Remaster sys errord7

Make a liveCD/DVD out of your installed LinuxMint (Ubuntu/Debian) system

Remaster sys errord7

Postby Mr. Potter on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:25 am

Installed remastersys 2 in Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna, ran the "sudo" GUI option to create a "dist" backup (I know mistake number one right?

The process went through no problem, or errors. However when I tried to burn the .ISO the cd/dvd writing program refused to run, as did all other programs I attempted to launch. My own sorry, ex-windows user fault...rebooted and now weirdness. Mint boot's up no problem, get to my login screen, and after entering my user name (user), get an error that says:

Your "session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of disk space (not bloody likely). Try Logging in with yadda yadda yadda...

in the details i get this:

(~/.xsession-errors file)
(Process:5861): Gtk WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid this is not a supported use of GTK+ You must create a helper file....

Refusing to initialize GTK

(Process:5865): GtK-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid this is not a supported use of GTK+ You must create a helper file....

Refusing to initialize GTK
/etc/gdm/Xsession:Beginning Session setup...
Could not set mode 0700 on private per-user gnome configuration directory `/home/user/.gnome2_private/' :Operation not permitted.

To me the last line looks suspicious, but I'm not sure if it's a permission issue or what?

I've already run remastersys clean from the recovery mode, and done a chown <username> .ICEauthority to no avail.

Anywone have any ideas?
Mr. Potter

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Remaster sys errord7

Postby Fragadelic on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Something went wrong during the making of the dist option. I always recommend to run a regular backup mode for this very reason.

Having also run the clean option is going to make it harder now.

Anyway, when you get to the login screen hit CTRL-ALT-F1 and login as your normal user.

Do a sudo su from there.

Now you have to get the uid back on your user setup.

usermod -u 1000 (username)

Replace (username) with your normal username that you are trying to login with.

When completed, hit CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the login screen and try again.

The reasons for this is that the livecd will fail to create the livecd user if there are any userids 1000 or higher on the system. Remastersys temporarily changes the uid to 500 and then changes it back when done. My guess is that you may have run out of space or something similar that caused it to error out and not be able to complete the process which changes back the uid's. There is a file that is created in /home/remastersys that has the commands and usernames for the uid's to be fixed at the end and running the clean has removed that but the command I gave you above is exactly what it does anyway.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fragadelic on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm working on another method that would get rid of this part altogether so this won't be able to happen but I am still testing it out.

When I get it corrected I'll be releasing a new version fo remastersys so all you will have to do is update your package sources and upgrade remastersys after that.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mr. Potter on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Hey guys thanks for the fast responses. Been digging on the diffrent facets of the problem since about 3 AM. Here is what I've found (incidentally if my dumb a** had read the entire error log I'd have probably figured it out sooner..duh!). By the way, the error was on MY machine...not the .iso, I'm not sure if I mentioned that in the original post.

At the bottom of the GtK WARNING: I found this:

could not set mode 0700 on private per-user gnome configuration directory '/home/username/.gnome2_private/': operation not permitted

This caused GtK problems with the /compiz from what the failsafe terminal "gnome-session" told me (two processes failing, two problems in the /compiz file). Those /compiz files were looking for information in /home/username. My own fault for trying to push the envelope with remastersys I'm afraid , and take compiz settings with the .iso(boy am I glad I didn't start talking trash :D RTFM, I knew better). The program otherwise has been a complete success on several old Dell Latitudes with Ubuntu 7.04 and Lockdown Editor installed and configed. Like I said my bad, for not thinking about the Nvidia drives and compiz config. Some how the permissions on the /home/username/gnome2 file were changed to make the .iso (remastersys is supposed to do that right?) and weren't changed back, and that's what caused all the trouble I think. Did some digging, and thanks to a kid here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445645

found this fix

log on with fail safe terminal

sudo -s

chown -R username /home/username

sudo reboot now

BANG! up and running. No probs, even burned off my .iso...though I'm afraid to use it :roll: .

Many Thanks, I'll be sure to pass on my next dist-adventure (ok lame sorry..really short on sleep here guy's, sorry about the grammar and spelling atrocities too).

J
Mr. Potter

Postby Mr Potter on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Upon further review the two files that were causing problems in the /compiz were custom settings still contained in /home/username. Prior to running remastersys I had moved all of the custom graphic files to a folder in / called /profile. Apparently I missed two of them and compiz-fussion was still pointed at /home/username. Not that things would have worked necessarily after having configed the video card, and compiz (probably would have still had the /home/username/gnome2_private problem), but I think it's what caused the GtK fit. In the past after making changes to user settings and getting everything setup I've followed a diffrent set of instructions to trasfer the user config settings into the default user profile (can't lay my hands on them at the moment).

In my "Latitude" experiment this worked flawlessly provided the "Administrator" account, and "user" account were created prior to running remastersys, and the default account settings were pulled from "user" account. I was attempting to build a "dumb" VPN terminal using old laptops from work. The project was a success, and now have 4 Latitude's of varying models running Ubuntu 7.04 installed from the same remastersys disk. This was important as if you've ever tried to setup openvpn, with various users, and no sudo access, and a limited frontend, then make it simple enough for a soccer mom...it's not the type of thing you want to do twice! I wanted to add this to the thread as I really do think that remastersys is one of the better programs out there for creating distributions/backup's and have a lot of respect for the work that went into it. And more than anything if someone goes looking for a fix to the same problem, and happens across this thread...hey you goofed up...so did I, don't blame the program.

Thanks again for making a great app, and having such lightning fast responses to questions and problems.

J
Mr Potter

Postby Fragadelic on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:53 pm

You're very welcome. I spend more of my time over at the Klikit forums these days and that is where the main support area is for remastersys but I still check back here as regular as I can.

I'm glad it worked out for you and I appreciate the kind words in support of remastersys.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Remastersys