succesfull install, but cant login

Make a liveCD/DVD out of your installed LinuxMint (Ubuntu/Debian) system

succesfull install, but cant login

Postby NiksaVel on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 am

Okay, I finally managed to get the distro cd under 2 gig... burnt, it worked, succesfully installed but than started the problems:

when I get to the login screen, supply login and password I set while intalling it doesn't recognise them...

out of desparation I try the login/passwd I used on the original system and it works :shock: but still wont login - it gives problems... that old msg that it's ignoring .dmrc AND another that it lasted less than 10 secs... so I look at more info it gives something like libvfsgnome problems with permissions in creating user gnome folders....

so I go ctrl alt f1 and create a new user (that I originally wanted in the install), set the passwd and than it accepts the login but gives identical errors...

the new system DOES NOT WORK...

while I loaded the livecd it worked okay, I could see all my games are there....

soooo... what do I do?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby NiksaVel on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:00 pm

here is what I did...

just to make it clear - I typed user maya to be created during install... user niksavel existed on the original system where I created the distro

chowned /home/niksavel for user niksavel - that made it possible to login as niksavel with no problems

chowned /home/maya for user maya - that allowed user maya to login but I got about 2 dozen error messages and than I got gnome with no themes no nothing... just two icons and a black backgrouns

In the end, I logged in as niksavel, deleted user maya and recreated it - no good, same issues

than I deleted and created a user under a different name (maja) and that one worked with no probs

I also noticed during instalation of envy that there are dozens of packages that I "no longer need" and should apt-get clean or autoclean or autoremove (dont recall)....

should I remove these?

Is it normal?

Why did I have so many problems?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby NiksaVel on Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:13 pm

here's another fun fact... I am almost certain that I read somewhere that remastersys will not install graphics drivers... so I happily started envy and installed the latest driver for nvidia...

everything worked

after reboot I could not login to x

installing the driver again got me into x, but after reboot I was once again in cli with the same error... something about different versions of drivers

in the end I ran the uninstal procedure in envy
than install

and now everything works :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fragadelic on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:40 pm

It isn't remastersys, it is ubuntu's casper and ubiquity that have an issue with the binary drivers.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fragadelic on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:48 pm

NiksaVel - I may have a fix for the 2Gig limit issue.

Haven't heard back at all from the squashfs author so I'm kind of giving up on that.

Just testing it out now and will send the package to Clem to put in the repo.

I'm up to version 1.6 now with all the changes that I have been making for Clem for the KDE version of mint.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fragadelic on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:51 pm

Didn't work out.

Back to square one with the 2G limit.

I hope the squashfs dev emails me back.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Re: succesfull install, but cant login

Postby skunkarific on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi! I tried the remastersys with Isadora, and got the same username/pw reject. Tried the username I had, tried the root name/pw, tried admin (no pw) admin (admin pw) and lots more.

Reding nicksavel's comments I can say I ALMOST can follow what he's saying. Can someone help me figure out how to log in?

default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 300

menu title __LIVECDLABEL__
menu background splash.png
menu color title 1;37;44 #c0ffffff #00000000 std

label live
menu label live - boot the Live System
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --

label xforcevesa
menu label xforcevesa - boot Live in safe graphics mode
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper xforcevesa initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --

label install
menu label install - start the installer directly
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --

label textonly
menu label textonly - boot Live in textonly mode
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper textonly initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet --

label debug
menu label debug - boot the Live System without splash and show boot info
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz nosplash --

label memtest
menu label memtest - Run memtest
kernel /isolinux/memtest
append -

label hd
menu label hd - boot the first hard disk
localboot 0x80
append -
skunkarific
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Remastersys