Remastersys Wiki Page

Make a liveCD/DVD out of your installed LinuxMint (Ubuntu/Debian) system

Remastersys Wiki Page

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:03 pm

http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Remastersys

This is a link to the wiki page for Remastersys.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Uncle Bob on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:28 pm

Silly question. I have installed Remastersy and wanted to test it out, however, I cannot "find" it listed in any menu. Do you perhaps have a idiots guide with step-by step instructions for people like me?
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fragadelic on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:31 pm

It has to be run manually in a terminal window.

Open a terminal window and then run "sudo remastersys backup"
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby maty1206 on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:05 pm

to Fragadelic:

Thnanks for this tool.

I have been looking for a script package since two weeks ago.

I'm developing a new edition, together with Spanish community:

Mint KDE kids edition.

Cheers
Linux Mint apps translator
maty1206
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fragadelic on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:03 am

If I ever get the time, this tool will be converted to python and a frontend will be created for it to make it easier.

I just haven't had time between work and the family - lol.

I might ask Clem to help with the frontend since he's more versed in python and gtk-python than I am at this point.

It also looks like I might have to get rid of the dist option in the future since it is causing so many issues and I've tried a bunch of different things with ubiquity and casper.

If anyone wants to or can help, it would be greatly appreciated. I received no response from kubuntu devs when I first posted this on their forum and their input would have been the most important with regards to getting it to play with kde nicely instead of gnome.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JAK on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:59 pm

Fragadelic wrote:If I ever get the time, this tool will be converted to python and a frontend will be created for it to make it easier.

I just haven't had time between work and the family - lol.

I might ask Clem to help with the frontend since he's more versed in python and gtk-python than I am at this point.

It also looks like I might have to get rid of the dist option in the future since it is causing so many issues and I've tried a bunch of different things with ubiquity and casper.

If anyone wants to or can help, it would be greatly appreciated. I received no response from kubuntu devs when I first posted this on their forum and their input would have been the most important with regards to getting it to play with kde nicely instead of gnome.

I'm guessing your the person to be asking questions about remastersys. I ran it the other day and it seemed to do something until I get to the part where is asks to insert the LinuxMint CD into the CD-ROM drive. Remastersys appears to search for the CD, but then it say it can't find the disk at /dev/hdb. When I insert the CD, it gets mounted at "/media/LinuxMInt 3.0". I tried to force mounting the disk to /dev/dhb, but that did not work either. Is remastersys hardcoded to look for the CD at /dev/dhb, or is there something I can do to tell remastersys to look for the LM disc at "/media/LinuxMint 3.0" ?

I hope I explained the problem well enough. I would really like to be able to use your program.

Thanks.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:22 pm

Hang tight for a bit as I work on some changes for it to work better with Mint 3.0 and up.

To answer your question about hardcoding - no. It looks for whatever device the OS labels as the cdrom.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JAK on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Fragadelic wrote:Hang tight for a bit as I work on some changes for it to work better with Mint 3.0 and up.

To answer your question about hardcoding - no. It looks for whatever device the OS labels as the cdrom.

Thanks. I look forward to the update. I was just looking at fstab; it would appear to me that remastersys is looking for the CD using the "file system" volume rather than the actual "mount point" of the CD. That's just a wild guess. What confuses the issue even more is when I use the "mount" command by itself, I see the mount point as something entirely different. Being a noob can be frustrating at times.

Hanging tight . . .

JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Remastersys

Postby g0lrk on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:58 am

I downloaded this and run it all OK until it came to the bit where it says how big it is and mine was/is 5140 mbytes and it said put cd or dvd in which I did but then it realised it wouldn't fit ?
It then turned it nose up and crashed out on me.
Any suggestions please or does it not write to multiple dvd's ?
Many thanks indeed.
Kevin.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fragadelic on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:33 am

It has to fit on a single cd or dvd.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby g0lrk on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:06 am

Many thanks for the reply and OK on it having to fit to one disc I will have to remove some garbage from the hard drive and try again.
Thank-you.
Kevin.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Remastersys Wiki Page

Postby Fornhamfred on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 am

Kevin

Not sure whether remastersys works the same as in PcLinux but I have seen comments there that you should unmount all other partitions on your disc and also clear all temporary files before you try to remaster.

Good Luck,
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Remastersys