Remastersys 2.0-4 released

Make a liveCD/DVD out of your installed LinuxMint (Ubuntu/Debian) system

Remastersys 2.0-4 released

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:44 am

Changelog

2.0-4 - fixed issue with some systems for creating livecd user by removing shadow and gshadow from the temp /etc area as casper recreates it anyway
- added further cleanup of /var for the dist version livecd - should reduce size some
- added a check for size - checking to make sure iso size is bigger than filesystem.squashfs since
if it isn't then they have tried to backup too much data and the iso couldn't be created - added message to both gui and cli version

Please update your sources and let me know how it works for you.

It can be found on my repo:

Please update your /etc/apt/sources.list with the following information for remastersys:

# Remastersys
deb http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/repository remastersys/
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Remastersys 2.0-4 released

Postby rogerdean on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Hello Frag

Many thanks for all this - really innovative and worked a treat on Ubuntu Gutsy

I'm now running Ubuntu Hardy Beta, and not having so much luck. Have you had a chance to test? I find that my disks either don't complete booting or, if they do, the install process hangs at partitioning. Any ideas?

Cheers
Roger
rogerdean
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fragadelic on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:25 pm

Some have reported success and others have not had much success.

I haven't had time to check it yet but I'm not going to make any changes until 8.04 goes final.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mindhunter2202 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Does remastersys work on Debian? I found an entry in the wiki:

The remastersys debian package is being hosted for now as part of the Romeo Unstable branch of Linux Mint.

Here is what needs to be added to /etc/apt/sources.list to include the Romeo repository.

In a terminal window enter the following to edit the list:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

But the Rest of the entry is missing...
Mindhunter2202
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fragadelic on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:28 pm

No. Its only for Ubuntu and variants.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mindhunter2202 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanx for your fast reply.
Mindhunter2202
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fragadelic on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Her is a manual howto for both Ubuntu and debian for the livecd.

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/capink.html

Hope it helps.

I will be making a remastersys version for debian once they have a stable installer for the livecd. Creating it is similar since Ubuntu used the debian casper livecd script to begin with but the installer is not stable from what I understand.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mindhunter2202 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:29 pm

Remastersys for Debian would be wonderful! Thx Fragadelic, you do a great job!!!
I will try your link when I have more time. It's a little bit confusing for me atm, to many steps I don't know why to do. But after trying I will tell you the result. Or the non-result...

Mindhunter2202
Mindhunter2202
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stopa2 on Wed May 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi , although i am disappointed that there is no remastersys for debian , i am excited to find out about this tutorial. while rading it , i am not sure if this is like remastersys , when it saves changes changes in my application choices , copying my folders to if it just creates a clean filesystem. could you help me figure it out . I think it does this but than it asked to install things on the new filesystem, which was unusually weird
stopa2

Postby Fragadelic on Wed May 07, 2008 11:13 pm

You are going to have to give me some more information about what you are doing and what is taking place as I'm not 100% sure I follow right now.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stopa2 on Wed May 07, 2008 11:38 pm

basically , i plan to remaster debian but i am unsure about what the tutorial you are showing me is doing the same thing as remastersys . In remastersys, i make personal changes , like the icon-theme etc and than , removing all temporary and private files are removed , and packaged into a live-cd . is the tutorial you showed me doing this?Also, I got started on my virtual drive with a debian base install , got some packages like xfce ,synaptic and firefox but it has taken up 1.2 gb already. is this normal?
stopa2

Postby Fragadelic on Thu May 08, 2008 12:05 am

Put any config files you want every user to have in /etc/skel and make sure they are root:root permissions.

The howto in the link covers both ubuntu and debian. I'm waiting until debian has a standard livecd installer and then I will make a debian version of remastersys.

As for the 1.2 Gig size - no idea what you started with or how much you added. Is that 1.2G referring to the iso size or the installed system size?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stopa2 on Thu May 08, 2008 8:01 am

the installed system us 1.2 gb and i only started with the base system. how much will that compress to?
stopa2

Postby Fragadelic on Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 am

It all depends on what the files are made up of. Already compressed files will not compress further but text files will compress a lot. The onyl way you will find out what size it is going to be is to do it.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Remastersys