Solved: How do I open Nautilus as sudo

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
big_dog1968

Solved: How do I open Nautilus as sudo

Post by big_dog1968 »

I looked all over Nautilus's menus for a way to switch. I tried typing sudo nautilus in the text editor.
When I was running the KDE version of Daryna, it had Krusader set up to automatically launch with root privilages. Is this possible with the gnome version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How do I open Nautilus as sudo

Post by proxima_centauri »

"sudo nautilus" in terminal should do the trick unless I'm mistaken.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Thanks.

Any way to make it open automatically as sudo?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hmmm, you could add a shortcut to the panel, right click - add to panel - custom application launcher. Put whatever you want for name, for command put "gksudo nautilus" and hit OK. You still need to give your password every time. Alternatively you could always just log in as root user :lol: . people generally advice against that, be careful when modifying files as root either way
big_dog1968

Solved!!!Re: How do I open Nautilus as sudo

Post by big_dog1968 »

Thanks again. It works great.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Solved: How do I open Nautilus as sudo

Post by 900i »

F2 then "gksu nautilus"

Don't login as Root, that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1

Return to “Beginner Questions”