just wondering...boot speeds...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

just wondering...boot speeds...

Post by podagee »

i was just wondering if anyone else noticed the difference in boot times after installing from cd/dvd vs. usb?
some may say they are the same but ive noticed a big boot difference in the usb.it seems a lot faster than the cd/dvd installation.ubuntu 11.10 and mint 12 from cd/dvd takes about 40 seconds to boot up.ive installed ubuntu 11.10 from both and the usb install boots up in 8-10 seconds.gonna reinstall mint 12 to see if it does the same.ill give an update after installation.
these boot times ive recorded are timed after installation not live
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
podagee

Re: just wondering...

Post by podagee »

UPDATE
after re-installing mint 12 from usb,did updates and restarted...got a 50 second boot time.
then restarted again and clocked it at 31.58 seconds.thats a big improvement versus the cd/dvd installation which i was booting up at 44 seconds.
dont know if you guys care about boot up speeds but i do and usb is way better than discs.some may not have a problem but with specs like mine it makes a big difference.
richyrich

Re: just wondering...boot speeds...

Post by richyrich »

Something else to try: (careful please - use the preview button, and don't clean everything at once)

Run bleachbit as a normal user, and then run bleachbit as Administrator

My Mint 9 Xfce : 15.9 seconds to login, 8.3 seconds to my desktop ! Image
podagee

Post by podagee »

i use ubuntu tweak to clean up unnecessary files.yeah being cautious is needed cause if you erase the APT cache,oh boy there goes pretty much everything
podagee

Post by podagee »

oh and earlier i compared boots with ubuntu 11.10 64bit and mint 12 32bit.....my mint 12 took it by about 2 seconds.impressive.my mint 12 is booting in the 20's right now which is nice.
podagee

Post by podagee »

update...
currently went back to ubuntu 11.10 with gnome shell running kernel 3.0.0-14 which was provided in the updates.hands down to ubuntu 11.10.fastest booting ever.switched back over cause the boot speed started slowing back down in mint 12 dont know why.my dell seems to operate better with ubuntu.it does well with mint but i think they are starting to bloat it.
Stennie

Post by Stennie »

I installed LM12 64 3 times from the DVD version and each time it broke soon after and would not boot.
Decided to try the CD version and install the codecs....... LM 12 is now running very well and seams to be stable.

One thing I did notice is that the boot time is much faster... :shock:
Wonder if not having Mate on the system has something to do with this.... :D

Or was it just a new update that fixed things....
podagee

Post by podagee »

thats what im saying the dvd has a bit more than the cd so im thinking all the extra programming is bloat.mint 12 is stable but the boot is unreal slow
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

podagee wrote:thats what im saying the dvd has a bit more than the cd so im thinking all the extra programming is bloat.mint 12 is stable but the boot is unreal slow
Is it? Mine boots faster with Mint 12 than it did with 11. I haven't timed it because I don't care, but it feels more than twice as fast at boot. I'd guesstimate my grub to login screen at 7-8 seconds max.
podagee

Post by podagee »

in my opinion it is.i thought mine was that fast too but when you time it its actually pretty long.it is faster than m11 but after all the updates and everything its still quite long.my m12 booted at 32sec after installs and updates.my ubuntu11.10 bots roughly at 12-14 seconds and it is heavily customized.mint 12 is a really good distro but im going to stay with ubuntu for now.it is a lot quicker to me.
and with the specs i got its a lot more friendlier.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Unless it is absurdly slow, I ignore all boot speeds as I am only interested in the desktop being available once I have logged in..

So I don't try to improve boot speed specifically, however i do stop processes that I don't use, such as Bluetooth or wireless (if I was only using an Ethernet connection..)
--to do that I usually use rcconf and have looked at BUM for system/service control..
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-runl ... t-service/
http://www.marzocca.net/linux/bumdocs.html
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

DrHu wrote:Unless it is absurdly slow, I ignore all boot speeds as I am only interested in the desktop being available once I have logged in..

So I don't try to improve boot speed specifically, however i do stop processes that I don't use, such as Bluetooth or wireless (if I was only using an Ethernet connection..)
--to do that I usually use rcconf and have looked at BUM for system/service control..
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-runl ... t-service/
http://www.marzocca.net/linux/bumdocs.html
Same, perhaps that's why mine boots up fast as well, I've disabled quite a few of the hardware I don't and won't ever use such as Bluetooth, MicroSD etc etc (although I've done it from the BIOS, there are options for most of them)... As I said again, I don't much care about boot speed, I'm more concerned about it working properly :lol:
podagee

Post by podagee »

UPDATE:::::
okay this may sound crazy but with gnome shell and unity installed on my ubuntu 11.10 i was booting up at 25sec. after completely removing the unity interface i am now booting up in 19sec....thats 6sec off the boot.love it .worked for me but i cant guarantee anything.
i now have cairo-dock,gnome,gnome-classic as my de choices.

Return to “Chat about Linux”