Defragment

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Defragment

Post by cato40 »

Here is a question that I have been asking myself.
Is the reason that we do not have to defrag in Linux, is because , Here is my theory.
When any Windows OS accesses a portion of a program to enable it to be used , and then when you are
finished with that said program ,the portion that was borrowed ,does not necessarily return to exactly the place where it was
originally. Consequently ,over a period of time ,the files ,etc. get jumbled up.
In Linux, I believe that when a file is accessed ,it is returned to possibly the exact place it was located or very near to
its original sector.
Is this possible.?
The reason I am bringing this up is because I shall be giving a talk on Linux/Open Source to my Probus Club ,and I am pretty sure
someone will question this, I want to be able to give a clear and concise reply.
Thanking you,
cato40 :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Defragment

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Hi,

You might want to peruse this thread. HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Chat about Linux”