Package manager won't open...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Package manager won't open...

Postby stinky on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:35 am

Hi all,

I've been using Mint about a month now - having successfully installed it to dual boot with vista without too much trouble, I've grown more and more confident as time has worn on. Lately I've been trying to install the applets for the avant windows manager... It's been fun - kinda like putting up a ship in a bottle in the dark with really fat fingers...
Yep... I've been using the command line - typing things that I have no idea what they mean or do. for all I know i've been speaking Swahili to Swedes about the ability of a volvo to function as a screwdriver.

anywhoo, I'm not sure what I've done but now when I go to start the package manager I do not get a package manager, rather this lovely gem appears:

E: Type 'sudo' is not known on line 53 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Yep... not sure what that means, or what I should do... I really do not want to do a fresh install... can i fix this? if so how...

I might even be able to find some of the stuff that i pasted from ubuntu forums so you can see how i found myself in this mire... then perhaps you (someone, anyone) could be so kind as to lend a hand.

spank you very much.

stinky
stinky
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Package manager won't open...

Postby atlef on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 am

This error says there is something wrong with one of the lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Post it here, or undo your last addition to the list.

spank you very much.

stinky

I'm not into S/M, but thanks for the thought.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Package manager won't open...

Postby stinky on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:41 am

solved.
stinky
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions