Running Cinnamon 1.4 in Ubuntu 12.04 issue

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Running Cinnamon 1.4 in Ubuntu 12.04 issue

Post by rmcellig »

I am running the latest beta release of 12.04. I just installed Cinnamon 1.4 according to these instructions for 12.04:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

After a restart, Ubuntu hangs when trying to display the desktop. What should I do? How can I get back to my regular Gnome desktop? When I start up my machine, I am not prompted for a password when booting into 12.04. Options? I never see the login screen on system startup.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Running Cinnamon 1.4 in Ubuntu 12.04 issue

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

You need to disabled auto-login to be able to choose which desktop session to start (Unity, Cinnamon, and so on). As you can't get to your desktop now, you will have to do this from recovery mode (choose it from the Grub menu; hold shift during boot if Grub menu isn't shown by default). Then select to drop to the root console. Once logged in as root in recovery mode:

Code: Select all

nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
And remove all the lines starting with "autologin-". Ctrl+O to save, Ctrl+X to exit, then type "reboot". That should show you the login screen again at reboot, and with the gearwheel icon you can change which desktop session to run.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Thanks so much! That worked, but from now on, I was wondering if there is a GUI app that will allow me to do this in 12.04.
Take care,

Randy
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Probably, somewhere in Users & Groups settings? IDK, don't use auto-login :wink:
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Found it. Thanks!!
Take care,

Randy
Myself

Post by Myself »

I installed Cinnamon on 12.04 and it worked great for one day and I Loved it!
Far better than Ubuntu's interface.
It wasn't Cinnamon's fault that it didn't work for more than a day but the fault of Ubuntu.
I installed the daily updates from Ubuntu (did notice lots of syntax errors while the install was taking place) and rebooted ... then Nothing!!! except first a pink screen and then a permanent Black screen!!! ...and later, looking at the drive with LMDE, I discovered a scrambled hard drive!!! Lovely!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Myself,
the latest ubuntu updates to gnome-shell3.4 and clutter 1.9.x broke cinnamon in 12.04 http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=182#comment-2090
but there's a build compatible with the new clutter/shell (not yet available, has to go through some more testing) http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=182#comment-2209
Myself

Post by Myself »

ZeroZero,

Just my luck to do the updates rather than wait! I expected that once a Beta is working that developers won't do anything to damage the basics. I actually ran Clam on the mangled drive as I thought I somehow had picked-up a virus - something which is happening on a regular basic with one Linux related website I visit almost daily using LMDE with Chrome 17.0.963.79 and Iceweasel 13.0a2.

Think I'll skip wasting time with Ubuntu 12.04 and wait for next version of Linux Mint, with Cinnamon.

I noticed that Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't recognise my Intel graphics chipset so it was stuck with 2D. I did find reference to the driver in Synaptic but it doesn't install and so graphics was slowish.

Return to “Chat about Linux”