How to install java - SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to install java - SOLVED

Postby oldtraveler on Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I need java to play pogo games. How do I install it?
Last edited by oldtraveler on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldtraveler
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install java

Postby bobafetthotmail on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:00 pm

install openjdk-7-jre and icedtea-7-plugin from Software Manager or from Synaptics.

The first is an open source version of Java, and the second is an open source version of its browser plugin you will need to play those games.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby oldtraveler on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:17 pm

bobafetthotmail wrote:install openjdk-7-jre and icedtea-7-plugin from Software Manager or from Synaptics.

The first is an open source version of Java, and the second is an open source version of its browser plugin you will need to play those games.

Even after using Software Manager to install both of these, Pogo insists that my java needs to be updated.
oldtraveler
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobafetthotmail on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:32 pm

do the games work anyway? Because the java version of those packages is indeed not as up-to-date as the latest windows java versions, because most security patches needed by Windows are not needed here and would be a waste of time for the package mantainers.

If they don't work or crash or whatever, remove/unistall the packages above and do this http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install- ... u-via.html
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install java - SOLVED

Postby oldtraveler on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Thank you Bob.
Your link to http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-%20...%20u-via.html enabled me to get the java installation that I needed. Pogo now works.
oldtraveler
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions