Installing a Minimal System

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jiewmeng

Installing a Minimal System

Post by jiewmeng »

Ubuntu has Ubuntu Minimal CD. Is there something similar in Linux Mint? I want to have a base system then install the apps I want eg. GNOME3, lightdm, etc ...

I saw http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5&p=338392 but I believe it will give me Linux Mint Debian. What are the differences with the Ubuntu one? Can I have a Linux Mint Ubuntu anyways?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing a Minimal System

Post by xenopeek »

The Linux Mint installation media is available only with the default selection of applications. If you want a bare bones system, I'd suggest head on over to Arch Linux because that is the most usable "bare bones & add what you want" distro that I know :D Their documentation is excellent.
jiewmeng

Post by jiewmeng »

Ok, I did try Arch Linux in search for a Ubuntu alternative, as it appears to be bugged somewhat, I cannot hibernate/suspend (in fact it causes BIOS beeps on next restart, then I must manually restart it). Sometimes the focus appear to go elsewhere and I need to click on the window header (only, clicking in the window does not work ...). My opinion of Arch is its very updated (I found many packages I need available for install). However, when trying to install it, I need to configure many things manually, which I am not familiar with. It might cause me to break things and waste time in the process ... not really a Linux expert. Perhaps I will take a second look at it, and try to get comfortable
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Or... the Mint team could make a net installer....

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87998
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

I ques the question is why you want minimal install?

Linux Mint is designed for easy use on desktop computers. What means many common stuff are pre-installed.
I ques my point is that Mint isn't design to be small, more like distribution where everyting is ready.

When I install Mint, I do normal installation. When Mints up, before I do anything else, I start removing softwares what I have no use. After that I upgrade the system. Mostly I do it this way, because what's the point upgrading stuff what you don't even use. Then I add a few softwares what I do use, but is missing in default installation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can of course slim down a default installation. Or use remastersys to create your own minimal system installation (I think).

Some magickery to show the installed packages from smallest installed size to largest installed size (in KiB):

Code: Select all

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${PackageSpec}\n' | sort -n
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

A somewhat leaner version of Mint is possible by opting for the CD instead of the DVD install. Afterward, you can add the applications that you need and remove the ones you don't. For example, do really need the entire LibreOffice suite or does AbiWord and Gnumeric, for example, suffice for your needs? Do you need more than one browser or music player? I often install 3 similar applications and compare them for a spell, and then stick with the one I like best and remove the rest. :wink:
CanerburyElder

Post by CanerburyElder »

What am I missing? I can't find a CD version for Nadia on the website.
Thanks
-----------------------------------------------

Postby 3fRI on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 pm
A somewhat leaner version of Mint is possible by opting for the CD instead of the DVD install
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

I've seen several posts where someone asks for a Mini Mint. Each time they get shot down. "We have enough versions already." Why the attitude?
Maybe a list of things that are safe to uninstall would be helpful. All I really want for a grandma install is Firefox with the flash plug-in. If she can check her e-mail and do youtube and facebook, she is happy.
I don't think you can uninstall terminal or Software Manager, but those could be hidden in a Utility folder. Libre Office, bit torrent programs, Gimp, etc are out of here. I'm just a newbie and have no clue how to remaster yet. Just my opinion.
CanerburyElder

Post by CanerburyElder »

I have tried remastering and could not get it small enough.
The simple point is to get Mint on a CD, not a DVD. I am trying to help people who have XP on older machines who may not have a DVD reader and may not be able to boot from USB.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

CanerburyElder wrote: I am trying to help people who have XP on older machines who may not have a DVD reader and may not be able to boot from USB.
Then use Linux Mint on a USB and boot from a CD with Plop boot manager. Plop allows you to boot from USB on computers that don't support booting from USB.

Plop: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Linux Mint on a USB: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Try this, I installed it on a 10 year old single core laptop, replacing XP. It's LM 13 Mate, but it is cd size.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=103449,
worked well.
Seems the link is dead. If you can't download it, pm me and I will post the cd out to you.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint

Return to “Chat about Linux”