PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 is now available for download

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 is now available for download

Post by exploder »

PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 has been released! It has been a really nice day and this news just makes things even better!

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

The announcement also say this!
A 64 bit only release will be available in the coming weeks.
This is really great news! I enjoyed the entire development cycle, it was a very pleasant experience. The artwork, default applications and everything is great! Congratulations go out to Texstar and everyone that helped make the 2011.6 release so nice. If you find yourself on the PCLinuxOS forum, please take the time to congratulate Texstar and the rest of the people involved with this fine release. These guys did an unbelievably good job and I sincerely appreciate all of the hard work that went into this release. There was some amazing teamwork involved with the new artwork and there are some terrific new features in this release. I think this will be a very successful release and there are going to be a lot of very happy Linux users out there!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 is now available for download

Post by lmintnewb »

I have an install cd of the last version of this distro. Sounds like the newer one is better. This distro definitely goes on my things to watch and get around to trying list. Will have to investigate the light options out there for it or judging by all the good things you've had to say on this. May actually breakdown and install the full edition ... dunno.

Still resisting the distro hop urge. 4 OS's, 3 of em nix and everything running dandy. So been trying to just leave well enough alone ... sighs. Then again what's the difference between 4 OS's and 5 ? Still more than likely be a happier person if I can figure out what light-weight nix options the distro has available. Think remember mention of them having such a thing going. Regardless ... appreciate the heads up exploder.

:D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The rest of the editions will follow soon. There are no release dates, "it's ready when it's ready" is how things are done. It's worth the wait because the quality comes before any schedules. I am waiting to try a new light release on a computer I picked up for $10.00. I will wait patiently because I would much rather go with a rolling release than something that I would have to keep installing over and over. I would like your opinion but I don't want you to mess up your current set up that you are perfectly happy with. PCLinuxOS is rolling so I don't need to re-install on my main computer but I would like to try the x64 release when it becomes available. In any case I don't think I will be disappointed.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Know you wouldn't steer people wrong exploder. Must be some great linuxy goodness if you like it that much. I'm a special needs case though, lol. Box is oldish and in the 512mbs/ram club. Works perfectly and am really just too lazy to bother upgrading the RAM. Even if it would only take a couple bucks and 45mins. In my view isn't practical to go through the effort when it's running smooth. So I've mainly been avoiding heavy weight nix or heavier weight distro's someone would have to spend a lot of time tweaking to cut down. Spending my time in the ultra-light end of the nix pool. Well more like nix ocean with SO MANY distro's out there. Think remember them having an E-17 release or sure they've got no shortage of all someones favorite DE's and WM's too.

Actually use this dinosaur for business purposes too. So another reason I don't go overboard experimenting as much as i would otherwise. lol ... 3 nixes, all running grand is already kind of impractical. All that aside, if it's impressed you as much as it apparently has. Then I don't doubt that distro is one to watch. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Will at some time get around to experimenting with it too. On this box or another if I stop being lazy and cheap and get a system with more modern specs. Appreciate ya sharing your experiences and finds with people.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thank you for the heads up Exploder, I really am enjoying this OS. Some nice work into this OS for sure. Gotta give prop's to Texstar and team. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

lmintnewb, I understand your situation completely. I wanted a rolling release because when I am working I work a lot of hours. I do not want to spend my free time re-installing every six months and searching for bug fixes. I just want my computer to work and I want current versions of the applications I use everyday. I am a long time admirer of Texstar's work and his approach to hardware support. Texstar builds his own packages and he is very good at tracking down bugs and fixes. PCLinuxOS sends new packages to testing and the pass sever to be tested before placing them into the main repo, this is a pretty decent way of testing and it provides good results most of the time. You can see the pride that goes into the work and the care that is taken to maintain good hardware support and that is very important to me. I admire the "it's ready when it's ready" release cycle because I know these guys are not trying to grab press attention and they genuinely care about the quality of what they release. I am not in a hurry for the latest greatest if it means I will have a good quality system. In the end PCLinuxOS is the best possible solution for my needs and it frees up my time for other things in life. My whole family can use PCLinuxOS KDE and there is no learning curve and my Wife said she was tired of me reloading my computer all the time. Everyone is happy and I get a lot more enjoyment out of my computer knowing that the next update is not going to break anything. I wish more developers did things the way Texstar does because Linux would be so much more popular with newcomers to Linux.
Thank you for the heads up Exploder, I really am enjoying this OS. Some nice work into this OS for sure. Gotta give prop's to Texstar and team. :D
It's my pleasure Marc! I am very glad you are enjoying the new release. :D
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

The E-17 light/mini has me drooling. Errrrrr da siren call of the distrohop. Errrrrrr, eeeeeeeeee, arghhhhhhhhh.

Sighs. :D

PS, says may have a few minor bugs. But new release due out more than likely by years end. Would have to have more than a few minor bugs to keep up with ubuntu in the buggy dept no matter what. It'd have to be like an anthill to hold a candle to buntu n bugs.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Installed the KDE version today, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It automatically installed the ATI driver without my having to do anything. All I had to do was reset the resolution from 1204 x 600 to 1366 x 768. I watch a lot of movies and videos online, and full screen streaming video is flawless. I've been kind of watching their site for a new release because 2010.12 would require a ton of updates to be installed. Thanks for the heads up exploder. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I ran the gtk based e17 test 2 release for a couple of weeks and only had one problem with it but a community member quickly helped resolve the problem. The sound mixer would not keep it's settings, the sound worked I just had to turn it up every time I rebooted. The solution I was given quickly took care of the problem and was later built into the packages to take care of the issue. The test 2 release ran very well and it was a mini edition so I was able to install just what I wanted. I was able to run the test release on a daily basis and it was very resource friendly and quick. I liked the default artwork and there is a nice collection of themes available in the repos too. It was nice to have some eye candy and still hardly use any resources. It seems like a pretty safe bet that the final release will be very good. I ended up going with KDE so that anyone in my family could use my computer if they needed to without any learning curve. Community members have built quite a few variations of the gtk based e17 test release with custom artwork, a bare bones version, server version, full featured version and there is also the qt based version. E17 enjoys a lot of popularity on the PCLinuxOS forum and it is a lot of fun learning it and using it. There is an even lighter edition coming out that features IceWM and another window manager that escapes me at the moment, that is what I want to try on the $10.00 computer I picked up. I have seen some screen shots and IceWM looks just as nice as the new KDE release and I am looking forward to trying it out.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Installed the KDE version today, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It automatically installed the ATI driver without my having to do anything. All I had to do was reset the resolution from 1204 x 600 to 1366 x 768. I watch a lot of movies and videos online, and full screen streaming video is flawless. I've been kind of watching their site for a new release because 2010.12 would require a ton of updates to be installed. Thanks for the heads up exploder. :wink:
My pleasure tdockery97, glad you are enjoying the new release! I also watch a lot of full screen streaming videos and the new release does a great job! I use nvidea graphics and really appreciate the drivers being installed by default. Even plymouth works perfectly, no more text displaying on the screen. It's great when a new release comes out and you can see improvements almost instantly. Texstar really did some fine work on the new release. :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

You don't get to see plymouth for long though. It boots really fast. There is only one little problem I had. The network manager was very unstable. I had to install wicd, and that fixed the problem.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Last summer, I installed PCLinuxOS KDE 2010.07. Prior to that, I'd used PCLOS off and on -- I had installations of PCLOS 0.92 and PCLOS 2007.

This time, I decided to stay with it and keep it updated, so I'm basically running 2011.6 even though I didn't do a fresh installation. Quite simply, it's been a great run. If it ain't broke, why fix it? 8)

From what I'm seeing here, if any of you decide to install PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6, you're in for a treat.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

I'm downloading it right now. I'm looking forward to seeing of my wireless will be detected out of the box like in Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My computer is using a wired connection so I can't be of much help there.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I will say what I already wrote on PCLinuxOS forum: I'm dreaming of a distribution ruled by Texstar and Clem together.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Can't say summin nice ... don't say nuttin at all I guess ... sighs.

OT: I do have a date with that E-17 light/mini release in the near future. It looks to be very linuxy and also highly nixish. Plus curvy in all da right places ... Looks like a really hawt piece of .... software. Getcha minds outta the gutter people, sheesh.

:D

(edit) Oh wait a sec, that's my mind ... Errrr, nevermind.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

I got all excited and then saw the download links aren't updated yet.

---
Sent by an Htc Desire HD with Leedroid love.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

GoustiFruit wrote:I will say what I already wrote on PCLinuxOS forum: I'm dreaming of a distribution ruled by Texstar and Clem together.
That would be a mistake. One man - one vision. There's a level of adult supervision in Mint that I attribute to Clem ( of course it could also be the professional team he has assembled :wink: ) - let's keep it that way.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

GoustiFruit wrote:I will say what I already wrote on PCLinuxOS forum: I'm dreaming of a distribution ruled by Texstar and Clem together.
Texstar and Clem have very different ideas and development styles and that is what makes each of them successful in what they do.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Although i use to like the pclinuxos forum a lot...i am sorry to have to say that i don't much care for the attitude over there...
I ran the live dvd of this and thought he did a great job on it...however one thing i did note is that apparently he does not use the ubuntu patching to libcairo that gives the ubuntu based distros (as well as Clem's LMDE since he patched them in last December on the mint community's suggestion) and a few other distros that use it, is apparently NOT used by Texstar for pclinuxos...I didn't care for the way it looks on web surfing in my fav browser Chrome/Chromium....

Now today i posted on the thread which had the announcement for this at the forum and gave him plenty of compliments about how nice he did with this...then i just MENTIONED (in a very diplomatic and rather NICE way) that PcLinuxOs might benefit if he would consider putting these patches in it...
that it would even further ENHANCE his distro...

Though he did answer me and give me some technical explanation of what i could do to change the look in that direction for the font rendering, apparently this was considered OFFENSIVE because i dared to make a suggestion that perhaps the distro could improve on something (apparently they feel their distro is PERFECT and therefore should not be subject to any suggestions otherwise, even if put in a very nice way)...

I just checked a little while ago and my post and his reply has been completely ERASED from the thread... Unbelievable :roll:

Now i wouldn't install his distro if you paid me to...I'll stay with Mint...thank you...it looks much better anyway (and not just because of the ubuntu font rendering)...

Do you know that every time is mentioned the word "ubuntu" it is like a sin..they have it programmed that it posts as "Narly Nachos" !!!!
This makes me conclude that are rather infantile over there...and run it like a dictatorship..... :evil:

Sorry to have to say this...i am normally very mellow about things but this really ruffled my feathers..so to speak :lol:

The mint community is VERY DIFFERENT, Clem and the gang here (including the moderators) are very courteous, gracious and very open to feedback to continue to make Linux Mint better then ever... :D
Last edited by craig10x on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”