Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1 Screenshot Tour

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tek_heretik

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1 Screenshot Tour

Post by tek_heretik »

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-1 ... 7884.shtml

Meh, still kinda ugly and 'smartphone-ish', like the default browser, email and music player though. =/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kilz

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1 Screenshot Tour

Post by Kilz »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Unity burns my eyes!!!!!!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Looks identical to oneirc, so no major interface changes then!
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

tek_heretik wrote:http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-1 ... 7884.shtml

Meh, still kinda ugly and 'smartphone-ish', like the default browser, email and music player though. =/
How well did it run? I been running the nightly KDEs and they have been fairly good but I haven't tried the Unity DE.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

monkeyboy wrote:How well did it run? I been running the nightly KDEs and they have been fairly good but I haven't tried the Unity DE.
I don't know how well it runs, just posted the link to the screenshot gallery here, lol, but as a general opinion, I have found Ubuntu in the past to be buggy, confusing and unco-operative compared to Mint, it must go through some kind of magic de-bug meatgrinder when it gets here and churned out again as Mint, heh. ;-D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Kilz wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Unity burns my eyes!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

remoulder wrote:Looks identical to oneirc, so no major interface changes then!
That's good news - and 12.04 will be LTS so it should be all about stability and fine-tuning, not new features.
bkerensa

Post by bkerensa »

I have been running Precise Pangolin for a few weeks and it is stable ;)
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

bkerensa wrote:I have been running Precise Pangolin for a few weeks and it is stable ;)

But since its a lts you would expect that since they rarely add major new stuff, they are more focused on bug fixing and stability. Now if only they would scrap that awful Unity desktop.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

I briefly ran 11.10 from a stick on my new 11.6 inch machine and it looks a lot better that way, in proportion finally, with the fonts not childish-looking and the garish Launcher looking somehow not so garish. Overall though unless they spring some humble and wise last minute changes in April I'll feel quite dismayed. There is a serious design and taste deficit that seems so unbelievably slow to be rectified. A 2004 Mac still looks and behaves better. 2004!

I don't know how it works in practice, but for good design a bit of back to basics would surely help - pen and paper, in a chair, no computer or hamburgers in sight. Then the programming will be stretched to fit the ideas rather than shoddy compromise occurring. As a non-programmer with only a now-aborted bit of gtk knowledge I am impressed at how the Dash works, the animation of it, a moment's novelty, but there's nothing else to Unity at all to be especially proud of is there. I'm grateful for discovering Linux and up to a point for Canonical's putting money into it but the slow pace of development, the stubbornness and bad choices just seem a woeful mess.

I've just downloaded Mint 12 and am waiting for someone to bring me a blank DVD. Not a butler - just a relative who was going into town anyway. Hopefully I will like this, as Gnome 3 is pretty good and Mint 12 is the first time something's been done with it properly. Maybe other distros will realise as a result of the Mint team's efforts that adding a package to your repo isn't quite enough.

Grr...
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

tpprynn wrote:but the slow pace of development, the stubbornness and bad choices just seem a woeful mess.
Hmm, sounds a lot like Micro$lop, lol. ;-D
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

bkerensa wrote:I have been running Precise Pangolin for a few weeks and it is stable ;)
Oh look, an Ubuntonian sniveling and groveling for users to come back, wow, sad. =/
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

Kilz wrote:

But since its a lts you would expect that since they rarely add major new stuff, they are more focused on bug fixing and stability. Now if only they would scrap that awful Unity desktop.
Unity is a bug that needs fixing, by being exterminated.
tek_heretik wrote:Hmm, sounds a lot like Micro$lop, lol. ;-D
Ok, look. I know you hate Microsoft, but could you at least show a little respect and spell it Microsoft? Microsoft/Windows/OS slang makes you look childish and unprofessional.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

ilovelinux wrote:Ok, look. I know you hate Microsoft, but could you at least show a little respect and spell it Microsoft? Microsoft/Windows/OS slang makes you look childish and unprofessional.
Ok, YOU look, first of all, I don't see admin or mod on your account, secondly, I don't like to say the REAL name of one of the most widely known BRANDS of the world (you like to advertise for them more? are you an M$ troll? Mint is pretty popular now, never know, they like to KILL competition). Last time I looked, it's not a crime to spoof names, MYOB and STFU!

Edit: Do you know they (M$) have an army of scumbag lawyers? So you keep right on bashing them using their REAL name, maybe one day those lawyers will be banging on your door with a slander lawsuit summons. ,,l,,
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

tpprynn wrote:I briefly ran 11.10 from a stick on my new 11.6 inch machine and it looks a lot better that way, in proportion finally, with the fonts not childish-looking and the garish Launcher looking somehow not so garish.
Unity was designed for netbooks (debuted in the now discontinued Ubuntu Netbook Edition in 10.10 before it got promoted to the main edition with 11.04) so it's not a surprise it feels more natural on smaller screens. That's why as much as possible wants to hide :) Always made me chuckle when the window buttons disappeared even though they were not taking up any space you could use,

Unity design team meeting

Shuttleworth: Morning guys - OK, let's get to it, you know what I want
Team: Well, we're already hiding the launcher and the global menu, but there's not really ... we feel we're hiding as much as can sensibly be hidden
Shuttleworth: Hello? Window buttons?
Team: They're in the panel already so hiding them won't result in more real state for maximized windows, it would seem a bit pointl...
Shuttleworth: Hide them
Team: OK...
Last edited by bimsebasse on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Lively discussion is fine,but let's keep the tone civil
Thanks
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

Oscar799 wrote:Lively discussion is fine,but let's keep the tone civil
Thanks
No problem, I just don't like to be told what I can and cannot say by somebody with no authority, he/she started it.
Gerbilio

Post by Gerbilio »

OK, plz clarify for a Mint noob: Ubuntu 12.04 will be an LTS edition. Does that also make corresponding Mint release LTS?

TIA, m
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Gerbilio wrote:OK, plz clarify for a Mint noob: Ubuntu 12.04 will be an LTS edition. Does that also make corresponding Mint release LTS?

TIA, m
Mint 13 will be an LTS Release

Return to “Chat about Linux”