Hardy Alpha 4

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Hardy Alpha 4

Post by exploder »

Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 4 has been released. My hardware seems to work from the Live CD with no problems. I am surprised because the release notes said there were problems with older ATI cards. I have an ATI Radeon 7200, that's old!

I try and look over the Ubuntu releases because they affect us to some degree. I urge those that have the time and drive space to do the same and report any bugs you might find. I submitted a bug report when Gutsy was in development and the bug was resolved for my hardware setup. If you have problematic hardware you should seriously consider participating, your input matters!

We are based on Ubuntu and unfortunately inherit some of the bugs. Your participation can potentially help thousands of user's of Ubuntu and Mint to avoid serious hardware issues. Too many people wait until a Release Candidate is available and by then the developer's are fighting the clock.

You will get feedback directly from the developer's on bug reports you submit. Urge others with the same issues to add to the report so that it is given the proper priority.

We all want Mint 5 to be a great release and good hardware support starts here! Your input can make a huge difference and be of great benefit to everyone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Hardy Alpha 4

Post by exploder »

I have alpha 4 installed on an extra hard drive. It is pretty stable.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I thought I would post some of the things I have found in case anyone is interested.

Problems

- The desktop icon to install is wrong, but still works. (This would not pass our tests!)
- OpenOffice Base is missing and still will not install. ( Known issue and will be fixed) )
- The background color will not change. ( The color you see in the desktop switcher )
- Nautilus still needs work. An example is when you try and change an action in Firefox, you can not get to the file system. Nautilus displays a message that it "can not handle network locations" ( These problems are being addressed.)

Fixed

- Pulse Audio is looking good and system sounds are working by default.
- The color on the screen after the GDM Theme, can be changed!
- Wallpaper can be changed!
- The "System Monitor" has a polished and complete look.
- Brasero has been updated to 0.7.1 and works well.

I am sure there are bugs present that I have not discovered yet, but all things considered it is very stable for an alpha release. The most serious problems I have seen with my configuration are with Nautilus. Hardy's development has an effect on us, so it is important to participate in it's development and report bugs. You will certainly want your hardware to work! I am most concerned about people getting a black screen at start up and having to jump through hoops to resolve this.

I do not recommend installing the alpha release along side your current running system at this time. There have been reports that it can break everything! I test on a separate hard drive so that my Daryna install is left untouched. If you decide to install the alpha along side your current install, remember to save all your important data first!

Just to let you know, Gnome is version 2.21.90.

You can get a look at some of the new features here.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... pha-4.html
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am still checking out alpha 4. OpenOffice Base installs and works now. I have no idea when they fixed this but it works.Firefox now accepts the path for applications when I change actions. The filesystem does not show up in Firefox because of the work being done to Nautilus and before the last round of updates I could not get Firefox to accept the path when I manually entered it in.

Nautilus still can not handle network locations at this time.Gnome Session errors seem to be a thing of the past. Compiz is currently at version 6.99 and seems to be working well. CCSM is not causing any problems in the alpha release and is working well. The menu still has a lag after opening sub menus.

The system boots up noticeably faster and the desktop loads faster too.

So far, a very stable system. I am looking forward to Mint 5 and seeing the changes Clem will make.

Edit: I have been trying out Firefox 3.0 beta 3, it is fast like people say but it still has problems. If I go to http://www.apple.com/trailers/ and scroll very fast the browser will freeze for a few seconds. Some file types do not display right too. For the most part Firefox 3.0 beta 3 works pretty decent.

Return to “Chat about Linux”