Graphics Issue..

Make a liveCD/DVD out of your installed LinuxMint (Ubuntu/Debian) system

Graphics Issue..

Postby DaJinx on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 am

Decided to create a remaster of my system as it is now. I installed remastersys and configured the option and chose the option for a full backup. After burning it I tried to boot into the livecd and it loads fine but when it tries to log into the desktop all I get is a black screen with color blocks. I tried three seperate times disabling compiz-fusion and reverting back to metacity but still the same result. Anyone have any ideas on what can be causing the distorted graphics? I do have ATI proprietary 9.3 drivers installed using Mint 6 Felicia.
DaJinx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Graphics Issue..

Postby richyrich on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:53 am

Hi,
Remastersys does NOT carry over your proprietary ATI drivers.

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/ubuntu.html
(2nd paragraph)
You should not install any proprietary video drivers like the nvidia or ati drivers as they will not be used on the livecd and users will have to reinstall them after installation.
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DaJinx on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:01 am

I did read that previously but I already had them installed and really don't feel like going through the pain of uninstalling them just to create a remaster. I will note that I did try the force vesa and still garbled graphics.
DaJinx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:04 am

Can you make it to the Hardware Drivers application and re-install the ATI drivers ?
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DaJinx on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:08 am

Nothing what happens is I get to the boot menu just hit enter and it start to load the LiveCD. I can see the progress bar and linux mint splash fine but after this all I can ever get is a black screen of garbled colors and two small blocks that look like the linux load screen that occupy the top half of the screen. It is strange and if I had a camera I would take a picture but I don't unfortunately.
DaJinx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:16 am

Something to try ? ? ?
At the boot screen, hit the spacebar, and choose Compatibility Mode. Once at the screen, arrow down to "Fix X", and hit enter.

If not . . . Image . . . you may have to remaster your Remastersys . . .

Richy
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DaJinx on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:29 pm

I had a spare HD so set it up and installed a fresh install of Mint 6, installed my preferred apps, settings, etc except for fglrx. Created a remaster and voila, it booted up fine. Now to try and install to see if all goes smoothly.
DaJinx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Glad to hear . . Image . .

Now that we've talked about this, I'm going to try an experiment on my test machine. I'm going to try deactivating my NVidia drivers, reboot, and then create my Live DVD through Remastersys. Retest the bootup . . ? I'll post the results back here.

Richy
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DaJinx on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:07 am

It would be something to try, I am still using my main install but will use the LiveCD I created as a "just in case" for convenience so I don't have to re-download all the updates and install/tweak program settings. I'd be interested in seeing your results.
DaJinx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Remastersys