Knoppix Install...

Chat about Linux in general

Knoppix Install...

Postby civint on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:14 pm

I intend on creating myself a nice respin of knoppix for personal use (basically, the system I crave...debian based, up to date etc etc), and I was just wondering, has anyone tried a hard drive install of knoppix at all, and what would be the basic differences between a knoppix hard drive install and a debian sid hard drive install.

civ
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Knoppix Install...

Postby muskratmx on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:45 am

Knoppix has three ways to do an HD install.

One;= just place the knoppix img on any drive partion currently occupied by another install, and place the boot folder contents in the boot folder, and edit grub. This will give you a live CD session running from the HD, it's unchange able unless you have the tools and know how to edit an img file.

This install is not at all like sid, it's an exact copy of the live cd.

Two;= You can do a debian type install to the HD, But you have to do some configuration because you lose all the hardware detection, and it unlocks the root account so you normal user won't have all the power it had in a Live CD session. I personally didn't like this method.

This one is a very convoluted version of debian full of knoppix junk. In my oppion very undesirable.

Three;= You can do a Knoppix type HD install, this basicly does a debian install to the HD but keeps all the functions of the live CD, root account is still locked, your normal user is knoppix and has sudo functions, the HD detection still functions etc. Except now you can apt-get and uninstall or install more software.

This is a high breed debian install, more like ubuntu than debian to be quite frank.

If your interested in Sid, I come accross a distro last week called "sidux", I've found it to be quite pleasent. And have installed it on my of my boxes so far I've not had any problems. You can download ethier a CD or DVD each of which are live sessions like knoppix but will do a HD install and give you a native debian system.

Quoted from thier wed site. http://manual.sidux.com/en/welcome-en.htm
sidux is based on Debian 'sid' GNU/Linux, and holds fast to the core values and social contract of Debian.

You no longer need to wait for a new release to always have the latest of anything, including kernels. Once you have installed sidux, all it needs is a dist-upgrade, which is a system-wide software update from debian and sidux.

This means that re-installing yet another release every 6-12 months on your PC is unnecessary with sidux, as the weekly or monthly dist-upgrade brings everything up-to-date, except the kernel; which may be upgraded separately as required.

As it is, an install with sidux usually does not take longer than 20 minutes.

sidux offers 4 up-to-date live-CD//DVD entry point release variations, these are:

* 32 bit lite, live-cd approximately 550MB +/-
* 32 bit full, live-dvd approximately 1.5GB +/-
* 64 bit lite, live-cd approximately 550MB +/-
* 64 bit full, live-dvd approximately 1.5GB +/-

With the 'way of sidux', you will be always up to date and have the very best that sidux together with Debian 'sid' can offer.

I've been quite happy with this distro. But still use Linux Mint on my laptop.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby yamawho on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:42 pm

The rolling updates is the reason Mepis switched to Debian in version 7 from ubuntu in version 6.5.

Sidux sounds interesting ...
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby civint on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:56 am

just to clarify then, sidux is essentially debian sid, but with a live cd install, and so no matter what the install date, I would effectively have an up to date system (like arch linux or similar).
DO you think it would be possible to edit sid like I would be able to edit knoppix?
Sidux looks very much like what I want, except with some tweaks it'd be better ;-)
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby muskratmx on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 am

DO you think it would be possible to edit sid like I would be able to edit knoppix?

I'm not sure what you mean by edit. If you mean install software, remove software? Yes.

but with a live cd install, and so no matter what the install date, I would effectively have an up to date system

Yes and No. You would have an uptodate of the last build of that CD image. I just installed the live CD. But when I did a systems upgrade it replaced nearly everything on my system. At least over half the system including the kernel.

One big plus. They have a script that helps you do the systems upgrade. And it's quite impresive. I managed an upgrade of my entire system including kernel and all the modules, xorg with it's drivers and everything else. I've never managed a systems wide upgrade of any debian system before with serous hickups.

Sidux is Debian/Sid with some added tweaks, artwork, and a few scripts.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Chat about Linux