Which Distro

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rosswmcgee

Which Distro

Post by rosswmcgee »

Which distro? and travels along the way.

OK I have been using Sqeeze for quite a while, LMDE on another computer, and Mint 9 on my wife's. Then my wife got an Iphone. Squeeze recognizes the Iphone

for pictures as does Mint 9, LMDE will not mount the Iphone. So I decided to dual boot ubuntu 11.10 on the lmde computer. Ubuntu 11.10 will do more things

with the Iphone, but Ubuntu would not let me dual boot, lmde was there but the computer would not let me do it and I tried several terminal commands to no avail.

So I installed Mint 12, which has 4 different ways to run it, nice, but eliminated the little weather app that I like on my debian panel, and would not mount the Iphone.

So I installed ubuntu 10.04 LTS it sees the Iphone the same as debian and mint 9 and has the gnome desktop which I like. So we are left with only one option

which is Ubuntu 11.10 on my wifes computer to get the max Iphone utilization. Except I do not care for the 11.10 desktop and the over simplification of things

which makes things more difficult. Like you want terminal, you have to type in ter in the software section, like I can install Opera but find no way to run it, plus other options like you have to install synaptic which is a great tool, but you can see they do not want you to use it.

So I guess you just have to bite the bullet and surrender to Ubuntu on one computer if you want the max iphone help. I wonder if this is the

future of linux, or will someone come up with a better idea? OK done rambling still undecided. One thing for sure I am keeping debian squeeze.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craig10x

Re: Which Distro

Post by craig10x »

is it really that difficult to type the letter "t" into the search bar on unity in ubuntu 11.10 to get the terminal icon and click it?
And don't you realize that you can add it ("pin" it) to the unity bar like any other program you use frequently for quick 1 click access?
really, i don't see what the big deal is...use ubuntu 11.10...i will bet if you use unity for about 2 weeks you will likely begin to like it a lot... :wink:

i was like you...read lots of bad comments about it and had a negative attitude going into it...then came back and gave it a second chance...a week or two i had 11.10 installed, using it with unity desktop and now love it :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

By Jove I think you are right. I installed 11.10 am and getting used to it. Yesterday it performed all the Iphone updates on my wife's phone.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

rosswmcgee wrote:By Jove I think you are right. I installed 11.10 am and getting used to it. Yesterday it performed all the Iphone updates on my wife's phone.
see? :wink: :lol:
glad to hear it...and in about a week or two it will feel so natural you will be amazed....that is exactly what happened with me....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

craig10x, you and I have simalar opinions about Unity. I have used both Gnome Shell and Unity and I like Unity a little better. I could not believe I had to press alt to get the shutdown and restart diologue in Gnome Shell to come up, not very user friendly. I am fine using Unity on the 12.04 beta, the new features make it pretty nice to run. Recreating the desktop is no simple task but Unity seems to be getting there.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm typing this running a live iso of a recent daily build of 12.04...unity is really coming along nicely, exploder and i am really looking forward to installing the final release :D

I made the icons smaller (which is really nice) and i did turn on the auto hide...nice thing is you no longer have to worry about it popping out when you don't want it to (when you put your mouse near the left side)...I know that eventually they will add the option of turning the global menu off but i really like it because it gives that extra screen "real estate"....and using the lighter theme (radiance) i almost feel like i am running my old imac again :wink:

It's really easy to use "out of the box" and that should help "linux newbies" as well...but configuration options are slowly being added in....
The whole distro (including unity and dash) has a very professional and polished look...and unity continues to get smoother and faster to use...

You know, i would bet many more people would like unity if they just gave it a fair chance....that requires a positive approach...open mind...and a few weeks of working with it to get the "flow" of it...gnome 3 shell is not bad but unity is (as you said) more user friendly...
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

I read that 12.04 is removing Tom Boy. What did they replace it with and will it be part of the cloud as Tom Boy is?

Also I guess it is a lts with 5 year duration, am I correct?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

rosswmcgee wrote:I read that 12.04 is removing Tom Boy. What did they replace it with and will it be part of the cloud as Tom Boy is?

Also I guess it is a lts with 5 year duration, am I correct?
Yes...it is the 5 year duration as it is an LTS (long term) edition version of Ubuntu that comes out every two years...the question about Tom Boy hopefully someone else will post about for you...
edit: hope this helps (grabbed from an article i saw about it):

The feature removal will only impact on the Ubuntu One website itself. Notes sync to Ubuntu One through Tomboy or similar applications will not be affected.
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

Will this be an upgrade or have to be clean install?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

rosswmcgee wrote:Will this be an upgrade or have to be clean install?
while you would be able to upgrade from 11.10 it's always better to do a clean install i have found...
eric k

Post by eric k »

Yes, Tomboy Notes is being removed as of 12.04.

Along with Banshee, it is being dropped because of legal concerns due to Mono.

There aren't any plans to replace it with a similar application, you'll have to use the Software Center to meet your needs.
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

What is mono?
eric k

Post by eric k »

Mono is based on Microsoft's .NET; some very vocal Linux users do not like it and advocate for it's removal from the default installation of Ubuntu and other distros.

From what I've read, their dislike stems from the Microsoft association and potential patent issues that MS might decide to leverage one day to the detriment of Linux users. (Those more knowledgeable please feel free to correct/amend as needed)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The Mono websites answer best what Mono is: http://www.mono-project.com/What_is_Mono

I recall that the primary concern about Mono is not so much Mono itself, but the C# language used to program with it. Though part of the core language is published as an ECMA standard, and Microsoft has asserted it will not file claims against for using it without a patent license, parts of the core language commonly used by programmers (IIRC, regular expressions, XML processing and more) are not published as part of the ECMA standard and Microsoft has repeatedly asserted that those parts are covered by Microsoft's patents and Microsoft may decide to file claims against using it without a patent license. IIRC, Tomboy is using these parts of the language.

Return to “Chat about Linux”