to offend anybody. I just don't like KDE. I don't hate PCLOS for its success in the Linux Community. I know it is one of the best KDE distros and thats why its at the top on distrowatch. I was just making a little joke and I don't see why it would offend anyone. To tell the truth I haven't even tried many KDE distros that are amazing, all I've tried was Knoppix, Suse and Kubuntu, which I all didn't like. I don't hate or dislike anyone for liking or using KDE or any KDE distro. I apologize for any pain that the comments on this topic has caused to you and any PCLOS users.

Is there any background on this issue of PCLOS hackers? I've never heard of a PCLOS hacker in any forums. Is it a harmful comment that was taken elsewhere?
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby deadguy on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:10 pm

molom wrote:
deadguy wrote:I've always preferred kde.

As long it's related to Linux, I will always love it. No matter what DE/WM it is. I just really got sick Mac after using it for 3 years and don't find Windows fun to use.

yes I agree!!!

I love gnome almost as much as kde :D (I use both)

I need to try xfce and enlightenment sooner or later!

one things for sure though, I like all the Linux DE/WM's better than vista!!!(or any version of windows)
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby deadguy on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:24 pm

FastGame wrote:It's sad to see the Mint user-forum revert to PCLinuxOS bashing, I only hope the PCLOS user-forum continues supporting Mint as it has......

BTW, as a long time Mint user I applied the so called "PCLOS hack" and voted for KDE.

I don't think anyone meant to "bash" PCLOS!!

I've used PCLOS and it's great!!!

however, I prefer mint kde ce over it.

thats the thing, it's all about what works for you the best!!!

PCLOS,Mint,Fedora,Redhat,Ubuntu,Suse,Slackware,ect... it's all Linux :D

I think it's cool to have soooo many choices!!!
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby NoClue! on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:58 pm

FastGame...............just opinions, take it easy. I have pclos on two boxes in my house.

I do however believe there is some monkey business going on with the pclos phr at distrowatch.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Pikey on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Thats a bit over the top surely !! This is just one thread after all ...
Pikey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby molom on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:30 am

deadguy wrote:

Having such a variety can be bad in some aspects. Having such a variety keeps Windows/Mac users away from using Linux because they don't know what to choose from all the linux distros.
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby deadguy on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:07 pm

molom wrote:
deadguy wrote:

Having such a variety can be bad in some aspects. Having such a variety keeps Windows/Mac users away from using Linux because they don't know what to choose from all the linux distros.

this is true as well. to them I would say "try mint!!!" (waving the mint flag high as always) :D
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby molom on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:52 pm

KDE seems to be beating Gnome by some few votes. I once loved KDE, but now I love gnome for its beautiful simplicity.

What do people see in KDE as their favourite? I just want to know, I love hearing opinions. I don't hate KDE, I just dislike its huge amount of options and its menu, but for some it suits them.

And one more thing. What do people want to see in the Mint e17 distro?

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby exploder on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:08 pm

I like Gnome the best. Gnome has never let me down and gtk apps just seem to work. The Gnome interface is clean and streamlined with no unnecessary clutter. Gnome is easily tweaked for performance and uses very little memory.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby molom on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:21 am

exploder wrote:I like Gnome the best. Gnome has never let me down and gtk apps just seem to work. The Gnome interface is clean and streamlined with no unnecessary clutter. Gnome is easily tweaked for performance and uses very little memory.

I like e17 the most and XFCE the second one I like the most, but gnome should still be the default for Linux Mint. Gnome is the easiest to use to change windows users to linux users. KDE is too breakable if you don't know what your doing, I've had my previous experiences with KDE.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby linuxviolin on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:59 am

molom wrote:Gnome is the easiest to use to change windows users to linux users.

On the contrary, a lot of people say they dislikes KDE because it is "too like Windows"...

molom wrote:KDE is too breakable

I guess it depends on the distro because in my distro in dual boot with Mint I use only KDE and I never crash of KDE or applications ... everything is very stable.
I never broke KDE unlike Gnome where that happened to me once in a while a few years ago (in Ubuntu)

I use this distro for a year now and I even made the upgrade to the new version (yes unlike Ubuntu upgrade works perfectly :-)) and... I'm very happy! :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby molom on Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:14 am

linuxviolin wrote:
molom wrote:Gnome is the easiest to use to change windows users to linux users.

On the contrary, a lot of people say they dislikes KDE because it is "too like Windows"...

molom wrote:KDE is too breakable

I guess it depends on the distro because in my distro in dual boot with Mint I use only KDE and I never crash of KDE or applications ... everything is very stable.
I never broke KDE unlike Gnome where that happened to me once in a while a few years ago (in Ubuntu)

I use this distro for a year now and I even made the upgrade to the new version (yes unlike Ubuntu upgrade works perfectly :-)) and... I'm very happy! :lol:

KDE is like Windows. I admit it. Ubuntu doesn't look like windows. But Linux Mint (gnome) is probably one of the most Windows looking distro I've ever seen. I've had some issues with kubuntu's settings like changing the menu options and setting some other options. Gnome isn't very customizable and thats why its unlikely to breakdown compared to KDE. If you know what your doing you shouldn't have a problem. I've tried PCLOS on Christmas 2007 and it was dreadful in my opinion, not the distro, but KDE itself. That's just my opinion though, some might say I'm stupid to think that KDE isn't a good DE and I respect their opinion. Some people that use KDE as their primary DE tell me its breakable if you aren't experienced. e17 is very customizable and it doesn't break down often, it crashes, but not because of the changes you make.

Cheers (Thanks for your opinion),
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby molom on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:20 pm

KDE has 50% of votes!!! That is unexpected...
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Helmut on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:58 pm

I like GNOME because it initially offers you fewer items to choose from to do a certain thing. Thats enough for maybe 99.9% of what I do. If that sort of control is not enough, I can always get more items to choose from in the context menu.
This is opposed to KDE, which initially gives an overwhelming load of stuff to choose from, right from the start. Much more than I want to see.
On the other hand, as far as applications are concerned, I prefer most of the KDE stuff.

Another option: A while ago I had Mandriva running, with both Gnome and KDE installed and apps from both. I chose from a boot to boot basis whatever desktop manager seemed best-suited to whatever I was going to do.

That's a bonus for us Linux users: We have the opportunity to choose!

Helmut (Windows-free since 2001)
Helmut
Level 3
Level 3

Postby linuxviolin on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Here is the conclusion of an article:
What, as desktop Linux users, do you think about this matter? Would you rather have an easy-to-use universal interface, like GNOME, which makes customizing the system harder? Or, the more power-user stylings of KDE?

For the moment, for me it's go ahead "the more power-user stylings of KDE"! KDE power! :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby dracorX on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:29 am

KDE has more votes than gnome? WOW, I didn't expect to see that!!!

It might mean two things:

-Mint community loves KDE more
-KDE community is more active than gnome community

The message is clear: Keep delivering a good KDE edition (hello boo? until now you did good work, keep it up)

Whichever it is that made that result. I love to see that I'm not alone with my preference
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Postby molom on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:59 am

dracorX wrote:KDE has more votes than gnome? WOW, I didn't expect to see that!!!

It might mean two things:

-Mint community loves KDE more
-KDE community is more active than gnome community

The message is clear: Keep delivering a good KDE edition (hello boo? until now you did good work, keep it up)

Whichever it is that made that result. I love to see that I'm not alone with my preference

I think its the second option. BTW I LOVE THE KDE EDITION. As many people know I really dislike KDE, but the Linux Mint KDE edition is UNIQUE AND BETTER than any KDE edition out there, ever better than PCLinuxOS. Boo has done an outstanding job.

Cheers,
Molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Postby lynx2cross on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:16 pm

I loved kde because it was easy to use if your coming from a windows environment because they feel about the same. But when I first started using linux 4yrs ago I hated the way kde looked. It just did not look very polished. Mint has done a wonderful job with kde. It's the best kde version I've come across. Now with that said I admit that I had more crashes with programs in kde . I never cared for gnome because the only experience I had with it was Ubuntu and I just did not like it. But once again Mint got a hold of gnome and have done wonders with it and that's what I'm using now. And for me it's a lot easier to customize than kde. I'm using some kde apps in gnome and they still crash every so often but thats the kde apps fault not gnome. Now I'm looking forward to using E17 once a stable mint version is out and my opinions might change.
lynx2cross
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NBSVieiraPT on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:13 pm

I have tested most desktop environments and I must say I love GNOME the best. Its simplicity overwhelms me. And as some other user said before, KDE brings too much stuff I won't ever user while GNOME brings me what is enough :)
So my vote goes to Linux Mint GNOME :D
NBSVieiraPT

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux