About DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas with KDE 4.7.3 and kernel 3.1.4

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exton

Re: About DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas with KDE 4.7.3 and kernel 3.1.4

Post by exton »

Of course there is an installer. Just open up a terminal and run the command sudo ubiquity or login as user live to Gnome if you want to see a traditional Installer icon on the Desktop.

Edit
I always assume that everyone wants to test my distributions live before considering an install to hard disk. I guess I should thank you for the confidence if you wanted to make a hard disk installation right away. But you are right: I should have linked to the installer also in KDE. I forgot.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

exton wrote:Of course there is an installer. Just open up a terminal and run the command sudo ubiquity or login as user live to Gnome if you want to see a traditional Installer icon on the Desktop.

Edit
I always assume that everyone wants to test my distributions live before considering an install to hard disk. I guess I should thank you for the confidence if you wanted to make a hard disk installation right away. But you are right: I should have linked to the installer also in KDE. I forgot.
I'm not that confident in anything. :D But it automatically booted into kde. I tried it out and looked around, then decided to install
it but there was no installer to be found.
exton

Post by exton »

Ok. Then you know what to do if you're still interested.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

exton;

I think you need to rethink and reconfigure that remaster of yours.....for one, you need to put the kde network manager in there for those of us who use it (and anyone else) and make the wicd an option for those who use that, especially for wireless networks. Next. once the system is installed, it automatically goes to mint as user ( I know, I tried, even as root with my password and it said password failed)....major flaw. As Bubba said, you have to log out of kde and into gnome to install. There is no way to have administrative privilages to change ownership of files and/or sharing...big issue there. Finally, can't set a default panel tray at the top of the screen, I get an idiot box about a plasma desktop segmitation fault on kde, desktop blinks, goes black, the comes back with icons and tray all screwy at the bottom....I like my tray at the top of my screen. If you make a remaster of something, make user friendly for everyone.....cheers and Merry Christmas.

Andrew
exton

Post by exton »

I'm not going to change anything because of your remarks. They are far too insignificant.

Panel tray at the top: Your troubles with that has nothing to do with my remaster and how it is done. It's a KDE 4.7.3 issue.

Wicd: Not important at all. Use it in Gnome if you need to. Then login again to KDE if you want to.

Root and password: As you might know there is no password for root in original Ubuntu/Mint. When you have installed DebEX-Mint 12 to hard disk you still can login to any desktop with the "old" password root. Do that and then change the password to one of your liking with the command passwd root. Difficult?

I try to make all my remasters "user friendly", but I can not go down to kindergarten level.
Landis

Post by Landis »

01.01.12, I downloaded the iso and ran as a LiveDVD..
things that didn't work or work well for me on a Dell Latitude D630 which ran the Linux-Mint LiveDVD very well.

In KDE (default)
1. wlan, network manager sees my 3 acp's (access points, wireless hubs, routers what ever), but It will not 'Authenticate' to any of them.. sets up device, connects, hangs for ever at 'Authenticating'..
2. the 'skin' or 'theme' you used is not selling it. It looks like Windows 3.0
3a. If I open System Settings (Desktop Settings) the video goes black and nasty. The interior of windows, boxes are Black and the text black. and it continues to get worse.
3b. I notice you are loading Nvidia a boot, I don't have an Nvidia card!
4. I could not, because by default you do not load openssh, test connection to other systems
5. Log out and Login to gnome, things look better, the network manager connects right away to any of my 3 acp, but still no ssh..

I don't want to complain too much, so I'll leave it here..

thanks for the effort,
Landis.
exton

Post by exton »

Hi Landis,

1. I have a note about Wicd on my INFO page: http://debex.exton.net. (And also in this forum tread)

2. Not on my computers. Never heard anybody else complain either. Please see above in this forum tread

3a. See above

3b. An Nvidia card is not necessary, but it helps

4. You can at least use Samba. (I forgot about ssh)

5. Yes, you have to login to Gnome once if you use a wireless connection.

Thanks for trying DebEX-Mint 12. I'm sorry you found so many faults. Are you sure you have a correct ISO-file? Checked it with md5sum? No burning problems?
exton

Post by exton »

Today I have (after all) decided to make a new "better" version of DebEX-Mint 12 KDE. I will upgrade all programs as per today (KDE to version 4.7.4 etc.) and the kernel to version 3.1.6. (The latest stable kernel for now).

I will of course try to correct the errors complained of by the members here. Some complaints were more serious than others.

The new version of DebEX-Mint 12 KDE will probably be ready for downloading this afternoon.

Ten (10) other "exton distributions" you may like. All with English as System Langauage (locale). They can be downloaded from SourceForge.net - Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory.
exton

Post by exton »

My new version (120104) of DebEX-Mint 12 Special live dvd is ready.

New features in version 120104 of DebEX-Mint 12
1. KDE has been updated to version 4.7.4
2. New kernel - 3.1.6-debex
3. Wicd is uninstalled. Instead, I made ​​Network Manager available in KDE
4. New links to the Ubiquity installer in KDE
5. I have installed SSH (on request)
6. Installed firmware for Broadcom wireless cards
7. Application Source for Spotify (Apt/Synaptic)
8. Certain appearance changes.

READ MORE
English
Swedish

DOWNLOAD
http://ftp.svenskalinuxforeningen.se/di ... 120104.iso
http://sourceforge.net/projects/debex/
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
exton

Post by exton »

Why did you do that? My posts are very difficult to find now. Was that your intention?

DebEX-Mint 12 shouldn't be considered as "another" distribution. It is just a remaster of Linux Mint 12.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Your two threads were in the KDE section
That section is for support questions for Mint KDE edition - the official one created by the Mint Developers
Your edition is not an "Official" version of Mint as it was not created by the Mint Developers - therefore,for the purposes of the forum it is "another" distribution and this is the correct place for it
exton

Post by exton »

Ok, I understand.
beever

Post by beever »

The installer fails to create a new user. It keeps user MINT instead coming back from installation. However, once installed, I can create as many new users as I wish , either in Gnome or KDE. Not a serious bug. Thanks for the Work !
beever

Post by beever »

I did 3 installations. On one PC - some Pentium 4 with an Intel 915 integrated graphic adapter - I had to get rid of < xserver-xorg-video-intel > etc. (using remove package from Synaptic) - otherwise availiable screen definitions were limited to the 4:3 format, leaving big gray areas on both side of my widescreen monitor. Still wonderfull for a one-man-job. Many thanks .. :o
podagee

Post by podagee »

cariboo brasero sucks.you should use gnome baker,its faster and a lot better than brasero.i burn iso's all day long without having any issues with the disc.i too use a dvd-rw.saves money.try gnome baker.
copy and paste in terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnomebaker/stable

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnomebaker

click on tools/dvd image and start the burn at 4x or 8x,8x works perfectly.

btw what ati card do you have?
beever

Post by beever »

For KDE, Kb3 is the usual CD/DVD burner. The interface is somewat convoluted but - in my experience - it gets the job done. I did wreck a Ubuntu Gnome installation with Brasero 9 months ago when said software was reapeatedly unable to eject the disk after burning. Later versions seem having been fixed. I di try Gnome Baker and Xburn after the Brasero snafu - but those 2 look lacking some options.
exton

Post by exton »

NEWS 120205
DebEX-Mint 12 has been replaced by MeX Linux » version 120205 based on Linux Mint 12 with KDE 4.8 and Gnome 3.2
podagee

Post by podagee »

beever: i am running mint 12 kde and i have gnomebaker installed and it works perfectly.i had k3b fail on me for some odd reason.
Blackened Justice

Post by Blackened Justice »

Is there any change of you posting some screenshots of this remaster? I'd be interested in trying out MeX Linux ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux”