Ubuntu 12.04

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Re: Ubuntu 12.04

Post by bimsebasse »

Gosh you're positive - all the best to Ubuntu but it's not gonna conquer anything, there's nothing to suggest that, and the amount of manufacturers who ship Ubuntu in one form or another is comically insignificant compared to the real players on the market. A lot of Ubuntu users sound like cult members wrapped in dreamy vistas of world domination - it's an operative system, not a football club or a political party or a religion! :) I'll admit it's occasionally entertaining and livens up the geeky Linux community in many ways but the constant hype and brand-craze and relentless fawning over everything Canonical does gets a bit much. What's important is that the LTS becomes a more stable, more refined and more flexible desktop for you, personally, everything besides that shouldn't really matter too much.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

still...i have to go along with exploder...ubuntu has a very attractive, polished and professional look to it these days...the color scheme of the desktop, boot up screen, the look of the unity bar and the "dash"...even the themes are very attractive (though more should be added)...i personally like the light theme (radiance) because it gives things a very Mac like look (which i like a lot) :wink:

even the way applications look (the folders in the file manager for example) and the liberal use of the attractive ubuntu fonts for the applications....
all contribute to a real pro look...much as i like mint, in the looks dept, ubuntu really shines...it actually looks like a system you might find, say, on a laptop in a store...and that is a BIG selling point for it's commercial success :)

i'm not "fawning" over it...just giving my impressions on what is being presented...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

bimsebasse wrote:A lot of Ubuntu users sound like cult members wrapped in dreamy vistas of world domination - it's an operative system, not a football club or a political party or a religion!
:lol:

True. And you could say the same about a lot of Mint users -- and users of other distros as well!

The thing about Ubuntu is that, more than any other distro, they're willing to stick their neck out and try new things, for better or for worse. Kinda seems like that's one of the main reasons many Linux folks despise Ubuntu, because they keep pushing the envelope. But it's good that somebody does it.

Anyway, I don't care how well they do on the commercial front, or in the DistroWatch rankings or whatever. Just hoping for a solid LTS release to replace my 10.04 installation. And no, I'm not an Ubuntu cult member, unless I'm a cult member of the each of the other distros I use here, too!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Malspa, from what i am seeing when i preview the live session of the latest beta daily builds, i would say you have to nothing to worry about....12.04 is going to be terrific... :wink:
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

I have tried 11.10, and while I personally did not like it, I installed it on a laptop I refurbished and sold to a friend...she absolutely LOVES it. Great thing about linux is the choice. I will def. try out 12.04 when it is released stable, and even offer to upgrade my friends comp when it is out. Nothing wrong with trying something new, though i prefer Clems approach with cinnamon. And if Ubuntu manages to create a truly popular tablet distro that sells, then I will be the first to applaud.....even if many old school Linux users hate where Ubuntu is going, if they manage to impress and keep NEW users, then it is good for the Linux ecosystem overall. Afterall, just like myself, it is a small step to trying other distros after taking the(what seemed like) huge leap from the Windows world to Linux

*edit* okay with the power management issues for laptops solved in the 12.04 kernel, I have chosen to download and install in the space I left open...so in a couple days I will post my own observations.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

unity is an "acquired taste" many are not immediately taken in by it (other then that it looks really nice) but it kind of grows on you after using it for awhile :lol:
that's what happened with me anyway...at first i didn't think i'd take to it but i came back and gave it a fair chance and stuck with it for awhile, and before you know it, i was liking it a lot... :wink: :)

i like cinnamon a lot too (for a more conventional styled desktop) but unity has really hooked me in...
nomko

Post by nomko »

Do you know that it is possible to get the Mint menu in a Ubuntu 12.04 system?

Link:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/inst ... in-ubuntu/
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Nice 2010 year article :D
nomko

Post by nomko »

Monsta wrote:Nice 2010 year article :D
As long as it still works....
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

Try the Ubuntu forums...haven't even registered there myself, but since I am installing 12.04 on my system, however temporary or not, I will be registering over there.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Ah...but the old gnome 2 mint menu wouldn't work in present day ubuntu (because it is gnome 3) when that article was written, mint (and ubuntu of course) was still gnome 2...

However (and as i am sure you know) you can install Cinnamon in the current ubuntu...the ppa instructions for that is available at the cinnamon website...
It creates a seperate "session" for it which you can go into optionally (from the log in screen on ubuntu)...
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

craig10x wrote:Ah...but the old gnome 2 mint menu wouldn't work in present day ubuntu (because it is gnome 3) when that article was written, mint (and ubuntu of course) was still gnome 2...
That's exactly what I meant by my answer :D
craig10x wrote:However (and as i am sure you know) you can install Cinnamon in the current ubuntu...the ppa instructions for that is available at the cinnamon website...
It creates a seperate "session" for it which you can go into optionally (from the log in screen on ubuntu)...
Cinnamon doesn't have anything to do with the old mintMenu either, it has its own menu which is close but not exactly the same. :) Someone who wants the old mintMenu in the new Ubuntu should probably take look at MATE.
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

So I installed in my open HD space...aside from the install manually glitch, easily solved by booting into desktop first, it seems relatively stable, aside from refusing to recognize my Intel Integrated graphics keeping me in 2D at the moment. Of course it needs a lot of work...many packages I have installed simply do not work, though when I have time I will look into fixes. It does seem like 12.04 is more easily navigated than 11.10, though I cannot say that I like it. And it appears, at least to me, that the power management issues have not been fixed with the Ubuntu kernel
podagee

Post by podagee »

with the ubuntu 12.04 unity,ive had only one issue with the release.i couldnt install my b43-firmware-installer.still dont know why?with the kubuntu everything went very smoothly and actually loved it,except one minor issue,when downloading a zip or rar file i couldnt extract it?tried all kinds of things.a bug in fact.it still was a beautiful distro.eagerly awaiting its final arrival.

Return to “Chat about Linux”