[SOLVED] mintMenu is hanging regularly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] mintMenu is hanging regularly

Postby ahivarn on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Dear all

Whenever I type anything in mintMenu, it hangs all the screen a lot of times. I read one man's reply. He said something like

in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py
line 797 - 803 comment out the lines starting with thr

Code: Select all
                        if self.current_suggestion is not None and self.current_suggestion in text:
                            # We're restricting our search...
                            self.add_search_suggestions(text)
                            #if (len(self.current_results) > 0):
                                #self.add_apt_filter_results_sync(self.current_results, text)
                            #else:
                            #thr = threading.Thread(name="mint-menu-apt-filter", group=None, target=self.add_apt_filter_results, args=([text]), kwargs={})
                            #thr.start() 
                        else:
                            self.current_results = [] 
                            self.add_search_suggestions(text)
                            #thr = threading.Thread(name="mint-menu-apt-filter", group=None, target=self.add_apt_filter_results, args=([text]), kwargs={})
                            #thr.start()

Now I can't open /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py and am not sure if this solves the problem... :?:

Please help. I have installed Mint on many friend's computer and don't wanna Mint let down. :roll:

Thanks

Update: Opened the applications.py as admin using gedit and did what is there... adding # before thr to comment it out i.e. to make thr a comment.. This way now mintMenu works perfectly.. But still a pain to do this on my so many friends' computers. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by ahivarn on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahivarn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintMenu is hanging regularly

Postby xenopeek on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Don't get dramatic about it :D This is caused by the Mint menu search also looking with what you type for packages to install. It is a known issue on all but really fast computers, there are 2 possible solutions (if the first doesn't work, try the second). Both disable the Mint menu to search for packages to install.

1. Right-click on the Mint menu -> Preferences -> Applications and then deselect "Search for packages to install"
Perhaps reboot to be sure it is effected.

2. Do what you mention. Open Terminal and run following to edit the file:
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications