The 12.04 Betas

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: The 12.04 Betas

Post by KBD47 »

The more I use Xubuntu 12.04, the more impressed I am with it. Firefox and Thunderbird 11 are not looking too shabby either :-)
freestyle

Post by freestyle »

@tdockery97 Thats what I kind of figured. Maybe I'll just stick with ubuntu 11.10 untill support runs out then maybe switch to 12.04 lts. Dont see no reason to do that at the moment if there really isnt anything new functionality wise, or super duper features 12.04LTS has that 11.10 dont.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

well, 2 nice new features on 12.04 is that you can make the pixels (size) of the unity icons much smaller (which i did and like it better that way)
and also now if you decide to auto hide the unity launcher bar (it's an option now not the default) then it doesn't "pop out" at the wrong time anymore...
also, it's getting very solid and seems to be faster then 11.10 also...just my impressions :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Have used the final beta for a few hours and it certainly feels faster than 11.10 from what I remember. Unity isn't my bag but I'm happy it was so easy to install and run Cinnamon. With the Ambiance Ubuntu theme it's what Ubuntu could have been in an alternate universe :D
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Nice screenshot :-) I can't help but think how much better Ubuntu would be with Any Other desktop than Unity: Cinnamon, Gnome-Fallback, MATE, etc. My luck has been terrible with the main Ubuntu release, but I pretty much enjoy all the others: Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and especially Xubuntu.
KBD47
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Looks great bimsebasse...i am tempted to add Cinnamon Session to my Ubuntu 12.04...just out of curiousity, could you switch it to the "radiance" theme in your ubuntu system settings and take a screenshot like you just posted...that's the theme i use on my 12.04 and was curious how Cinnamon would look with it... :wink:
I wonder if it works as well as the darker default theme (ambiance) does...

I take it that you can get the terminal commands needed for Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 from the Cinnamon website?

Unlike KBD47, i like unity very much but i also like Cinnamon as well...haven't tried adding the session up to this point, but i did run cinnamon when i had Mint 12 installed, so i guess i am a bit curious... :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

In 12.04 I use glebihan's Cinnamon nightly PPA:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cinnamon
There is also a less risky less up-to-date stable PPA:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cinnamon
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Oh, looks nice with the radiance theme i like to use :D
Thanks for posting the screenshot as well as the ppas...i think i will try it...don't know which i should use...stable or nightly....hmmm
any problems using nightly? is the stable one a safer bet?

Also i was wondering...once this ppa is installed, would i also be getting updates for it through ubuntu software center (just as one does for Cinnamon when using it on mint)?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Use stable if you're worried :) Cinnamon is somewhat more glitchy in 12.04 than in Mint 12 but otherwise pretty much the same.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

bimsebasse wrote:Use stable if you're worried :) Cinnamon is somewhat more glitchy in 12.04 than in Mint 12 but otherwise pretty much the same.
Thanks...by the way....wasn't there a problem with using Cinnamon 1.4 with Ubuntu 12.04 or had that been resolved? (i was reading some of the comments from mid march about it not working properly on 12.04 at that time)...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Should be resolved now, at least that's what I read on ubuntuforums
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

The problem was with Gnome 3.4 using Clutter 1.9.x and Gnome 3.2 (and Cinnamon) using Clutter 1.8.x. Since Gnome 3.2 was used in Ubuntu 11.10 and Gnome 3.4 is being used in Ubuntu 12.04, Cinnamon for Mint 12/Ubuntu 11.10 wouldn't work. The nightly ppa, at least (I haven't tried the stable one), is only for 12.04 and it use Clutter 1.9.x
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

As per https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/582 (last post) Cinnamon is now Ubuntu 12.04 compatible in both stable and nightly PPA. (Stable used to be 11.10 only)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

KBD47 wrote:Nice screenshot :-) I can't help but think how much better Ubuntu would be with Any Other desktop than Unity: Cinnamon, Gnome-Fallback, MATE, etc. My luck has been terrible with the main Ubuntu release, but I pretty much enjoy all the others: Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and especially Xubuntu.
KBD47
Minitube does not play video ( sound is OK) on xubuntu 12.04 b2 fully updated.

Do you have problem running Minitube?

# apt-cache policy minitube
minitube:
Installed: 1.6-1
Candidate: 1.6-1
Version table:
*** 1.6-1 0
500 http://sg.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Myself

Post by Myself »

Minitube 1.6.1 constantly crashes out on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. It also only plays about 20 seconds of many music videos, or just the audio, but does actually down the files in full despite this.

Return to “Chat about Linux”