Benefit of Ubuntu over Debian based versions, and vice versa

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charliemoss

Benefit of Ubuntu over Debian based versions, and vice versa

Post by charliemoss »

A friend asked me "What is the benefit of Ubuntu over Debian based versions and what Debian over Ubuntu based versions". I've searched but not found a clear list of benefits that would make sense to a new user. Most comparisons get very technical that make little sense to me either.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spandey

Re: Benefit of Ubuntu over Debian based versions, and vice v

Post by spandey »

Let me try..

Ubuntu is actually based on Debian....Linux Mint main edition is based on Ubuntu.

If you can understand this then things will become easier to understand.
charliemoss

Post by charliemoss »

I fully understand this. I'm just looking for a clear comparison between the two, for example

Benefits of Ubuntu over Debian
More hardware compatibility
Repositories easily add with PPA
blah
blah

Benefits of Debian over Ubuntu
Lighter & Faster
blah
blah

Nice and simple so if someone can make an easier decision of which one to try. I'm asked this a lot but most explanations I've found are just too complicated.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

charliemoss wrote:Nice and simple so if someone can make an easier decision of which one to try. I'm asked this a lot but most explanations I've found are just too complicated.
Just try both and stick with the one that works best for you. There's no general answer to this question, it's a matter of taste, requirements, attitude, convenience and some minor technical reasons.

LMDE tracks testing with a slightly higher risk of breakage and a somewhat higher demand of awareness and effort. I personally wouldn't recommend LMDE to a newbie. On the other hand LM 12 seems not as mature as it's predecessors at their time. For anything but the latest Hardware I would recommend LM11 atm.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Are you asking more about "distros based on Ubuntu vs. distros based on Debian," or "Ubuntu vs. Debian"?

One thing to mention here is that Ubuntu is based on Debian, of course.

Anyway. I run both distros here. I usually stick with Debian Stable, and with the Ubuntu LTS versions.

It's quicker and easier to install Ubuntu. Debian takes a bit longer, but you have more control over what gets installed, etc.

With Ubuntu, I generally have more up-to-date applications. But Debian, in general, seems more solid, put together better.

Ubuntu releases every six months, on schedule. Debian releases "when it's ready." But there's nothing saying that users have to follow Ubuntu's six-month release cycle; the non-LTS versions are supported for 18 months, and a user can also go with the LTS versions, which are supported for much longer. And Debian users can go with "testing" or "unstable" instead of "stable" -- newer application versions, less stability, etc.

I haven't had much trouble with hardware with either distro, but it seems to me that Debian is generally better than Ubuntu in that area.

Debian seems better for learning about Linux. Ubuntu tends to push the envelope more, trying new things, going in different directions, for better or for worse. Many people here will say it's for worse, I'm sure, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Both are great distros, and I've been enjoying having both installed here. I've got no reasons to discontinue using either one. You'll get lots of opinions about the benefits of Ubuntu vs Debian, or Ubuntu-based distros vs. Debian-based distros, but ultimately there are tons of happy users in each camp, and lots of Debian-based distros as well as a lot of them based directly on Ubuntu; and, while Mint now has a Debian-based version, it has certainly done well with its Ubuntu-based version over the years, and it seems that version continues to be the most popular for Mint users. There are good reasons for that, which I'm sure folks will have fun debating. 8)
Drogo

Post by Drogo »

The "Ubuntu" based Editions are more stable, The Debian Edition is newer stuff.

If you want maximum stability, go for Mint 9 LTS (Based (loosely) round Ubuntu 10.4 LTS) - it's been going for years so most problems are sorted out, but you'll be working with Firefox 3 (at first, anyway!). If you want the latest technology to start with, go for Mint 11 or 12. If you constantly want the latest available stuff, and are prepared for the occasional thing breaking after an update, go for Mint Debian.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Perhaps I misunderstood the OP. Is the question about the benefits of Ubuntu-based vs. Debian-based version of Linux Mint?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
podagee

Post by podagee »

debian-rolling release(never have to reinstall,through updates you get the latest packages,software,etc.)if you could get them to work properly.
ubuntu-releases every 6 months,hardware compatable(to some extent)more user friendly

just my 2 cents

Return to “Chat about Linux”