remastersys root password

Make a liveCD/DVD out of your installed LinuxMint (Ubuntu/Debian) system

remastersys root password

Postby jclevien on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:42 am

Hello,

My name is Juan, I am new to these forums.

I tried remastersys, seems a good tool.
I installed a Xubuntu 7.04 livecd, OK, then the remastersys package and then I tried to create an ISO from my system like this:

sudo remastersys dist

OK, it processed the system and created the ISO. Good.

But... when I tested the ISO, and tried to become root to install some packages in RAM (note that I want to test the LiveCD, not install the new created LiveCD), the shell asks for a password. I put the initial root password I typed, but seems to fail.

I tried: sudo passwd root, but also asks for the actual password (which I don't know), also searched in this forum for a similar question, but it was no answered.

If you know which password I have to type, it would be great.

Thanks.

Juan
jclevien
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fragadelic on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:57 am

Root is disabled in Ubuntu so you can't log into it. A random password is generated for the live user and root.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jclevien on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:11 am

I see. In the original Xubuntu Live CD you can login as root just typing "sudo su", and doesn't ask a password.

Is there a workaround to this? I need to be root inside my custom CD, to be used as a rescue one, beside other tasks.

At least, it would be good to have a chance of setting a password.

Thank you very much.

Juan
jclevien
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fragadelic on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 am

sudo su works in all Ubuntu variants.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jclevien on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:03 am

Sorry to insist, but inside my remaster, sudo su asks for a password, I hit enter and didn't work, tried "ubuntu", "feisty", "bananas", and whatever you can imagine, but didn't work.

Where do you think the error could be? Does your script generates this password? And if yes, if there a way to know it?

Again. sorry to be so persistent, but seems that I found a bug, or something abnormal.

If you want, I can give you details, like: machine, xubuntu version and others.

A million thanks.

Juan
jclevien
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fragadelic on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:06 am

The livecd system called casper is what sets up the username.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Re: remastersys root password

Postby ergosteur on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:33 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread....
is there a solution to this problem? I just made a remastersys of my Daryna system, but it wouldn't login. I tried logging in with 'ubuntu' and no password, password 'ubuntu' and other possibilities. Then I tried doing stuff with sudo in the virtual consoles, but it asked for a password. as mentioned above, sudo su and sudo passwd don't work without a password either.

help please!
ergosteur
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:41 am

Go to my website and make sure you have my new repo in your sources.list and download the newest version which I just released last night 2.0-4. That should fix any user creation issues on the livecd.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mvisconte on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:47 pm

Regardless of how safe we are not having "root", forward thinking doesn't protect us from everything. My Mint-on-a-Stick (chewing gum?) refused to boot. Cryptic (for me, at least... something going on with GTK+) error messages gave me no clue other than to log in using a different mode and try to diagnose from there. Only... I don't know how. I can't get IN to the bleedin' thing as none of the attempts at entering "root" and guessing at (reasonable) passwords worked.

I am reduced to trying to enter the Mint file system externally while booted from a Ubunt-Usb. Sheesh.
mvisconte
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Remastersys