PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 is now available for download

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Re: PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 is now available for download

Post by craig10x »

Although i wasn't going to post anymore to this thread, i just wanted to mention to z06gal that yes, as wayne said, their distro is RPM based...it isn't debian it is based on Red Hat...like Mandriva and OpenSuse...

Actually, i believe there is an RPM file for Google Chrome at their website, which you can download of course, but they do have the open source Chromium in their package manager...I recall with them they like you to stick with the package manager software and if you install anything outside of it (from websites) then they will not assist you with any problems you encounter on their forums...
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Thank you Wayne and Craig. It really is a beautiful distro and I am going to play around with it in Virtualbox. I have one issue that I can't seem to resolve and that is audio. I can hear it but barely. I don't know what I am doing well enough to get normal volume so if either of you know the deal, please let me know. I am just so Mint oriented and, as I said, Clem has definitely spoiled me with the ease of use but it is fun to check out other distros without having to dual boot. Thanks guys :wink:

Robin
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

you are very welcome, Robin...as always :)
And the other thing you might notice is (mostly when web surfing) that the font rendering may not look quite as good as it does on Mint which would be because they don't use the ubuntu patches to the libcairo that give ubuntu (and distros based on ubuntu) that "look" you are familar with...Clem also patches it in manually on LMDE but Texstar will not consider it...

Anyway, enjoy testing it and checking it out :wink:
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

z06gal wrote:Thank you Wayne and Craig. It really is a beautiful distro and I am going to play around with it in Virtualbox. I have one issue that I can't seem to resolve and that is audio. I can hear it but barely. I don't know what I am doing well enough to get normal volume so if either of you know the deal, please let me know. I am just so Mint oriented and, as I said, Clem has definitely spoiled me with the ease of use but it is fun to check out other distros without having to dual boot. Thanks guys :wink:

Robin
Usually you can find an icon on taskbar/panel that look like speaker sound.
click that a popup with all the mixer will appear, just raise the volume on mixer like
Master volume, PCM, Front , etc

If for some reason you cannot find the icon, you could just open a terminal, like many other distros, then type alsamixer, this would have the mixer appear in the terminal, similar to using GUI method as above, just raise the volume of Master, PCM, Front, etc and your sound should be louder.

at time when you have more than one sound devices, you should then hit F6 to select the sound device and make adjustment on mixer.

Return to “Chat about Linux”