How to help improve linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hatool

How to help improve linux?

Post by hatool »

Hi Guys,

I know that Linux is developed by volounteers from all over the world. I would like to know who actually does it. I mean, I am not looking for names or anything, but am wondering (out of curiosity) how does one become part of the development team...

Also, how does one make suggestions or report problems to the dev team? Is there a forum for this or something?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to help improve linux?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

A Linux distro is made up of many individual programs. Most are developed by independent teams or developers, either by volunteers but also by paid developers (for example, lots of companies have one or more Linux kernel developers working on the Linux kernel for them). Most larger projects are welcoming of volunteers wanting to join, it depends on the project how you can contribute as a developer. Next to development that could be in translating, documenting, community management, testing, and so on.

For example, the GNU Project (the core software packages on a Linux distro) has a page here on where all you can contribute: https://www.gnu.org/help/help.html. Other large projects will have a similar page describing how to contribute.

The Linux User & Developer magazine is currently running a hands-on series on how to fix bugs in the LibreOffice project. It is in issue #108, #109 and #110. All can still be back-ordered for those interested, here: https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines/linuxuser.html

Return to “Chat about Linux”