*** ~ Top 3 Difference between Linux Mint * Ubuntu ~ ***

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilikelegance

*** ~ Top 3 Difference between Linux Mint * Ubuntu ~ ***

Post by ilikelegance »

What are the *** ~ Top 3 significant difference from a, practical, user point of view, between Ubuntu & Linux Mint ~ *** ?

Specific links are helpful. Objective, neutral, serious, helpful info only. Please don't post otherwise.

both are ranked highly (http://distrowatch.com/ ) ~ cross discussion with http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11225509
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: *** ~ Top 3 Difference between Linux Mint * Ubuntu ~ ***

Post by gn2 »

There are no significant differences, only minor ones.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Chat about Linux & Other Distributions subforum from Newbie Questions
Robin

Post by Robin »

Mint Tools: Awesomeness on steroids. Super-easy for newcomers and for simple kids like me.

"Done Better": And I don't just mean cosmetically. Mint 9 Xfce, for example, is not polluted with that abomination called PulseAudio that it's parent, Xubuntu 10.04 was built with. Of course future Xfce editions of Mint are being built from Debian rather than Xubuntu. But in many respects Ubuntu is significantly improved upon in Mint.

But best of all for newbies and those who absolutely have to have a rock-stable system,

The Mint Updater! It has settings that allow you to choose only "security updates" and ignore the higher-risk ones. You can choose "level One and level Two" (tested and proven safe by the Mint Team), or you can take all the updates - and risks - that ordinarily come with Ubuntu. Count the number of "b0rked after update" threads on UF! It happens alot less often in Mint because of that wicked-kewl updater.

I find the Debian-based versions of Mint much more troublesome for me than the newbie-friendly Ubuntu-based one. Now that the Xfce edition is switching from Xubuntu to Debian, if it doesn't work well for me I'll likely find myself back on Xubuntu, my old favorite (before Mint 9 Xfce). Or SalixOS, which I'm finding absolutely superb and actually alot faster than either Xubu or Mint (so far), and almost as kid-friendly.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

In no particular order:

1. Multimedia codecs that work out of the box right from the start (at least for the DVD version).
2. The Mint menu vs. Unity/Dash/whatever.
3. More conservative updates using levels.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

This won't earn me any friends here, but:

1. Mint's Google search.
2. No "Mark All Upgrades" button in Synaptic in Mint.
3. Ubuntu's official version still fits on a CD.
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

You are still my friend. ;)
Robin

Post by Robin »

MALsPa wrote:This won't earn me any friends here, but:

1. Mint's Google search.
2. No "Mark All Upgrades" button in Synaptic in Mint.
3. Ubuntu's official version still fits on a CD.
Number 2 above is actually a blessing to users who need certainty and stability, since it prevents them from upgrading stuff that could break a working system. Better to use the Mint Updater than to just "upgrade everything."

Number 3 above is mega-huge for some of us. My computer won't boot from a DVD, but works fine booting from a CD. That rules out a huge number of distros for me!

Return to “Chat about Linux”