Re: Conncecting using BCM4138

Postby ironray on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:05 pm

desktop ~ $ sudo rmmod b43 b4 ssb ndiswrapper
ERROR: Module b43 does not exist in /proc/modules
ERROR: Module b4 does not exist in /proc/modules
ERROR: Module ssb is in use by b44
ERROR: Module ndiswrapper does not exist in /proc/modules

-------------------------------------------------------

Is that supposed to be b44? What about the other stuff?

---------------------------------------------------------

ray@ray-desktop ~ $ modprobe ndiswrapper
WARNING: Error removing ssb (/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko): Operation not permitted
WARNING: Error removing ssb (/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error removing ssb (/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting b44 (/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/net/b44.ko): Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error running install command for ndiswrapper
ray@ray-desktop ~ $

-------------------------------------------------------

What's going on?
ironray
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby cogDis on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Yes that was a typo on my part. it should be b44.

sudo rmmod b44 THEN sudo rmmod ssb. It must be done in that order or it will complain. You can forget the part about b43 as you have it blacklisted already. It isn't loaded so there is no need to remove it. If someone else reads this thread months from now they may need to rrmod it .

I'll fix my typo.

CD

PS gotta, use sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Arron on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Im having some problems too.....

my hardware:
Code: Select all
03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

I have the ndiswrapper driver installed in the gui. it says hardware detected. As per some other howto, this has gottn me the closest to it working:
modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44

This makes the blue light come on for a second, and sometimes flashes a second time. If I go into network settings it even has the list of networks, if i try to connect it flashes back on for a second then off again.

Im close, but still no connection. Can anyone help? ndiswrapper works great on Daryna, better signal strengths, better speed and more networks seen.
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cogDis on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:16 pm

Arron wrote:Im having some problems too.....

my hardware:
03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

I have the ndiswrapper driver installed in the gui. it says hardware detected. As per some other howto, this has gottn me the closest to it working:
modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44

This makes the blue light come on for a second, and sometimes flashes a second time. If I go into network settings it even has the list of networks, if i try to connect it flashes back on for a second then off again.

Im close, but still no connection. Can anyone help? ndiswrapper works great on Daryna, better signal strengths, better speed and more networks seen.

About the only thing I can suggest (just a guess) would be to not load the b44 module as you are doing with modprobe b44. It will pull in ssb as well, which is known to interfere with ndiswrapper. It actually should work the way you have done it, as ndiswrapper should bind to your hardware before ssb gets loaded in this case, but you never know.

Have you tried using the b43 native drivers instead of ndiswrapper?
the B43 website has a pretty good run-down on how to do it.
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... fw-b43-old
The b43-fwcutter package is in the repository so you could skip the compile step and just install it with synaptic.

CD
cogDis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Arron on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Arron wrote:Im having some problems too.....

my hardware:

modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44

Ok got it working..... On it now. Something to do with the gnome network manager. I installed wicd (I strongly prefer this over the gnome one anyhow) in the process removed the gnome network manager and bingo, connection comes up and stays up. SWEET!!!!

I will post more details once i get some more time to make the process permanant.

Hope this helps others.
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Arron on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Ok got a good working howto i posted:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=14349

Please let me know if it helps or works for others!

Arron
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Previous

Return to Wireless