can i change mint menu buttons and what they launch?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: can i change mint menu buttons and what they launch?

Post by Carl »

on0bi wrote:I don't like the software manager at all, so i downloaded gnome-app-install instead. Is there any way i can change the software manager button to run gnome-app-install instead?

you can change those type of things in Main Menu it's under preferences in the Mint Menu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Sorry about that I gave advice on an assumption :oops:

it looks like to do what you want you will have to edit some config files for the mint menu which unfortunately I don't now anything about :lol: although it's probably something in this folder which you'd need to edit maybe in the sub folder called "plugins"?

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu
Although I think this is probably a question for Husse or a developer :wink: maybe you should send a Private Message and ask... I also think this should be a recommendation so you can edit that part of the menu from a GUI :? (As I cant see an option for it if you can already?)
Husse

Post by Husse »

What's wrong with the software manager?
mintInstall is a very good application
To answer your question - you can't change what's on the very left in mintMenu
It's hardcoded into the application - it's of course possible if you are a skilled python programmer, but then you would not have to ask :)
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

on0bi wrote:
Husse wrote:What's wrong with the software manager?
mintInstall is a very good application
To answer your question - you can't change what's on the very left in mintMenu
It's hardcoded into the application - it's of course possible if you are a skilled python programmer, but then you would not have to ask :)

the only problem is i cannot find how to uninstall programs with mintInstall, to do that, i have to go into synaptic and do that. now that's no problem but i think it's smarter, and more convenient to have that ability in the app that installs other apps to being with. that's why i don't like the default software manager.
Right click on the application you wish to remove in the Mint Menu and you will get an uninstall option :D

although I agree it would be nice if the application said what was currently installed and gave an option to uninstall =]
Screenshot.png

Return to “Software & Applications”